C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'90 Oil Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 AM
kinbote
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 Oil Pressure Switch

OK, '90 L98 6-speed w/a leak from the oil pressure switch that was got bad quickly. Local dealer got me a replacement switch that's a little longer but physically fits just fine. However when we tried to put everything back together last night the wiring harness won't go in. It's the right shape but original piece has 1 pin connector and the new one has 3. We even picked the part out of a schematic that placed the part in the right place next to the sender. Anybody ever come across this before? This being Sunday the parts department isn't open so I though I'd ask here ...... Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM
rlf105
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are 2 oil switches; one is mounted straight up and the other mounted sideways on a pedistal on the block. 1 switch is for the oil gauge and the other is for the oil light. i forget which is which but i suspect the 1 wire sensor is for the light and 3 wire and tall is for the gauge. you should be able to get one at any parts house (autozone) on sunday. I had the same thing when i changed mine on my 90
Old 11-21-2010, 11:51 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Um, I don't think that is right.
The big one is for the gauge, and the small one runs the fuel pump if the fuel pump relay goes bad.
go to autozone, and buy one. if it isn't the same dimensions and terminals as your old one, don't buy it.
But the leaker hole can be plugged with a pipe thread plug until you get the right one and you can still drive the car.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

the switch that is behind the dist. has just one wire i believe.

the original switch on my 90 was 3 1/4 inches long the replacement from GM was shorter but worked fine.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
kinbote
Navigator

Thanks for advice. A-Z had the right part. Whatta difference as far as the leak situation goes. It seems the dizzy went in 1 tooth off from where I took it out but she started up fine, just won't idle quite right. Will re-time it when I can. I had thought the single wire let the ECM know there was oil pressure and the multi-wire unit was the gauge sender?? Thanks all.........

Get notified of new replies

To '90 Oil Pressure Switch

Quick Reply: '90 Oil Pressure Switch