C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 corvette lost speedometer and will not downshift when you go full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
kim90
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 corvette lost speedometer and will not downshift when you go full throttle

90 will not downshift, checked kickdown cable, its ok, but lost speedometer at the same time, is it the speed sensor and /or loose wire , does that sensor govern the tranny shiftpoints?, how hard to change? where to get a new one?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
C4happy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that the speed sensor does for your transmission would be contol your TCC Torque Converter Clutch and it is possable that is what you are describing.

Last edited by C4happy; 10-21-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Type error
Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

first do you have any codes?

Second the speed sensor wires got eaten by a mouse on my dodge ram. I got a light and it did effect my shifting. Repaired the wires and all is good to go.

So that is a place to start IMO.

I would think you can get a speed sensor at most parts stores. Not sure where it is on a vette but on my PU it was on the drivers side of the tranny towards the front.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM
C4happy
Instructor

Kim90 your 90 corvette has a 700R4 it uses a govener that controls your shifting in your transmission then the car starts moving the gov is driven by a gear and starts spinning it acts like a volume **** on you raido with hydrolic pressure the faster you go the more pressure it sends to your shift valves your shift valves has springs that fight the gov pressure so when your gov has enought pressure to over come the springs and the TV (throddle Valve) pressure it shifts to the next gear your only electronic valve in your transmission is a TCC soilanod
The dodge (RetiredSFC97) has, I am assuming it is a electronic shift transmission like the 4L60E that is in the LT1 cars
I am sorry my spelling isn't good but my mechainic skills are I hope you fix your speedo soon and I am sure that it will fix your TCC problem

Last edited by C4happy; 10-22-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: you to your spelling not my strong sute
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
kim90
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that switch easy to change, and is it bavailable aftermarket? what exactly is it called? speed sensor?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by C4happy
Kim90 your 90 corvette has a 700R4 it uses a govener that controls your shifting in your transmission then the car starts moving the gov is driven by a gear and starts spinning it acts like a volume **** on you raido with hydrolic pressure the faster you go the more pressure it sends to your shift valves your shift valves has springs that fight the gov pressure so when your gov has enought pressure to over come the springs and the TV (throddle Valve) pressure it shifts to the next gear your only electronic valve in your transmission is a TCC soilanod
The dodge (RetiredSFC97) has, I am assuming it is a electronic shift transmission like the 4L60E that is in the LT1 cars
I am sorry my spelling isn't good but my mechainic skills are I hope you fix your speedo soon and I am sure that it will fix your TCC problem
I'm sure you're right
Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM
C4happy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kim90
is that switch easy to change, and is it bavailable aftermarket? what exactly is it called? speed sensor?
It is locaded on you tail shaft housing it is called VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor Chech the wires like "RetiredSFC 97" posted it shouldn't be hard to fix if you can get to it,( lift or ramps) but be carefull anytime you are under something that can crush you safty is a must. If you are using ramps don't trust your parking pal used e brake and chalk your tires, your car can run over you and will.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
C4happy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kim90
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Autozone has it but I would recomend AC delco if it is avable?

Get notified of new replies

To 90 corvette lost speedometer and will not downshift when you go full throttle

Quick Reply: 90 corvette lost speedometer and will not downshift when you go full throttle