C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Here we go again....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here we go again....

My 86 is still giving me problems. I just changed the injectors on it and the idle quality and throttle response improved significantly, but it still has a hiccup on acceleration. The car still isn't giving any codes. Could someone please help me with this? I'm all out of ideas...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
87L98Z52
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check tps sensor?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

And fuel pressure and timing and poor plug wire, yada yada
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

I've checked all the basic stuff, new plugs, wires, etc. etc... I didn't think it would be the timing cause it would do that throughout the whole rpm range? it seems like it only does it above 1800 when accelerating or going up a hill. Could it be a worn timing chain? I also tried cursing at it, but that didn't help...
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need a little more info... define "hiccup on acceleration" - just one hiccup and then normal or does it continuously misfire above 1800 RPM - also does it only do it under light throttle and clear up at heavy throttle application, etc. Does it clear up at the upper RPM's or not, ETC.

Gotta narrow it down to a continuous misfire, a quick stumble at throttle tip-in, stumble at only certain throttle positions, etc.

What parts exactly have you replaced (cap, rotor in addition to the plugs/wires?)...

I'd say if you've replaced all the standard ignition stuff and checked the coil resistance when swapping it to the new cap then get a DVM to start checking the sensors (TPS, IAT, CTS, etc.) for proper range and operation. (a service manual helps here or do some searching for test methods)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the wires that connect to the moduel in the distributor.The plastic gets hard and cracks and causes the engine to cut out and stumble at times.Check everything in the distributor.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

bwiencek, it is like a miss and it does not seem as bad at higher revs and at more throttle. Red, You think the connectors could be arcing over to each other? Do you guys think this could be a timing problem?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Still having this problem...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Did you ever check the tps sensor as suggested earlier?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

I really don't think it could be the TPS because I can hear a miss in the exhasut at idle when it's cold. I'll still go check it though.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

I guess no one wants to help me anymore...I'm about to go insane!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
bwiencek
Racer

That's actually good news that you can hear it at idle (makes troubleshooting a little easier)

Do you have a timing light?

If so then one at a time hook it up to the plug wires and watch the pattern of the light flash - when it misses check and see if the light "skips a beat" - which I'm betting it does - and that means you've got an ignition problem somewhere.

I know you said that you replaced the cap & Rotoro, but if you got the cheapest parts store chineese import cap/rotor then take it back and have them replaced - I've had some that were so bad the vehicle was really hard to start then after a couple days it wouldn't even start - drove me nuts until I put the old stuff on and it ran like a top - got a bosch replacement and it ran fine until I sold it...

Next thing I would check is the wires in the distributor base - pull the distributor cap and look real close at the wires that go from the body to the computer and then from the body to the cap terminals - the plastic has a tendancy to 'dry out' and almost disintegrate - the wires can chaff through the insulation and cause timing and spark issues.

If the timing light doesn't show an ignition skip then I'd start looking at compression testing the engine (or leakdown test), and when you're doing that check the condition of the plugs for over fueling (rich) or signs of lean detonation.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........... Do a night time arc check under the hood ... also , make sure the plug wires are sufficiently separated ... half inch minimum ... parallel wires can induce voltage in their neighbors ... particularly #5 and #7 ... #8 and #4 ... and we wont even ask if you have verified the firing order vs plug wires at the distributor - 18436572 - and at the plugs ..........
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Sounds a bit like Pick-up Coil to me.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Agreed with most of those above, weak spark will cause a part throttle stumble that is much less noticeable at full or idle (part throttle is both lean and includes EGR gas).

Bad plugs, wires, cap rotor. Weak ignition coil, improper plug gap etc. I've had 2 injected GM cars, both would stumble and buck at about enough throttle to pass on the highway without causing the tranny to kick down. Both cars it was a sign for me to give them new wires and plugs and every time that cured it. Put a meter on each ignition wire and make sure the resistance isn't too high.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the great info guys. When I replaced the ignition module, I noticed the plastic connector for the 5 pin side was broken, do you think it they could be arcing there? bwiencek, I don't think I understood that very well, do you men the wires that go into the base of the dist and to the icm?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

doubtfull if it is the wires in the dist arching. If you can here and feel the miss at idle pull wires from injectors one at a time. Do this untill it does not change the way the car idles. If done right and infact you do have a cyl. missing this is a sure fire way of locating it.

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go again....

Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
bwiencek
Racer

First part was about checking cap to plug wires with the timing light, second part I was referring to the wires in the base of the distributor - which you already know the plastic around the wires is all broken up so I'd be checking those wires over real well and either replacing the plastic wire holder or at least wrapping them in tape to prevent them from rubbing against the distributor body.

My guess is that a timing light hooked to each plug wire one at a time will locate the miss...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

No being a smart @ss but the timeing light on each plug wire is hit or miss. With that you are assuming that it is a ign problem. If you pull the injector wires you are totaly elimating that cyl. If you get no difference you are more or less down to checking compression. fire and fuel for that cyl.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

I found a vacuum leak, plugged that, readjusted the TPS, but still having the problems. Now it's only at higher RPM or when going up a hill. Since this happens when the ECM is in open loop and closed loop could it be an issue with the ECM?

Quick Reply: Here we go again....