C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 bose radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
RustInPeace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 bose radio problem

Factory head unit was purchased about 4 yrs ago from Dr. Don to replace the cheap aftermarket head unit the previous owner installed. Just recently I had the battery disconnected to do some work on the car I noticed a few days after some problems arose with the radio. I didn't try using the radio or setting the time after reconnecting the battery so I'm not sure if this happened right after reconnecting the battery or not. Its possible it may have been doing this before disconnecting the battery, I didn't drive the car for a few weeks before this but the last time I drove it the time and radio were working fine.

Here are the problems: the time on the head unit reads 1:00 and doesn't change, if I press the set button to set the time the light above the button will light up but when I hit tune to change the time the time is stuck on 1:00. If I turn the radio on "scv" lights up in the bottom right corner of the display screen but my antenna does not go up and the radio will not play or make any sounds at all not even static. No other buttons seem to respond to anything either on the head unit. I checked all the fuses that had "RDO" listed on them, are there any others that are part of this system I should check?

Assuming its not a fuse does this sound like a problem with the head unit or could it could be a ground problem?

I also notice on my digital climate control the light above the button I have selected will sometimes blink at a steady pace instead of staying solid but the climate control works fine, not really a problem but maybe its related to the radio?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Not sure if the 94 radio has the security feature but that sounds similar. Normally, though there will be a SEC message or lock light lit up.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
RustInPeace
Instructor

Never had a problem in the past after disconnecting the battery so I don't think it has a security feature.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

No security feature in the 94.

These are a few suggestions from looking at my book, not saying I know exactly what the problem is but you might find something.

Check fuses #4, 37 and 40

There is an relay called the Bose amplifier relay. It delivers power (12 volts) to all the speaker amps and the antenna when the radio power switch is turned on. It could be possibly be bad or not getting energized. It is hanging off a cable harness alongside the radio receiver which is in the compartment behind the passenger (right side of car). Check all the plugs and connections while you in there.

Those are the simple things to check. If the clock did not set I would say the head might be bad. But since the antenna does not go up, that is not a "radio" function but just directing 12 volts power. Almost sounds like if you got the antenna to work, everything else might fall into place (if you're lucky.. )

Anything more you got to pick up a meter and take some measurements.

That all I got for now, good luck.
The following users liked this post:
hfranklin4 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
RustInPeace
Instructor

Thanks for the info, just got an email back from Dr. Don and he also said to check the tuner/control module (CDM) behind the seat. He said it sounds like its power supply circuit failed, going to check them both out tomorrow and see what I find.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check wiper fuse, mine was blown and only 1:00 would ever display on the radio. this was on my 1990. It somehow is the source of ignition power to the cdm.

Last edited by jeffp1167; 03-10-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some good suggestions above. Let us know how things work out.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
RustInPeace
Instructor

got around to checking the relay behind the seat today it was good, also checked the ground wire back there and double checked the fuses, they were all fine. Ended up pulling out the CDM and shipping it off to Dr Don for a rebuild. I'll post results when I get it back.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like you made the right move in reguard to all the information. It sounds like that box is probably bad. I hope it gets repaired, all goes smoothly, and all is well again.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
RustInPeace
Instructor

Just got the CDM back from Dr. Don's, everything is working again thanks for the tips everyone
Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Lja1952
2nd Gear

All of a sudden the SVC function on my 1990 Corvette Convertible Bose Radio stopped working. Now when I speed up, the volume of the radio no longer increases or when I slow down, it does not decrease automatically. What can cause this and how can I fix this.

Larry Arszman
You can respond direct to my email if you prefer...

LArszman@cinci.rr.com

Get notified of new replies

To 94 bose radio problem

Quick Reply: 94 bose radio problem