C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lt4 engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lt4 engine questions

just poking around the engine bay of my new car and I noticed that there is what looks like heat shield fabric bunched up under the passenger side exhaust manifold. Is this supposed to be there" It is not wrapped around the exhaust manifold but rather bunched up below. I did not have a chance to jack up the car to take a good look yet but can't really see from up top. also, there is a fitting coming off the throttle body, just under the air hose driver side, which is plugged. is this a throttle body bypass? My heat works but I think the heater core is rusted out as there is a rusty wet stain on the carpet of passenger side. Just trying to sort out everything that I need to do to the car. I can't see where this hose should go to though. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

The fabric is a heat shield for the motor mounts. The mounts are designed to absorb vibration.

Is the fitting coming out right next to the t-stat housing? If so this car probably has the t-body bypass. There should be a t-fitting with smaller coolant hoses coming from the top of the radiator on the pass. side. One of those hoses should be routed to a tube on the passenger side between the intake and the valve cover connecting at about where the throttle body is. You should see the other fitting right under the pvc hose going into the t-body. It too should be plugged if the bypass was done.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Elrick
Drifting

I also came across what looks like a fuse connector of some kind. It sits on top of the battery. It is a clear plastic box with a lead coming in each end attached to a post. One lead comes out and looks like it should go to the negative battery post but it is just aped off and hanging there. The other end goes into the car through the door vent. any ideas if this is stock and should it be connected? should there be something inside the clear plastic housing other than the ends of the wires. I am waiting to get the fsm I just bought so hopefully it will have all this.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Elrick
I also came across what looks like a fuse connector of some kind. It sits on top of the battery. It is a clear plastic box with a lead coming in each end attached to a post. One lead comes out and looks like it should go to the negative battery post but it is just aped off and hanging there. The other end goes into the car through the door vent. any ideas if this is stock and should it be connected? should there be something inside the clear plastic housing other than the ends of the wires. I am waiting to get the fsm I just bought so hopefully it will have all this.
Nothing like that on my car. Pretty sure it is not stock.
Your description kind of sounds like a power connector for an aftermarket amp.
Maybe a picture would help?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A photo would help us to help you.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
This car has a massive after market stereo, 2 subs, amp and capacitor so maybe thats what it is for. thanks, just wanted to make sure it's nothing stock. I am in the middle of heater core hell so I have the whole interior and dash apart, figured I would do everything that needs doing. Now if I can just crack that damn heater core case

Get notified of new replies

To lt4 engine questions

Quick Reply: lt4 engine questions