C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 Power Antenna Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1993 Power Antenna Question.....

I've tried to find some useful info on this, I think I know my answer but would like some validation from those who've been there.

My antenna goes up and down "smoothly" except when it goes down, it sometimes stays up about 2 to 4 inches, SOMETIMES, it will goes all the way down, but that is getting rarer.

What is strange is that sometimes is the top most part that remains up (narrowest part of the mast) and sometimes its the bottom most part of the mast with all the other sections that remains up......it's really random.....seems most times as of late its just the top part of the mast that remains.

It always goes to the top and I've tried to lube it, clean it, but to no avail.

I "think" it will only require a mast and ribbon change......would anyone who's been here agree? Because it sometimes goes all the way down is what bring the question mark to my head as to what to do.

What does CF say?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use lube it attracts dirt/build up.....extened the antenna mast as far as you can get it go automatically or when the radio is turned "on" help it by slightly pulling upward to extend it to it's full length...then with a clean dry rag just wipe it over and over until it is as clean as you can get it ......then leave it alone. If the antenna still will not retact all the way then it may be time for the repair.

Last edited by engle1147; 03-18-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Originally Posted by engle1147
Don't use lube it attracts dirt/build up.....extened the antenna mast as far as you can get it go automatically or when the radio is turned "on" help it by slightly pulling upward to extend it to it's full length...then with a clean dry rag just wipe it over and over until it is as clean as you can get it ......then leave it alone.

Done that numerous times......and I mean numerous......doesn't solve it......
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kittmaster
Done that numerous times......and I mean numerous......doesn't solve it......
sounds like you need the new ribbon fix then.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the major vette catalogs for replacement ribbon or a new entire assembly. Mine's been doing that too, but for the time being, I'll live with it.
Mike
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
bearcat1982
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you got your antenna fixed?? mine does the same thing and i replaced the mast but did'nt fix it so i guess i need a complete antenna....
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Originally Posted by bearcat1982
Just wondering if you got your antenna fixed?? mine does the same thing and i replaced the mast but did'nt fix it so i guess i need a complete antenna....
Yes....completely fixed...hard part is getting the body grommet out because of its location..:..other than that....piece of cake
Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM
whitenow
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Did you get all of the old ribbon out?

If not, it could block the new one's path.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Regarding getting the old ribbon out, most docs say "unscrew 4 screws to get to the main body", well mine did heave that, they were plastic stakes and there was no way to reassemble it after. In my case, only replacement seemed the real option.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Co-Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 19 year antenna service life

Hey Chris, long time no speak. My turn now... antenna has same symptoms as yours, just started today. Cleaned with WD40 and wiped off a few times, still just as random as yours with 2-3" of some portion of the mast still up. If you help it along while it's going down it will retract all the way.

Did you find any instructions on unit replacement on the forum for the 93 convertible while you were researching? I saw something for the coupes.

Last edited by Co-Vette; 06-05-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Sup buddy.....long time is right.......!

Didn't really use any instructions, my method was to jack/support the driver rear side, remove the wheel well shield, and go from there. The antenna is easily accessed this way, two screws on the bottom holding the body in, two screws on the antenna ring shaft for the ground of the rear body panels (wire braids) and the antenna coax going into the body of the car.

You have to remove the rear deck middle to access the low voltage wires and the quick connect for the antenna coax to disconnect the unit from the car. The only HARD part is getting the body grommet out of the body (where the low voltage and the coax passes through "into" the car itself). You can not get it from the rear tail lights being removed because that is a task within it self, but can "see" it looking from the ground up and more than enough room to get your arm up there and get it out with a "pry" bar of some kind and for re-installation.

It really is a simple process, hardest is the grommet part really and the disassembly of the car around it......LOL.

Reassembly is easy if your just doing a swap and not a ribbon replacement........for something like that, I'd say just do the whole damn thing......only because the motor has "brushes" and those wear out over time, so why not start from brand new IMO?

That's pretty much it, if you have any other questions.

Greetz
Chris
Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I am upgrading my antenna to the newer style from 92 up, and I disassembled the replacement antenna, and now I need the little round nut on the top of the antenna once you get it out. Does anybody have that? it is really fine fine threads.
Thanks.
BTW, the antenna I got had the plastic "track" broken at the bottom. the only way it retracted was when the track bound up and the bottom, and dragged the antenna the rest of the way in. Got the replacement mast and track for $29 on fleabay.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
I am upgrading my antenna to the newer style from 92 up, and I disassembled the replacement antenna, and now I need the little round nut on the top of the antenna once you get it out. Does anybody have that? it is really fine fine threads.
Thanks.
BTW, the antenna I got had the plastic "track" broken at the bottom. the only way it retracted was when the track bound up and the bottom, and dragged the antenna the rest of the way in. Got the replacement mast and track for $29 on fleabay.
Even in my case when looking at the old one, the mast was completely INTACT......just wouldn't retract all the way, I guess from all the crap that got in there over the years. Couldn't even take it apart because my antenna had "heat stakes" so once you broke the plastic binding posts to disassemble it, there would have been no way to get it back together......YMMV
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Co-Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Appreciate the advice, will shop around for total repalcement unit as you suggest and get on it when it really starts to annoy me.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
whitenow
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default If anybody wants to send me those "heat staked" units

I'll see if I can figure a rebuild for them. Send me a pm and we'll work something out.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 Power Antenna Question.....

Quick Reply: 1993 Power Antenna Question.....