C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Clamps, Lap Joint question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Clamps, Lap Joint question

When clamping down a pipe into a pipe, lap joints clamps are the preferred. Walker 33226 is an example of one.
But, Is there a sealant or some material that goes into the clamp prior to tightening? I have seen some at stores with a thick black puddy looking material that looks like a sealant, and some that dont.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

If you have a lap (slip) joint then yes, if you are butting two of the same diameter pipes together then get a butt clamp.

I used some of the Walkers and Summit Racing 3" and they both had that stuff that when you bolted down spread out around the joint in the clamp. I didn't add any and they really did quite a surprisingly good job.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
If you have a lap (slip) joint then yes, if you are butting two of the same diameter pipes together then get a butt clamp.

I used some of the Walkers and Summit Racing 3" and they both had that stuff that when you bolted down spread out around the joint in the clamp. I didn't add any and they really did quite a surprisingly good job.
Thanks, I just ordered the walkers. I hope this puddy stuff works.
Mine is on passenger side where there is an extension from the header going into the cat back portion of the exhaust. Its 2 /1/2 inches.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Clamps, Lap Joint question

Quick Reply: Exhaust Clamps, Lap Joint question