C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Distributer Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Distributer Location

Just did the major tune to my 85 and I really puzzled over the dizzy cap removal. I finally removed the rain water diverter strip that mounts across the cowl right below the wiper pivots and screened air intakes to access the back screw. Since there was 18 torx screws holding this strip on I wonder if there is an easier way?? I almost decided to drill a hole in the strip but decided the cap still probly wouldnt come off. The PO used the wrong wires that didnt fit the retainer ring so I may have the wrong perspective.

Whatcha think? Any magic wand to get to the back screw?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are overcomplicating a very simple task.

Simply mark the distributor to the engine, loosen the distributor hold down clamp with a "distributor wrench", and now simply rotate the distributor as needed to gain straight down access to the cap screws from above away from under the cowl. Once done replacing the cap realign the distributor to the marks you made before you moved it and cinch the distributor hold down clamp back down. Done.

It's a 9/16" distributor wrench. Got mine at Sears.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

After reading your response I have to agree. Never crossed my mind to loosen the dizzy and rotate it. Ive gotten so used to taking 4 parts off to get to what I need to it just seemed normal I guess. The wrong wires pretty much jammed the retainer into the cowl so I figured it was the easiest way to get the cap off.

Thanks Pacer!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I have done it both ways, looses the hold down distributor bolt and rotate the distributor. I have also used a screwdriver with a LONG extension. The screwdriver that I have have the bits as a separate item that are held in place magnetically. I put in the extension instead of the bit and tape it with electrical tape so it will not separate then add the bit needed for the cap and tape this also. You have to push it hard against the rubber water diverter. It is difficult, but can be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributer Location

Quick Reply: Distributer Location