C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Limp Home mode help

Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
RTK_Baller107
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp Home mode help

Recently my car has been going into fail safe mode after about 30 minutes of driving.
I parked it for about a week and all of the transmission fluid leaked out. I filled it up and drove it, then it worked fine for a few hours, then did the same thing.

My father is suggesting that the o2 sensor wires are getting heated up because when the previous owner messed with the exhaust he removed the heat shield on the passenger side. Is there any possibility that this is the problem?

I have read up on the fail safe mode being caused by the shifting noid, is there any other things that cause this I should check into?
I'm 18, this is my first corvette, and not 100% sure of everything to do with the cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the service light on? If so, there are codes stored in the ECM. What year is your car?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
RTK_Baller107
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it hasn't been on even when in limp home mode.
its a 94 with a 4l60e.
The Service ASR and ABS have been on for about 3-4 months, but those are two different things from transmission problems all together.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Can you give a little more detail on what you mean by "limp home mode"?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd sort out that transmission leak before you end up needing a full transmission rebuild.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RTK_Baller107
Recently my car has been going into fail safe mode after about 30 minutes of driving.
I parked it for about a week and all of the transmission fluid leaked out. I filled it up and drove it, then it worked fine for a few hours, then did the same thing.

My father is suggesting that the o2 sensor wires are getting heated up because when the previous owner messed with the exhaust he removed the heat shield on the passenger side. Is there any possibility that this is the problem?

I have read up on the fail safe mode being caused by the shifting noid, is there any other things that cause this I should check into?
I'm 18, this is my first corvette, and not 100% sure of everything to do with the cars.
How would you know if it was defaulting into LHM (open loop operation) if there is no SES lite or stored codes?
If the SES lite comes on intermittantly then goes out, there is something that is out of range under specific conditions that causes this. EGR perhaps.Vac leaks.

Anything causes it go open loop. Most sensor failures, or out of spec readings will do it. This is because when one thing is not right, the domino effect throws everything else off so the ECM or PCM will go to its pre-programming and pre-set values to keep it running aka LHM.

If its just running crappy with no codes, I'd start by looking at the fuel system, filter/pressure,pump inj leak down rate.

And the o2 wires getting hot probably is'nt going to do anything unless they get hot enough to melt. Everything gets hot under the hood..
As others have said, deal with the trans leak first. That trans cost as much to rebuild as the engine does...seals are cheap.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Suggest you scan for codes even though you do not see the service light, can't hurt. Possibly the bulb is burned out.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You need to get her on a scanner. If its in limp home mode a code is setting, probably a problem with a sensor read in closed loop operation. You must check to find out.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 PM
scotish44
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Transmission Limp Mode

Greetings guys. Drove my '98 C5 on a couple hour trip into the mountains. On the way back, the automatic transmission wouldn't shift into overdrive. Then as the torque converter heated up, the transmission started to slip. After that, the car wouldn't come out of second gear. I had it towed to the chevy dealer nearest to me, and they checked the transmission fluid. It was in fact 2 qts low, so they topped it off. Afterwards the car will still not get out of second gear, drives fine around the parking lot. No check engine lights are on. I disconnected the battery for approx 10 minutes and reconnected hoping that it would recycle and come out of limp mode....it did not. Spent 400.00 in tow bills just to bring it home. Now I am at a loss. Please Help Me!!!! What should I do next??
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by scotish44
Greetings guys. Drove my '98 C5 on a couple hour trip into the mountains. On the way back, the automatic transmission wouldn't shift into overdrive. Then as the torque converter heated up, the transmission started to slip. After that, the car wouldn't come out of second gear. I had it towed to the chevy dealer nearest to me, and they checked the transmission fluid. It was in fact 2 qts low, so they topped it off. Afterwards the car will still not get out of second gear, drives fine around the parking lot. No check engine lights are on. I disconnected the battery for approx 10 minutes and reconnected hoping that it would recycle and come out of limp mode....it did not. Spent 400.00 in tow bills just to bring it home. Now I am at a loss. Please Help Me!!!! What should I do next??
Wrong forum. Repost this in C5 Technical to get a reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Limp Home mode help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limp Home mode help