C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heater blower motor not working properly 85 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blower motor not working properly 85 vette

Hey, I have searched like crazy and couldn't find anything relevant. My Heater blower motor does not seem to be working properly. When I put power to the actual blower motor it kicks on. I have a couple of questions. 1. How do I test the relay located directly below the blower motor? 2. Are there any other relays that control the blower motor? 3. If the blower motor is operating correctly and the relays are working properly what else could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gkrynick22
My Heater blower motor does not seem to be working properly.
Define properly, does it work at all, or intermittent, too slow etc.

Diagnostics for C60 blower are in these 2 links from my 86 FSM, should be useful.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/HVAV'S.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/HVAC%20Electrical.pdf
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself. Started taking the car apart while typing the post. I have to teach myself the 1 thing at a time thing. The blower does not seem to work at all. Heat comes out but there are absolutely no variable speeds what so ever. So to sum it up I know the heat itself works, I just have no control over the fan speed. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

first of all, do you have a FSM? can't remember, and i'm not positive, but there should be a trouble-shooting procedure for the blower motor circuit. i had a similar problem on my 85, and it turned out to be a bad electrical connection behind the heater/AC control panel. a FSM is a must!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Yeah I have a FSM. I am sitting in my living room right now trying to figure it out. I have never been good at taking info from a book and applying it. I have always been a hands on learner. If anyone knows where in the FSM the blower motor trouble shoot might be I would appreciate a point in the right direction. I haven't found a section like that yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah I have a FSM. I am sitting in my living room right now trying to figure it out. I have never been good at taking info from a book and applying it. I have always been a hands on learner. If anyone knows where in the FSM the blower motor trouble shoot might be I would appreciate a point in the right direction. I haven't found a section like that yet.
A/C section of the GM manual..

haynes, chiltons, non existant
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

I have the red cover GM manual, not the chilton or haynes. I am giving up for tonight. Tomorrow I am going to replace the blower motor relay (it's cheap enough) and see if that helps. If not, I will get back to the FSM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM
livetohunt54
Racer

At the hvac unit under the hood on the passengers side check the resitor and make sure that none of the coil is broken you only half to undo two screws and pull it out. good luck
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If anyone knows where in the FSM the blower motor trouble shoot might be I would appreciate a point in the right direction. I haven't found a section like that yet.

It's in the electrical link I gave you.

Pages 8A-63-0 thru 8A-63-4
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Originally Posted by livetohunt54
At the hvac unit under the hood on the passengers side check the resitor and make sure that none of the coil is broken you only half to undo two screws and pull it out. good luck
Thanks, I'll check that out today.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
It's in the electrical link I gave you.

Pages 8A-63-0 thru 8A-63-4
Thanks Agent 86, I was trying to find it in my 85 FSM so I could take it out to my car with me. My WIFI doesn't reach my garage and my printer is out of ink. I found it though, it is near the end. I also found the problem. After replacing the Blower Motor Relay and checking the Blower Resister I pulled out the A/C unit. I used my new power probe (i love that thing, can't believe I haven't had one until now) and put power to the wires that corresponds with the fan speeds and it worked fine. So i guess i have to replace the unit.

My question of the day is I have a manual A/C unit and I would rather have the Automatic. Can I just swap one for the other or is there too much involved? I will fire up the search feature, but I never have any luck with that.

Thanks to all that helped and thanks Agent 86 again for the links.

Last edited by gkrynick22; 04-23-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem in my 86, it turned out to be the blower motor resistor. By the way, just got the new heater core in. Funny thing is the old one looks fine and it's not a gm/delco core. It really sucked getting the new one in there and the 2 pipes in their holes. I now know why the floor is so soaked. Big cracks that I couldn't see from underneath. Oh well, I have to fix all those chewed up wires anyway. Let's see if I can put together everything that you took apart, without any rattles. Fiberglassing the floor pans tomorrow
Old 10-21-2020, 08:18 AM
Lowflyer281
Cruising

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Define properly, does it work at all, or intermittent, too slow etc.

Diagnostics for C60 blower are in these 2 links from my 86 FSM, should be useful.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/HVAV'S.pdf

I wish these links still worked

Get notified of new replies

To Heater blower motor not working properly 85 vette

Quick Reply: Heater blower motor not working properly 85 vette