C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 93 won't start

A friend of mine called me with this issue. He let the car set in his garage for months and put a new battery in to start it and it does nothing. All lights work but the ignition is dead. No click, nothing. any suggestions? Battery is fully charged. Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have him clean the resistor on the key with alcohol.

Could be dirty and the VATS isn't letting the car start because it can't read the key.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll assume no starter motor cranking and no starter solenoid clicking. You can get better help if you better describe the symptoms. Most likely it is VATS that prevents the starter from cranking. Unplug the clutch safety switch and jump the socket. Measure the voltage on the jumper with the ign in crank, their should be 12v and the starter should crank. You can jump 12v to the jumper and the starter should crank. If automatic, jump the gear selector switch at the base of the gear shift lever. If no 12v, then pull the kick panel above the drivers feet and find the two wires from above the steering column that go to a 2 pin connector and unplug. Insert ign key and measure the resistance across the two wires from the steering column. They should measure within 4% of the key pellet. Exceeding 4% is a sign that the ign lock is not making good contact with the pellet. A new ign lock will have new contacts that connect to the pellet. You can connect a resistor the same value as the pellet across the 2 pin socket in the wiring harness (goes to the VATS module) and this should allow a crank. On 93's you cannot leave the resistor in place, you must remove it and replace it on every crank attempt. The start enable relay may be defective which won't allow 12v on the clutch sw jumper too.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I copied this info and sent it to him. Really appreciate the help

Get notified of new replies

To 93 won't start

Quick Reply: 93 won't start