C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Interesting Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So after a little homework, a company called Varex makes dual mode mufflers operated by a controller on the muffler itself and a remote, pluging to engine or anything which is perfect... AND THEY ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Really simple but dumb idea... that probably isnt so simple so bear with me. If you had a dual exit exhaust like magnaflow or most of the rest, one of the pipes that exits the muffler, or even inside the tip, if you stuck a small bolt through it, then welded a circle "valve" almost the size of the muffler tubing to it then wouldnt the exhaust gas be enough to push it open depending on how much throttle was applied? Obviously the difficult part would be to have the circle weigh just enough so that >2000 or so rpms was not enough pressure for the exhaust gas to just blow it open, but rather just barely get past it. Then for it to weigh just enough that past those rpms the constant exhaust flow would be enough to keep it wide open. The flow would be pretty erratic but by that point its in the muffler tips so it wouldnt matter. Sorry if nobody understands that that was a horrible explination.
That's a good idea. I understand you. If you can get a valve thats loaded by a spring and mount it to the stock muffler where the exhaust would just flow straight through then it will be similar to the dual mode. I like the idea! I just have never seen a stock LT! cutaway to see if this is even possible. I like how your thinking!

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
So after a little homework, a company called Varex makes dual mode mufflers operated by a controller on the muffler itself and a remote, pluging to engine or anything which is perfect... AND THEY ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA!!!
Dang!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,752 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay

Kubs, I like the TPS idea.
Thanks. I know it takes more voltage to open the cutouts than the TPS sees so I was going to wire them into some relays so that when the TPS is in "X" voltage range the cutout is closed, then "Y" voltage would open it part way and WOT would be full open.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kubs
Thanks. I know it takes more voltage to open the cutouts than the TPS sees so I was going to wire them into some relays so that when the TPS is in "X" voltage range the cutout is closed, then "Y" voltage would open it part way and WOT would be full open.
Yeah, the TPS voltage makes more sense than RPM to me.

It wouldn't be that hard to program a little controller that said when >__ voltage (TPS) then apply voltage to cutout and when <__TPS close.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

The problem I see is that electric cutouts are slow unlike the vacuum solenoids on the dual mode exhaust. So lets say you get your revs up and they drop quickly then the e-cutouts wont be able to keep up. I also think that they are not made to constantly to be opened and closed... I wonder if there is a way to hook the electric cutouts up to a vacuum solenoid (replace the electric motors with vacuum solenoids)?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Here's a picture of a C6Z06 muffler. The inlet is way too high to fit a C4. I removed my 08Z system and replaced it with B&B Fusions which still retain the dual mode feature and I installed a switch on the dash to open and close them anytime. The mufflers are constructed so the valve when open goes through a straight perforated pipe in the center of the muffler out both of the outlets. When closed, the exhaust is channeled a roundabout way inside the muffler and out only 1 of the outlets.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 383vett; 11-19-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
Here's a picture of a C6Z06 muffler. The inlet is way too high to fit a C4. I removed my 08Z system and replaced it with B&B Fusions which still retain the dual mode feature and I installed a switch on the dash to open and close them anytime. The mufflers are constructed to the valve when open goes through a straight perforated pipe in the center of the muffler out both of the outlets. When closed, the exhaust is channeled a roundabout way inside the muffler and out only 1 of the outlets.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

So you dont think there is any way to make them fit?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

There is always a way, just depends on how much cutting and modifying you want to do. The inlet on the muffler is very high and I don't think there is enough room on the c4 without major hacking to the car. I'm just going by memory because I am at work and the car is at home. The muffler inlet can't be dropped because it lines up with the internal pipes within the muffler. Willie
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
There is always a way, just depends on how much cutting and modifying you want to do. The inlet on the muffler is very high and I don't think there is enough room on the c4 without major hacking to the car. I'm just going by memory because I am at work and the car is at home. The muffler inlet can't be dropped because it lines up with the internal pipes within the muffler. Willie
I wonder if they would fit if you turned the tips 90*?

Quick Reply: Interesting Idea...