C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Code 36 : MAF Sensor Power / Burn-off Relay Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by kitttransam
I know this is old. But I just had the same problem pop up. Code 36. Car runs fine but that ses light is annoying. My relays were already new and maf isn't that old I replaced it a few years ago. And I haven't driven it much. I did try swapping relays. Same result. Cleaned maf and connections. Code still popping up. I believe I have the same part# ecm that's outdated. So I'm thinking about getting the newer one to see if solves the problem.
What year is the car? Which part number ECM do you have? I would guess 1227165, based on your statements.

The 1227165 ECM was upgraded by adding a jumper for a second MAP input. Probably not applicable in your case since you're talking about MAF relays...

You might find some useful info in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-36-help.html
Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I have an 89. I believe that is the ecm I have. I've had it out before to swap chips. I've read about replacing the ecm with 88999194 and it fixed someone else's problem.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:31 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Well at the moment I went through the diagnostic procedure from the fsm. And everything checked out. Last suggestion was ecm or bad connection on the list.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM
kitttransam
Racer

I pulled my maf off right after I had my wife shut off the car. Nothing glowed red at all. So I'm thinking the maf is messed up. It is a rebuilt cardone maf. Which I've had for a bit. But it does run good still. Just want the cel light to be off.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by engle1147
The MAF burn off relay only engages for just a few seconds after start up then its job is done until the next start-up.
Actually that's backwards. MAF burnoff only happens when you shut OFF the ignition.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:03 PM
kitttransam
Racer

So I did some playing around to see if my maf is actually bad as far as burnoff goes. I put 12volts directly to the blue wire on the burnoff relay connector. And guess what!! That maf was glowing bright red. So then I put the relay back on and grounded out the black wire. Relay actuated and maf glowed red. Now the last but not least I grounded out D12 at the ECM. Nothing happened. So I'm assuming there's a damn short or broken wire somewhere between the ECM and burnoff relay. So under the hood where does that ground wire run? Along the back of the motor I assume.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Well god dang it. I wouldn't feel so dumb if I didn't stare at the same wire several times already. The ground wire going from the relay plug down to where it tees off with the rest of the harness by the battery had a big bulg in the insulation. Found my short and spliced it. Hoping code 36 doesn't come back for a while.

Last edited by kitttransam; 08-02-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:30 PM
l00kit
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Have2join_2
The old code 36 issue .... The result (for me) was to replace the ECM Computer. My car System is really sensitive to daily temperature and after investigation I can engineering-ly understand why. The computer I put in was a 99888194 but exchanged the '89 ECM EPROM. The burn off part of the ECM software would therefore be the same, this whole system it's a really big compromise between burning out the MAF and burning off the collected grime. Let me know how you go, if it really does not get solved for your car, I can blow the dust off my old notes and suggest a modification for the circuit. But with a warning my permanent fix will disconnect the ability to burn the MAF at all ...... users would have to manually clean the MAF sensor every 6-8 months depending on use.
I replaced the relays on my 87 but the service light stayed on but when I replaced the maf sensor the light went out. After 4 starts the light came back on for the same trouble code. Should I try replacing the ECM?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by l00kit
I replaced the relays on my 87 but the service light stayed on but when I replaced the maf sensor the light went out. After 4 starts the light came back on for the same trouble code. Should I try replacing the ECM?
Since this is a rather old thread I suggest you search MAF and your code #'s , start a new thread explaining all that you have done and what SES codes. Your MAF might have been OK but it is hard to tell since you didn't tell us the code #.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM
l00kit
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the code I'm getting is 36.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:38 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had Code 36.

some on here have been lucky to discover that one of the following fixed the code:
1. Repair broken wiring
2. Replaced relays
3. Replaced MAF
4. Replaced ECM

None worked for me, and I did ALL of them.

Finally discovered the voltage outputted by the MAF during Burn Off was outside the specs acceptable to the ECM, no matter how many MAFS (ECM, relays etc) I tried.

My decision was not to stop the Burn off from occurring (as it seems logical to keep it occurring if it was designed to), but to not report the Code once the ECM saw it was out of spec.
It WILL report an error code if the Burn Off does not occur though.

My advice is to thoroughly check the wiring, confirm the MAF is actually happening (quite easy to do) and if it is, only then look to replace components

Quick Reply: Code 36 : MAF Sensor Power / Burn-off Relay Issues