C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 tpi spark issues:

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
troyskibert
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 tpi spark issues:

I just got done installing '87 TPI and can't get it to run... I put in a new harness with all new connectors, relays and fuse block. I bought this on ebay for $290 @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPI-M...item1e617eec2a
great deal!!!!!!!!! I also bought an ecm ...165 from this man in Colorado for $65. After installing this harness I was unable to get spark with engine cranking. I have a remote starter switch so I was using this to check for spark without pulling a plug, but instead using an extra spark plug on one of the plug wires pulled off a plug in the engine. No spark with ignition on and remote starter switch. I tested the distrib. for power and got 12.4 volts with the ignition turned on. I also tested the distrib. power wire with ignition turned off and no voltage... I made sure all other connectors were plugged in and unpluged the tach connector just to make sure this wasn't the problem. STILL NO SPARK!!! I check all the wires I ran for new wiring harness and fuses, all good. Then I decided to test with remote starter switch again hooked up to the battery and S termanal on starter relay. SPARK!!!!! and engine started to run for 1/2 sec then died. Could not get it to start. I went to turn off the ignition inside the truck and holy moly, the key wasn't even in it!!!! So I turned on the key and tried again, NO SPARK!!! WOW, I only get spark when the key is turned off!!!! But the distrib. is getting power with ignition on but nothing when ignition off. What gives? Please help me!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by troyskibert
Please help me!!!!!!!
You are not on Myface or Twitter now.

Take a breath and put some SPACES in when you write ( hit the ENTER button at end of sentence !)
so people can READ and try to make sense of what you are asking

Last edited by vetteoz; 02-24-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any codes showing ?

What dist you using?
Is it a proven working one ?
Coil proven good?
Have you had the module inside dist that generates the ref pulses checked out?
Is spark control module hooked up?
What memcal in ECM?

Read
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm

Last edited by vetteoz; 02-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM
troyskibert
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT'S RUNNING!!!!!!!!!! HERE WAS MY MASTAKE: When hooking up the new wiring harness from fuel injection connection~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPI-M...item1e617eec2a
I found that the distrib. connector on new harness was too small and I needed the larger connector which I had from a salvaged harness. I had two wires swaped...The salvaged connector had wires that were faded and stained. The white wire, Spark Timing Output, was stained dirty and I thought it was the tan with black stripe wire, Bypass output, which was old dirty faded and stained. I have leared that the truck doesnt need the bypass hooked up to run. That is the wire that must be disconnected to adjust timing... BUT...The Spark Timing Output wire was very important to be in the correct spot!!! So, I cut, spliced, shrink wrapped, and platic flex line it back up and WAAAALLAAAAAAAAAA she fired up and ran real *** until I adjusted the timing to 8 BTDC and TPS to .54 Volts and she is purring. Will post pic's and video's to show how this badass engine looks in a 24 yr old 4X4 *** truck.

Last edited by troyskibert; 02-24-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: WRONG INFO

Get notified of new replies

To C4 tpi spark issues:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 tpi spark issues: