C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Softer springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer springs?

What is the softest spring(non coil over) that is made for the later model c4s(1992-1996) that will work properly with the FX3?I know some of you like the rough ride but I would like it to be smoother riding & believe the car will handle better on the streets because of bumps & uneven roads.My reasoning is that with a very stiff suspension the tire can loose contact with the ground over bumps & with a softer suspension it will follow the road over bumps.Example-ever go around a corner quickly,hit a large bump & the car does that studder step sideways.Another plus(having softer spring rates) is when more power gets added to the engine(LE3),the softer springs with offer more weight transfer.The roads are not that great here & I am sick of my car crashing over bumps/potholes.Anyone here have "soft" springs put on their FX3 equipped vettes?Anyone else done this on their vettes-non FX3?Will sway bars help soften the ride?What you guys think/opinions?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94vettelover2
What is the softest spring that is made for the later model c4s (1992-1996) that will work properly with the FX3?
94 -96 cars with FX3 had the softest springs fitted to any C4 which was softer than the base FE1 for those years
92 / 93 FX3 had same springs as FE1 which was 2nd softest fitted to any C4

92-96 FX3 also came with same sway bars as base FE1; smallest fitted in those years

Last edited by vetteoz; 11-17-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the issue with the "feel/ride" of the fx3 are the shocks not the leaf spring. Coilovers on mine made feel way better in every way.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

think about smaller swaybars......
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Personally, if you have low limits on ride quality ANY sports car is really not for you.

I ride around in my 93 with my FX3 in sport most of the time. Why, I hate the little bit of floaty feeling I get in touring. Sport feels like it settles the car down and has less body movement. I live in a winter state (PA) and only on potholes and big cracks does any suspension crash come through. Then again our roads around here are pretty decent so, and I am used to a tough riding car.

96 used the softest spring rates.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

contact Vette Brakes and Products; they cook their own springs, anything from way too hard to limp noodle soft. just tell em what you want.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default contrary to old wives tales

Originally Posted by 94vettelover2
with a very stiff suspension the tire can loose contact with the ground over bumps & with a softer suspension it will follow the road over bumps...ever go around a corner quickly,hit a large bump & the car does that stutter step sideways.. Will sway bars help soften the ride?
you are on the right track

popular misconception is that a stiff suspension will corner better than a softer one, but genuine race car testing has proven, many times over, that the softest springs that can be used without 'bottoming' the chassis on the the road or the suspension stops, will allow fastest cornering...'limiting' factor for most apps (vettes esp) is 'ride height' (aka 'ground clearance'), i.e., low ride height requires stiff springs to 'keep it off the sheets' (low ride IS desirable to help achieve low 'center of gravity' with attendant reduction of lateral weight transfer/tire loading, don't 'jack' your vette up if fast turns are on your menu).

anti-roll bars (aka 'sway bars', arb's) were invented to allow softer ride quality when driving on straight roads while maintaining acceptable 'lean' during lateral acceleration (cornering)...arb's always 'add' some spring rate overall, mostly a relatively small contribution (few 'street' drivers will even notice if the arb's are attached/removed )...common 'racing' practice is to change springs as a 'coarse' adjustment to cornering, then 'fine tune' with arb's front/rear.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do know the softest front spring is code HA, at 60N/m
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guysWow I didn't know that my car is equiped with the softest springs.I do enjoy driving my car hard but would like it to ride smoother.Being a flimsy chassis plus bad roads here in Minneapolis=crashing over bumps.I love the adjustability of the FX3 & do notice its alittle more floaty in touring setting but believe the car also handles better in that setting.When in perf. setting it firms up noticeably with a very sporty/firm ride.I normally drive in sport as well as its a nice trade-off in ride & ride firmness.Anyone here installed softer shocks with their FX3?How about without the FX3?I took video of my vette right before it was put away in storage.I'm gonna try to upload that for sure in the next couple days.Its a beautyAnyways with the softer spring rates it will help with weight transfer with the LE3 package.Anyone with the LE packages or other performance upgrades now not able to put the power down(without slicks of course)?I want usable power to put to the ground with street tires.Don't understand those 1000hp mustangs.All that power is basically useless without slicks.On Youtube theres a 2003 mustang cobra with 600rwhp that loses to a stock Mercedes E55 AMGMy traction control is always cutting in,in the rain.Don't want a car that acts like that in the dry with all that unuseable power.I know I can call vendors or suppliers & ask but wanted your guys opinion/experience

Last edited by 94vettelover2; 11-18-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you want softer shocks, not springs. Shocks control the shock (jounce) of hitting a bump more than the springs. Sway bars affect body roll, they have nothing to do with ride quality.

And softer is not better, it is purely situational. If you are skitting over bumps while cornering it is irrelevant if you have slightly softer shocks or spings. Your car is not going to get good grip. If softer is better, your Grandmother's 1982 lincoln would handle better than your vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Softer springs?

Quick Reply: Softer springs?