C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What do I lube my antenna with??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Domindart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I lube my antenna with??

Hey guys! I noticed one night my antenna didnt go down all the way, it needs lube right? Can I just use a household oil and lube the sections a bit?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

That's probably not why it's working poorly but you can use a light coat of oil. The gear inside the antenna housing probably needs to be replaced.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Antenna Lube

I extend mine all the way and clean (all 360 degrees the full length) with paint thinner until the rag comes away clean. Want to take care with your paint though.

Then use spray silicone shot onto a rag. Wipe the antenna mast the same way you cleaned it with the rag when loaded up with the silicone. Be somewhat liberal with the silicone but not so far to have dripping fluid anywhere. Silicone doesn't let much stick to it at all (so dirt doesn't stick to it while driving)and won't get stiff in cold weather. I use it in the door locks as well.

I did this when I bought my Vette in August of 2008 and haven't had to re-apply since. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Do not "lube" the antenna mast.
Dirt and other contaminants will stick to the mast and cause travel issues.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...at-to-use.html
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just clean it real good. RollaMoLT4 is probably right

Probably get hung for saying this but possibly graphite that youd squeeze into a lock cyl may help?! Dont know if it would gum up too.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I replaced the whole set up on my 96. I opened the gear housing and there was mud, crap, oil you name it, it was extremely gunked up in there. To install the whole antenna housing is not an easy job. Its easier if you remove the far left tail light. If you have a 84-90 you already have experience doing this step.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Domindart
Pro

thnx guys.. Ill try cleaning it .
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Domindart
thnx guys.. Ill try cleaning it .
The owner's manual says to clean the mast with mineral spirits applied to a shop rag or paper towel.

But, if broken bits of mast ribbon have lodged inside the antenna motor gear housing, it won't solve your problem.

You'll have to open up the motor to get to the broken ribbons of mast inside the unit, then replace with a new mast assembly from your dealer.

Here's how..

How to replace a C4 Corvette antenna mast
by Julian Shipp

Here are the instructions for removing the power antenna motor for service BEFORE installing a new antenna mast on 1992-1996 Corvettes.

The power antenna motor is visible from underneath the vehicle if you lay on your back and look at it from the driver's side of your car. Please protect your eyes from dirt and other particles that may fall from your fender well while you are working! Some people have opted to place their vehicles on jack stands and remove the driver's side rear wheel first, but I have long arms and did not have to do so.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Note the way the motor is oriented as installation is the exact order of removal. The motor is held in place on its mounting bracket by two screws. Use either a socket wrench with an extension or a screwdriver with a ratchet to remove the bolts. Note that one of the bolts has a ground/power wire for the antenna.

2. With these two bolts loosened, you will be able to pull the antenna down toward you enough to loosen the antenna gain and positive power wires located at the top of the unit. With all these wires removed, the entire assembly can be pulled down for access while leaving the wire that lead inside the motor housing intact.

3. With the unit now in your hand, roll up the black rubber sleeve that protects the unit from moisture, dirt, etc. There are approximately four Phillips head screws that hold the cover on the motor housing. Remove these screws. Also, remove the center nut that holds the antenna flywheel in place. With the cover off, you will see the flywheel and the main gear that raises and lowers the nylon antenna ribbon. You will also more than likely find bits or long sections of your OLD ribbon. Remove them.

4. Now is the time to lubricate the main gear and flywheel with either Vaseline or white lithium grease to ensure years of trouble-free operation with your new ribbon.

5. Replace the flywheel (noting its direction) and screw the cover back into place. Re-install the antenna, connect all the wiring and hook your battery back up. Turn on the ignition and radio and listen to see if the motor runs. If it does, you are ready to install your new mast.

Just follow the directions that came with it and you should be in great shape. Above all, be patient. It took me about four hours the first time I did this because I thought you had to remove the license plate, tail lamps and back up lamps to get to the motor. You don't! I could now do the whole thing again in 30 to 40 minutes (but hopefully not on MY LT-1 any time soon!)

Last edited by onedef92; 10-19-2010 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
puterami (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
xbbcoach
1st Gear

Can I use WD 40 to lube my antenna?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by xbbcoach
Can I use WD 40 to lube my antenna?
I would spray the wd 40 on a paper towel. Clean mast with it leaving no visible residue. The more residue the increased ability of dust, dirt, lawn debris to cling to it. Many times mast gets bowed a little and it sticks. Mast is easy to kink when trying to straighten, it doesn't have to be perfect to operate.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Domindart
Hey guys! I noticed one night my antenna didnt go down all the way, it needs lube right? Can I just use a household oil and lube the sections a bit?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

"What do I lube my antenna with??"

Is your question "code" for something else? If so, try this...

The following users liked this post:
IowaClass65 (05-11-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To What do I lube my antenna with??

Quick Reply: What do I lube my antenna with??