C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 installation help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Default 4+3 installation help needed

My snails pace clutch job is at a standstill. I have the Clutch, PP and bell installed. I have the trans in through the T/O bearing and clutch and the bolt holes lines up, but I can't get it all the way in, have about a 1/2" gap and can't get enough push to slide into the new pilot bushing.
I'm working with jack stands -the large 6 ton versions, so I have about an 18" workspace -not too bad.
Is there any trick to getting the trans all the way in? I can hand tighten all 4 bolts, so everything is lined up -HELP!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Try having a helper push the clutch pedal down (slave cylinder hooked up to the bellhousing??) while you push the trans forward. Could be just a small misalignment of the clutch disc that is not allowing the input shaft to slide into the bushing.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Try having a helper push the clutch pedal down (slave cylinder hooked up to the bellhousing??) while you push the trans forward. Could be just a small misalignment of the clutch disc that is not allowing the input shaft to slide into the bushing.
I find this always works when I have this issue.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Thanks, I have been traveling for work and have not been able to try this... but tonight I'm going to try this method!
Should I just leave the 4 bolts hand tight or should I loosen them a little?
Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

loosen the bolts a half turn...may have the trans input shaft shaft 'clamped' against the pilot bearing (bushing) with the bolts 'hand tite'

normal to have the trans input argue with pb until helper relaxes the press plate by depressing clutch pedal, esp if using a plastic 'pre-alignment' tool, even my 'precision' steel alignment tool ain't perfect... ('fork puller' can be made ez from a small turnbuckle if you do this job often)

Last edited by redrose; 11-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 installation help needed

Quick Reply: 4+3 installation help needed