C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

mods for '92 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 PM
jim1984
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for '92 ?

What would be the best and most cost effective mods for '92 base vette?
The '92 seems to have limited upgrades, is this because it is being max out at factory or because any mods will mess up computer and warning sensors?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I think you might want to provide more details on what you want to do with your car.

The LT1 is very mod. friendly as is the C4. You have to look a little bit harder for parts and such, it is not a Chevelle. Look around on this forum and you will find what you are after. $$$ will be the limiting factor.

I have one question for you...how fast is your 92? What do you want, more handling, 1/4 mile, top speed...???
Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
jim1984
Navigator

Well...... Top speed is yet to be seen because I am still making sure car is safe and solid. I have owned car for 3 weeks. I topped it at 110mph and it seemed solid, But I need to feel this baby out a little bit yet. I was lookin for cold air intakes, but it appears from searching the post on this forum most aftermarket intakes are not a huge improvement, maybe K&N? Also thinking exhaust system maybe removing cats and installing y pipe with muffler eliminators? I'm not lookin to conquor the car world, just lookin to prime out what I have. I would guess most people on here have tried different things and know what works. Or hyperchip with thermastat. money is always a concern, lookin for most cost effective mods. as is everyone
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

OK, first if you have smog inspections, don't take your cats off. Second if you have a 92 you don't have a Y pipe, but you do have a resonater with 2 in and 2 out. You could start by taking that off and installing a x pipe. Magnaflos are a good choice for mufflers [thats what i run] but some will tell you their too loud. For a real kick in the as#, put in some lower gears, if you have a auto trans and you say its a base model you most likely have 2:59's in it. Some 3:73's will make you feel like you picked up 50hp.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jim1984
Top speed is yet to be seen because I am still making sure car is safe and solid......I topped it at 110mph

Horsepower costs money. There are no "cheap" mods you can do. Search the forum, this has been asked a lot.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Just for grins and giggles, my only mods are open air box lid w/K&N Filter, Muffler Eliminators and X Pipe, my best run with a crappy 60 foot of 2.28 is 13.52@108.83MPH. My car is a 6 speed manual with 3.45 gears. If I could get my 60 foot time down into the 1.9 range, we are talking a 12 second without any additional mods.

I recommend gears for an auto, biggest difference you will see, other than major HP upgrades.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM
jim1984
Navigator

thanks, That is what I was lookin for. I am going to do k&N intake with high flow throttle body air foil and x pipe and mufflers. I'm not gonna mess with gears now.Unfortunately it is gettin cold hear in Badgerland. Thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim1984
thanks, That is what I was lookin for. I am going to do k&N intake with high flow throttle body air foil and x pipe and mufflers. I'm not gonna mess with gears now.Unfortunately it is gettin cold hear in Badgerland. Thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Scotsman
Advanced

As a fellow '92 owner, I would not recommend the larger throttle body unless you're changing engine internals. Many, myself included, will tell you that the much hyped airfoil is crap.

If you're looking to upgrade your useable power, I would say look into things like 1.6 roller rockers, electric water pump, and headers. Those are three options that will not only improve your performance and set you up for more indepth mods later, but will get you around your engine bay so you can see the lay of the land a little bit.

It's your car, and you can certainly do what you want with it, but do some looking in this forum with the search tool for the things you're thinking of doing.

Most of all, enjoy the process of modding as much as the end result!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Don't waste your money on a larger throttle body. Run a open airbox as said above.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie

I recommend gears for an auto, biggest difference you will see, other than major HP upgrades.

ESPECIALLY if you have the 2.59. I think it's pointless to pick up a few horsepower here or there until you fix the gears. Like somebody said, you'll think you picked up 50hp across the range. It will be like you've been driving your Corvette hooked to a loaded horse trailer and you finally un-hooked it. 2.59s are horrible. I forget the reason GM included them in so many Corvettes, something to do with EPA regs or something, they're sure not there for any performance or even practical reason.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for mods that don't include making it faster, I would suggest HID headlights, lowering front and rear, new stereo system and maybe c5 brakes. None of those are very expensive, but really make a difference, IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To mods for '92 ?

Quick Reply: mods for '92 ?