C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Race Fuel and Mix Fuel yourself Peeps - please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Race Fuel and Mix Fuel yourself Peeps - please help

I have a boat that requires 91 octane.

Ethanol is not the best especially on a boat therefore I prefer my fuel without Ethanol. Sadly, enough all the marinas only have 89 Non Ethanol fuel.

In addition, my Corvette ZR-1's 16 fuel injectors don't do ethanol.
I have a gas station that serves up 93 unbranded gas non ethanol fuel but its a 75 mile drive. Needless to say I often fill up an empty car and bring 9 5 gallon containers with me. Yes, its a PIA.

I don't believe in the store bought octane boosters and they typically say they raise a few points to 10 but in reality each point they refer to is only 1/10th point so you are lucky if you get 1/2 to 1 octane point.
I do know there are better ones such as Torque which is available professionally.

I do realize many people use Toulene, Xylene etc to raise octane very high to even over 100. I am only looking for 3 total "real octane" points.

In addition, my car has no cats. I know the ingredients sometimes hurt the cats and can "dry" stuff out overtime if used excessively.

I guess race gas would be an option. How much race gas (gallons) would I need to add to say 16 gallons of 89 octane to bring my total octane up to 91 for the boat or 93 for the Corvette.

How much is race gas these days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once upon a time I used quite a bit of Toluene. Since I've been in Florida I spend more time in the pool than on the track. I can't provide you an exact answer to your question however if you pull out a calculator and play with the following ratios perhaps you will discover your answer. 5 gallons of 92 octane and 5 gallons of toluene produce 96 octane OR 2 gallons of Toluene plus 17.5 gallons of 93 octane give you 95.2 octane. Toluene has become cost prohibitive even at wholesale cost.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM
chad89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Octane Calculator:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/octane-mix-calc.php

Get notified of new replies

To Race Fuel and Mix Fuel yourself Peeps - please help

Quick Reply: Race Fuel and Mix Fuel yourself Peeps - please help