C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mad Dog Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
silverdroptop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mad Dog Transmissions

Anybody running a 700R4 from Mad Dog Transmissions?
If so what level are you running? I am looking at the level 1 and level 2 trans for my 87 Corvetter, mine has started slipping so it needs to be replaced or rebuilt and he seems to have some good prices on e-bay right now.
I thought I would also upgrade to around a 2400 stall lock up converter when I put a trans in the car.
What do you guys think?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Is this the Mad Dog that is located north of Tampa? If so, I can chime in. He is a really nice guy, but I would not recommend him. Mine went out and I went over there and picked up a 700R4 he had in his inventory. Big mistake. I should have had him rebuild mine and not use his rebuild.

First, after I got it in I noticed the case was damaged big time. Did not effect the install or performance, but very annoying - he should have rejected the core. A significant piece of the housing was broken off.

Second, he did not replace all the standard 700R4 parts needed to make it a "Vette" tranny, so it did not act like my old one did at all. I am most unhappy with its behavior. It acts more like a truck tranny, which is probably what it came out of.

Third, the little plastic speedo gear kept getting torn up for some reason. After I replaced it for the fourth time (he did it once) I swapped out the whole VSS with a magneto induction setup from an earlier C4. He claimed there was no reason it should have been torn up every few hundred miles, but I think the reason was the core must of had a million miles on it.

Sad part is I gave him my original as a core so now I have nothing to rebuild. Kind of hoping it goes out again so I can get something different in there.

Positive is that I beat the living snot out of it and it does not seem to care. Supposed to be good for up to 500 HP, but I am not even close to that. It has a very hard racing shift.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
silverdroptop
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, this guy is around Atlanta Georgia. He has what he calls a level 1 trans rated to 300 HP on ebay for $595 or level 2 rated to 500 HP with lockup converter of choice to 2400 stall. He does not charge a core and is only 70 miles from me. He seems to be on the up and up but wanted to hear if any fellow members had 1st hand experience
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Be careful of an ebay guy named Jason in Maryland. He used to go by Level-10 transmissions. I got burnt in the past with a big doorstop.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rebuild your original 1987 Corvette transmission.

Do it yourself if you have the skill and correct Kent Moore tools to do so.

I would not buy any mail order 700R4, other than from Dana at Pro-Built transmissions in California.

Or unless Pete K. Built it himself.

I rebuilt my 87 Vert 700R4 transmission myself last year.

Used only Premium parts, best money could buy, made upgrades myself,

and found all necessary Kent Moore tools on ebay with dilgent searching and watching.

Had tech help from Dana and Pete K.

No regrets rebuilding my 700R4 myself. Its done right. Shifts better than new. And has taken all the abuse I have dished out.

No slippage and fluid still clean as day I reinstalled my trans into my Vette.

7,000 miles later and no issues.

Cheap transmission rebuilds are just that, cheap and unreliable junk that will fail under heavy use.

Cheap trans rebuild will last forever if your Corvette never moves out of your garage.

Choice is yours.

BR

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 01-16-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a goggle search And read what others said about Mad Dog I was looking at his trans my self I didnt go with hm You see why.

You should be able to find a local shop to rebuild yours from $800.00 to $1500.00 Installed.

Labor cost for pulling and installing is about $200.00 which is included in the price above.

Lot shop will give you a 1 year warentty if they do all the work.

I telling you this I walked my trans in had it rebuilt got home put it in and would not shift I end up towing the car down to them so they could fix it.

The main reason I didnt drive the car to them in the first place I was doing a motor swap at the same time.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM
silverdroptop
Instructor

Thanks for the responses, I have a local guy that works from a shop at his home that I have used a couple times in the past as well as a few friends I have referred to him with good results. I just thought it would be nice to have one setting there ready to install when the old one came out and for the asking price of $595 I thought it might be an option but I guess I will just pull mine and take it to him to rebuild and then reinstall it in a couple weeks when I get it back.
Do you think a stall in the 2400 range will work good or is it to much? The motor has a TPIS ZZ9 cam, TPIS BigMouth intake, AS&M semi-siamised runners, underdrive pulleys, and true dual exhaust.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When the trans in our 86 goes out I will be using Jasper. Best company all around and they rebuilt the right way. It may be more but it is the way to go.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

My new tranny was between Maddog and Monster Transmissions. I went with monster and got a hhard hitting 700r4 tranny which wont shift into over drive under wide open throttle. So if im doing 90 and punch it, it quickly downshift into 3rd which feels awesome until I quickly run out of rpms. In other words I cant get the car to go over 130 without being in wide open throttle which means Im in 3rd gear You need to ask all kinds of questions. Bad thing about buying a tranny from out of state is if something isnt right, guess whos paying for shipping to get it straighted out! Buy your tranny close to home is the best advice I would give
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to order a trans try these guy I here is good about them.

http://www.performabuilt.com/transmissions-layaway.htm

I first purchased a Rebuild kit from Monster all I can say there kit sucked.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
silverdroptop
Instructor

Thanks guys, I was looking at Mad Dog because he is only 70 miles from me and he had the level 1 for sale at $595. It would have been nice to have a trans ready to slip right back in when I drop mine out but not worth taking a chance on.
I think I will just have my local guy rebuild mine, I have had several done by him in the past with good results.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl

I would not buy any mail order 700R4, other than from Dana at Pro-Built transmissions in California.

BR

I've installed 3 shift kits in 700r4's, including my 93 Corvette. I've ordered the ASTM manuals from Dana, and Pete K has helped me via PMs. What I've learned is that there are numerous different valve body configurations specific to each year and ESPECIALLY Corvettes.

Unless you're dealing with a shop with Corvette auto trans experience they'll probably make honest mistakes.

I had an otherwise great shop replace a cracked pump, and they put in some non-Corvette stuff that I've since fixed. It didn't screw up anything it just didn't shift exactly the same.

I've since put in a B&M shift kit (the one everybody except people who use it talk trash about) & some parts Dana recommended.

Shifts hard, but not at really light throttle, and responds well to throttle (downshifting).
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
0MADDOGLOU
Former Vendor

Default maddogtransmissions 770-781-0949

Features
•Level 3 4L60E/4L65E
•(FREE SHIPPING AND CONVERTER)
•Installation and extended warranties available
•All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
•-all new lip seals
•-all new gaskets
•-all new Teflon rings
•-new filter
•-all new steels
•-all new bushings
•-all new Raybestos clutch discs
•-all new sprags
•The Level 3 4L60E/4L65E comes with a new force motor, new shift solenoids, new 3/2 downshift solenoid, new TCC solenoids, new pressure manifold and a special Sonnax valve that is specifically made for the GM code 1870, which is very common on these particular units.
•This Level 3 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Raybestos Z-PAK with 13 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the Z-PAK also has specialized heat treated steels that withstand much more abuse, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), hardened input shaft and drum, hardened output shaft and all planets are cryogenically freezed, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
•We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
•This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
•NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
•-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
•-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
•-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!
•“NECK BRACE NOT INCLUDED !!!” If YOU’VE got THE HORSEPOWER we have the transmission. LEVEL 3!
• If you send/bring me your core in good, rebuildable condition, your price will receive a $100.00 core refund.
•***Note: If application of vehicle has a 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 7.0L engine (any 1998 application and newer LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, LQ4), If the customer’s core is returned in a condition that it can be rebuilt (no cracks and within 15 days), a refund will be processed to the customer.
•Installations are available on all our transmissions.
•These transmissions are a direct replacement for your GM vehicle. No modifications or custom tuning necessary.
•If you are looking for an overdrive transmission for your old school vehicle, we can do the complete installation or send you our conversion kit.
•Extended warranties are available on all our transmissions.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
0MADDOGLOU
Former Vendor

We have been located now and Cumming Georgia for over five years.

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 05-21-2017, 10:20 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lou

Originally Posted by MADDOGLOU
We have been located now and Cumming Georgia for over five years.

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
i just got burned ...Lou is never there...i think hes not there at alll
calling for 9 months...trans lasted 100 miles they got me and many others BEWARE

Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

A 2400 stall may not be enough for that engine/cam combination. You should be able to get a performance rebuild on your core and save a few dollars, that's with a reputable trans shop.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl

Used only Premium parts, best money could buy, made upgrades myself,

and found all necessary Kent Moore tools on ebay with dilgent searching and watching.

Had tech help from Dana and Pete K.

No regrets rebuilding my 700R4 myself. Its done right. Shifts better than new. And has taken all the abuse I have dished out.

No slippage and fluid still clean as day I reinstalled my trans into my Vette.

7,000 miles later and no issues.

Cheap transmission rebuilds are just that, cheap and unreliable junk that will fail under heavy use.

Cheap trans rebuild will last forever if your Corvette never moves out of your garage.

Choice is yours.

BR
And you passed the torch and helped me rebuild my transmission.

Thanks again! ​​​​​​​
Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bull shi rip off

Originally Posted by MADDOGLOU
Features
•Level 3 4L60E/4L65E
•(FREE SHIPPING AND CONVERTER)
•Installation and extended warranties available
•All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
•-all new lip seals
•-all new gaskets
•-all new Teflon rings
•-new filter
•-all new steels
•-all new bushings
•-all new Raybestos clutch discs
•-all new sprags
•The Level 3 4L60E/4L65E comes with a new force motor, new shift solenoids, new 3/2 downshift solenoid, new TCC solenoids, new pressure manifold and a special Sonnax valve that is specifically made for the GM code 1870, which is very common on these particular units.
•This Level 3 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Raybestos Z-PAK with 13 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the Z-PAK also has specialized heat treated steels that withstand much more abuse, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), hardened input shaft and drum, hardened output shaft and all planets are cryogenically freezed, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
•We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
•This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
•NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
•-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
•-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
•-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!
•“NECK BRACE NOT INCLUDED !!!” If YOU’VE got THE HORSEPOWER we have the transmission. LEVEL 3!
• If you send/bring me your core in good, rebuildable condition, your price will receive a $100.00 core refund.
•***Note: If application of vehicle has a 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 7.0L engine (any 1998 application and newer LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, LQ4), If the customer’s core is returned in a condition that it can be rebuilt (no cracks and within 15 days), a refund will be processed to the customer.
•Installations are available on all our transmissions.
•These transmissions are a direct replacement for your GM vehicle. No modifications or custom tuning necessary.
•If you are looking for an overdrive transmission for your old school vehicle, we can do the complete installation or send you our conversion kit.
•Extended warranties are available on all our transmissions.
ya riped me off ...trans lasted 100 miles wont answer phone dont belive this add ..they suck...just google it

Get notified of new replies

To Mad Dog Transmissions

Quick Reply: Mad Dog Transmissions