C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Very high idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Aopsahl7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Very high idle

1986 Vette L89.

The problem I am having is the really high idle. When I first start it up it sits around 8-900rpms. After a little bit of driving it gets to the point where if I dont even give it any gas with my right foot it will bring the car up to about 40mph. When I come to a stop it feels like I am holding on the brakes and trying to accelerate at the same time. It sucks.

If I come to a stop and shift out of drive into neutral it will rev up to about 2000-2200 rpms without touching the gas pedle at idle. Then of course when I put it in drive it jumps into gear and is ot a very nice ddrop into gear. I am afraid if I keep this up the tranny is not going to like me.

Anyways I am thinking that this is due to some vaccuum leak. I took off all the emmissions stuff like the air pump and such. Where do I start and how do I diagnose?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I'd probably use unlit propane to see if you can find the leak. Failing IAC can also cause that.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whens the last time you've cleaned your Throttle Body? Might give that a shot also. I just cleaned mine the other day and it was horrendous. could also be the ICV like he mentioned ^ how many miles are on the car?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact that the idle is more or less normal at cold start would lead me to suspect something other than a vacuum leak. On cold start, the ECM is in "open loop" and ignores voltages from the IAC, TPS, etc. and uses default values. When the car warms up, the ECM goes to "closed loop" and uses inputs from the various sensors.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
The fact that the idle is more or less normal at cold start would lead me to suspect something other than a vacuum leak. On cold start, the ECM is in "open loop" and ignores voltages from the IAC, TPS, etc. and uses default values. When the car warms up, the ECM goes to "closed loop" and uses inputs from the various sensors.
Good point. I gotta agree with you on that. Kinda makes me think the IAC won't close up enough or the TPS isn't measuring correctly.

If you had a USB <==> ALDL cable, you could download TunerPro or TunerCat and see what was going on. Not sure if a scanner can do that.

Makes me wonder if you can remove/plug the IAC to see what it does (after warm-up).
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What did you do with the vacuum lines to A.I.R. Valves ?
Did you plug them ?

Get notified of new replies

To Very high idle

Quick Reply: Very high idle