C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Accel Superram daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 AM
Karp
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Accel Superram daily driver

Okay okay before all of you get up in arms about this. I HAVE READ many of the post on Accel Superrams and all the airflow numbers for running on the track. Yet not many or any articles on using a superram on a daily driver.

As some of you know im putting a T56 in an 1990, picked up a two piece rear main engine with edelbrock heads, 1.6 roller rocker and a hot cam to put in it. I also by the stroke of luck stumbled across a Superram with the Accel intake, combined with 21lb injectors i figured it would be a great daily driver on the island.

While putting in oil, antifreeze in the new aluminum 4 core radiator,I heard the pitter patter of a leak....oh great...on further inspection. The leak is on the rear of the engine near the oil pressure sensor and distribitor. Radiator fluid dripped out. Great now I have to rip this superram back off, order gaskets and redo it all carefully again.

This intake is a pain to put on, so im wondering is it worth it for a daily driver or should i trade for something like a stealthram? She will drive about 40 island miles a day M-F once done and im not into racing her. Thanks for any inputs
Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Superram works great as a daily driver, correctly tuned it will not disappoint.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There is no reason not to use a SR as a daily driver. Just get the custom tune right and its good to go.

The injectors and camshaft choice may not be ideal for it in an outright power or race scenario, but as a driver they'll be fine.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I used the SR for years on the street. Great improvement over the stock setup. Good torque and could buzz above 6K. Ran low 11's with the SR.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

What makes your SR so difficult to install? Are the bolts slotted at the bottom? That is the trick Lingenfelter told me when I bitched to him about how difficult it was to install. He had me slot the bottom of the bolt so you can turn it with a small screwdriver. Final tightening by small wrench. Another way was to drill out the threads in the manifold and helicore the runners. After that, you can screw it from the top but do it with blue locktite which he didn't like.

I don't see why it cannot be used as a DD. I really would change the cam from that hotcam thing. Sure, you can go with a 74219 but you can make it more aggressive when you get a dyno tune and not "guess a tune". As to injectors, why 21? Was that the original Multec? Probably can go bigger for future mods.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 AM
Karp
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I took the intake off, down to the heads again, cleaning all the surfaces for new 1204 intake gaskets ordered and looking for SR gaskets. I may order a 30 x 30 piece of gasket material from grainger as I cant locate gaskets.
As for why i went with 21bs. It was recommended to upgrade from the original 19lbs to 21lbs Bosch ones with a new diaphragm in the fuel rail when the original went out (I didn't have the SR at that time)

For a tune, from my understanding there was a guy in island but he is out of business. I am looking into pcm tuning via a forum member and mail. I am always on the lookout for a new island contact, yet the aldl is older and was suggested a few time on island to drop the efi and go carb. For a drive by wire scenario.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

you could try contacting member named Dmittz
Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Karp
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I took the intake off, down to the heads again, cleaning all the surfaces for new 1204 intake gaskets ordered and looking for SR gaskets. I may order a 30 x 30 piece of gasket material from grainger as I cant locate gaskets.
As for why i went with 21bs. It was recommended to upgrade from the original 19lbs to 21lbs Bosch ones with a new diaphragm in the fuel rail when the original went out (I didn't have the SR at that time)

For a tune, from my understanding there was a guy in island but he is out of business. I am looking into pcm tuning via a forum member and mail. I am always on the lookout for a new island contact,

yet the aldl is older and was suggested a few time on island to drop the efi and go carb.

For a drive by wire scenario.
Have you talked to Linfenfelter Performance Engineering? I would suspect that as the maker, they would have the gaskets if anything. With what you have done, it is probably best to get a dyno tune to make it spot on unless you are the sloppy sort where "close enough" is good enough.

Any particular reason you rather "guess the tune" as opposed to the dyno? It would be more precise than me guessing what to write as opposed to seeing what the car is reacting to. I suppose if he is fine tuning with a datalog HONESTLY and not just telling you it is OK first time around. I don't believe anyone is that good AND precise to get it 100% right first time around. I am having to datalog my truck several times for them to nail down the right tune.

As to switching to carb, the people are just lazy and unable to learn new tricks.

You might want to switch to an LS system if you want to "drive by wire". Either the carb or TPI is going to be cable.
The following users liked this post:
Karp (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Went
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Are these the Superram gaskets you are looking for? I bought a set for mine.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.XLohm9h7laQ

Went
Old 04-20-2019, 12:27 AM
Karp
Instructor

Thanks to all. I know ill make alot of mistakes not being a complete gear head, yet thats how we learn on our toys. Lol

The reason im not doing a Dyno is I live in Hawaii and haven't found anyone who will dyno this old vette. I was told its too old from one shop and the one guy I knew who did moved to the big island.

Not sure why the intake leaked? Maybe I had a spot of oil or something under the rtv?

Get notified of new replies

To Accel Superram daily driver

Quick Reply: Accel Superram daily driver