C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Listing to Port?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Listing to Port?

The motor is 3/4" lower on the drivers side than the passenger?

New motor mounts have been installed, and it has not been run yet [ starter/header issues and a list of other annoying surprises] ?

The front frame cradle is a 1990 and the frame is a 1984 [ cannot imagine that causing the issue?? .. but?]

My partners are of the opinion it is merely the result of the new motor mounts and the motor will level up when started and stressed...

Hard to believe that, but I have seen weirder things on Corvette? Like the suspension settling issue?

Anybody ever seen this, and did it go away??

Thanks

TJM
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
C4Betts
Advanced

Not sure on the '90 but on my '89 both engine mounts are the same part.

For the heck of it - if it is still easy enough to do - try swapping sides with the mounts and see what happens. May want to mark them prior to removal so you know for a fact they've been swapped (I'm getting to an age where I put stuff down and then they say crap! which one is which now!)

I used Advance Auto parts mounts when I put my engine in a week ago. Anchor I think is the brand. Crap... Bolt holes for mounting to block had to be 'modified' on one of them to get it to even bolt onto the block. The area for the long through bolt was too wide to fit between the frame mount tabs (even after I spread them a tad) so that had to get 'modified' too.

Point being unless you know you have quality mounts, it certainly could be them causing the problem...
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4Betts
Not sure on the '90 but on my '89 both engine mounts are the same part.

For the heck of it - if it is still easy enough to do - try swapping sides with the mounts and see what happens. May want to mark them prior to removal so you know for a fact they've been swapped (I'm getting to an age where I put stuff down and then they say crap! which one is which now!)

I used Advance Auto parts mounts when I put my engine in a week ago. Anchor I think is the brand. Crap... Bolt holes for mounting to block had to be 'modified' on one of them to get it to even bolt onto the block. The area for the long through bolt was too wide to fit between the frame mount tabs (even after I spread them a tad) so that had to get 'modified' too.

Point being unless you know you have quality mounts, it certainly could be them causing the problem...

May give that a shot it things don't "right themselves" after start up .

Funny you suggest the motor mounts quality. I had a tread a few months ago about just that in this car.

The first set [ Chinese] did not fit at all.

Second set went well.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
TJM
Drifting

The silence is deafening, so I guess I'll assume no one has ever seen this... great to be unique?

Logically, based on the knowledge base here, I'm screwed.

Off into the sunset.................................. ......

TJM
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Are you sure you hit the holes on both sides!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by TJM
The front frame cradle is a 1990 and the frame is a 1984 [ cannot imagine that causing the issue?? .. but?]

My partners are of the opinion it is merely the result of the new motor mounts and the motor will level up when started and stressed...

Hard to believe that
Hard for me to believe too. So, you welded a cradle into your frame? Sure there are no issues there? Has it been run before?

Is your transmission in yet?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Hard for me to believe too. So, you welded a cradle into your frame? Sure there are no issues there? Has it been run before?

Is your transmission in yet?

My God !!! I am not alone!!..

No the cradle is from a ' 90 model, all stock stuff, bolted in, no issues.

Transmission is in, few issues... putting a ZF and Dana 44 into an '84 requires a very specific installation sequence, but no real issues.

The car is dead level, nothing bent. And yes I hit the holes, that problems was with the Chinese motor mounts ].

But the motor is 3/4" off? Has to be the mounts?

Mounts will move a bit, but I have just never seen such a difference?

If it remains after start up I'll change the mounts again....

I was just hoping that this was something recognizable by others?

Now for a rant ....................... I'll tell you one thing I won't ever buy another Chinese or Indian part.

Sick of this. This is the simple stuff? The old '84 mounts look better!!? What was I thinking Why in the H*** did I put in parts made in INDIA!!!!

TJM
Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

There was a thread about Anchor motor mounts IIRC. I had to send mine back because the 3 mounting holes did not line up with the block pattern.

(Funny thing was the "house brand", also made by Anchor, worked fine as the only replacement Rock Auto had to offer! LOL)

Don't remember this issue you talk about though. If you want to search for it, the thread was within the last 6mos. I posted in it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
1989TransAm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the Corvette but I can tell you on the L98 Firebirds and Trans Ams the motor mounts are different from the left side to the right side. They are not the same. It is the part that attaches to the block that is different. We are talking about 1/2" if they are switched.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1989TransAm
I don't know about the Corvette but I can tell you on the L98 Firebirds and Trans Ams the motor mounts are different from the left side to the right side. They are not the same. It is the part that attaches to the block that is different. We are talking about 1/2" if they are switched.
1/2" Is close to the issue.

Checked both sets [ and the '84 old mounts ] have the same number on them?? No "R" or "L" ... zip? FSM says nothing.

Maybe swapping the mounts is what needs to be done? ?

Thanks!

TJM
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Where is this measurement based from ?

The engine sits slightly askew from the factory.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Where is this measurement based from ?

The engine sits slightly askew from the factory.
The tilt is to the left from the driving position. Lower on the Driver side by 3/4"?

I have read on the Forum that the motor is offset to the passenger side? Never really checked the center line to confirm.

But we put a level across the Valve covers to prove it was not an optical illusions... 3/4"?? The car is dead level at any other spot, tail end, across the radiator, dash..??

Got to be MALL Mounts?

Corvette does some weird stuff, like the suspesion "settling" into place.

If the mounts do "settle" I am not real sure I will feel good about what's going on there,................unless it's a common issue I have just never noticed?

Need to bug Randy @ DRM??

TJM
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
1989TransAm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the L98 Camaro and Firebird they are a different part number. I have no idea if this applies to the Corvette.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1989TransAm
On the L98 Camaro and Firebird they are a different part number. I have no idea if this applies to the Corvette.
Maybe he got Camaro, Firebird, or some other SBC mounts by mistake? (Maybe they were mis-packaged).

IIRC, they're the same on the vette. In fact, I'd bet money on it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Maybe he got Camaro, Firebird, or some other SBC mounts by mistake? (Maybe they were mis-packaged).

IIRC, they're the same on the vette. In fact, I'd bet money on it.
You would win the bet Gregg.... and we can close this one out.

The parts are bad.

The Chinese ones would not fit at all... "no go" on motor install.

The ones made in India are off center. Well one is. The other measures the same as the 1984 mounts on the original motor.

They may "move around" some, but 1/2"?? I still wonder what we bent getting it in?

So now we get to change mounts for the third time.

I will be getting the higher dollar OEM or going the Energy Suspension insert route.

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Listing to Port?

Quick Reply: Engine Listing to Port?