C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

$169 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Davejs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy brought over a set of headers and he wanted them put on his car. I have put on enough headers to know this is a PIA undertaking. These things went in like a dream without the need to "Clearance" them in the usual spots. Hey great I thought went to put in the plugs and had new problems they required header plugs and nimble fingers to say the least. They were not really bad if you need something anything to get some flow, just don't expect to make the best power and have long life out of them.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
surfer93
Pro

I had them on my 89 for 5 yrs and held up great.

2 things, they are coated in stuff to keep them from rusting. Heat them up and get the coating off, then paint them with ceramic paint. Second, put a quality gasket on and good bolts w/lock washers.

DO NOT over tighten them, like any header, you can bend the flange if you over tighten, but these are easier than most(thinner flange).

Best thing about these, 1 5/8" tube is best for a stock or near stock engine, do research and it will bear me out.

Make sure you put a heat shield between headers and brake booster or you will be VERY soorrrryyyy.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer93

Make sure you put a heat shield between headers and brake booster or you will be VERY soorrrryyyy.
lost mine this way, so I did a little DIY on mine.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Equal length headers as said are a complete waste of money and could complicate your install. Youll never notice the difference even with a highly modded motor. I bought into that bit and regret it.

Maybe the ones on the C4 are easier to deal with.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by Davejs
A guy brought over a set of headers and he wanted them put on his car. I have put on enough headers to know this is a PIA undertaking. These things went in like a dream without the need to "Clearance" them in the usual spots. Hey great I thought went to put in the plugs and had new problems they required header plugs and nimble fingers to say the least. They were not really bad if you need something anything to get some flow, just don't expect to make the best power and have long life out of them.
I have had mine for over 5 yrs and no rust, plus I use regular plugs with zero problems installing them.
The 1 5/8" primaries are great for stock or near stock, because you gain hp and tq on stock or near stock and they make best power for stock engines, did you have a heavily modded engine?

I had great luck and made good power on stock LT1 engine and 1 5/8 are perfect for L98's as you get great HP gains and a little TQ gain.
Though I would not put 1 5/8 primaries on a modded engine, I would go to 1 3/4(what I am doing now) or 1 7/8.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 PM
AUTO90VETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by surfer93
I have had mine for over 5 yrs and no rust, plus I use regular plugs with zero problems installing them.
The 1 5/8" primaries are great for stock or near stock, because you gain hp and tq on stock or near stock and they make best power for stock engines, did you have a heavily modded engine?

I had great luck and made good power on stock LT1 engine and 1 5/8 are perfect for L98's as you get great HP gains and a little TQ gain.
Though I would not put 1 5/8 primaries on a modded engine, I would go to 1 3/4(what I am doing now) or 1 7/8.
Yes I just have a stock l98 so that sounds like a good match! Thanks for the input!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Youll love the 1-5.8

I wouldnt move up to a 1-3/4 unless you were adding some cubic inches or over the 450hp mark. IMO too many run larger primaries than needed but to each their own.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Youll love the 1-5.8

I wouldnt move up to a 1-3/4 unless you were adding some cubic inches or over the 450hp mark. IMO too many run larger primaries than needed but to each their own.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
farva
Cruising

i needed to bring this back up... what does one do about the breather tube running from the stock passenger side header to the motor if installing aftermarket headers? I am a little confused as to what the tube does or what to do with the opening where it connects to the motor if the tube isnt in use.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
AUTO90VETTE
Instructor

The left one I believe is the Egr tube?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by farva
i needed to bring this back up... what does one do about the breather tube running from the stock passenger side header to the motor if installing aftermarket headers? I am a little confused as to what the tube does or what to do with the opening where it connects to the motor if the tube isnt in use.

The other is your AIR tube, air pump plumbing.

The EGR has function, the AIR is Emissions only .

If you need Emissions inspections you'll liklely need both.

TJM
Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
farva
Cruising

so what do i do if i get a set of headers that have no port for the ERG pipe to go?

and as for emissions... i live in florida. I could literally run open heads and drive anywhere i wanted
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

so what do i do if i get a set of headers that have no port for the ERG pipe to go?

and as for emissions... i live in florida. I could literally run open heads and drive anywhere i wanted
You block off the EGR with block off plates. Do a search for those on line.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of it. I am currently in the process of deleting that stupid pipe. You can just make a block off plate where it bolts to the manifold.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
farva
Cruising

Originally Posted by tehcarguy
Get rid of it. I am currently in the process of deleting that stupid pipe. You can just make a block off plate where it bolts to the manifold.
seriously? i have a buddy that has been working on chevy small block motors for some years now and he said it does serve a purpose, although not a big one. He said i wont have problems not running the pipe but will have a check engine light on at all times? He suggested i get the headers, drill a hole, and weld a port to the new set of headers... any thoughts on that?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
AUTO90VETTE
Instructor

seriously? i have a buddy that has been working on chevy small block motors for some years now and he said it does serve a purpose, although not a big one. He said i wont have problems not running the pipe but will have a check engine light on at all times? He suggested i get the headers, drill a hole, and weld a port to the new set of headers... any thoughts on that?
I've read that too, was gonna run a Egr block off plate and delete that stuff, but the check engine light would stay on and that would drive me crazy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Davejs
Advanced

You can add a vacu pan into the header collector and run the egr air pump into that and stay legal with all the performance gains and no check engine light should come on then.

Get notified of new replies

To $169 headers?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM
farva
Cruising

Originally Posted by AUTO90VETTE
I've read that too, was gonna run a Egr block off plate and delete that stuff, but the check engine light would stay on and that would drive me crazy
it would drive me nutty also. I am planning to get a new set of short headers just to go for a nicer look and am cutting the EGR port off of the old header and drilling and welding it to the new ones. A ton of people have told me to just go ahead and do the long headers but i really dont care. I am having problems with the current stock ones being a total eye sore. They are gross from oil drip and if im taking them off to replace the gasketes and i am not putting the gross old ones back on.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the EGr valve and the pipe off my car and it hasn't set the check engine light...
Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yea I would like to know too, b/c my TPIS headers were expensive and they are rusting. I thought they were stainless when I bought them for $700 or whatever they cost. Could I have gotten the same performance for under $200!?!

Quick Reply: $169 headers?