C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Locating my bearings

Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Locating my bearings

1994 Corvette Coupe LT-1
I’ll be replacing my rotors this weekend and decided it’s time to replace the front bearings. TRW, Moog, what did you use and where did they come from? I don’t need a whole assembly, just the bearings and race…and some grease, I know how to pack my own bearings

Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mako
1994 Corvette Coupe LT-1
I’ll be replacing my rotors this weekend and decided it’s time to replace the front bearings. TRW, Moog, what did you use and where did they come from? I don’t need a whole assembly, just the bearings and race…and some grease, I know how to pack my own bearings

Thanks
Sorry...you dont get that option of "packing your own" with a C4 or later.
These are made in the HUB, as a sealed unit thats a pressed fit and held in place by 4 bolts on the backside ( fronts) (rears are 3 bolt torx), and a very important thrust washer on the front side..

Which to use? Whatever the delco or OEM part is, just avoid (like the plaque) the aftermarket bearings that come from China that are discount price and discount quality.I think even the catalog vette stores offer the different grade of bearing assembly...their "value" part that is soft chinese steel or the OEM part that cost 3 times as much.
Expect to pay $150 or more for each decent bearing. The discount hubs sell for under $100 each and can be very attractive. You pay later as they say...

The expected life of a factory bearing is approx 80,000 miles.I've got twice that on my fronts and have done the rears 3 times..
The cheap knock offs start getting loose after 10,000. Some people say their "new" cheap bearings were looser than the old worn out OEM part.

Check each wheel by the grab-wiggle test. If you can wiggle in/out holding at 6:00 and 12:00 and feel any play, the bearing is suspect. If you can SEE the movement, its trash. Tolerances are tight.

Last edited by leesvet; 04-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM
69mako
Race Director

Thanks for the info-I was afraid that it was an assembly

Time to shop...and yes I already keep far away from the cheap crap
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I put Timken on the front of my 92, they have held up to over 24 track days with no problems. I think corvetterecycling also has NOS OEM available.
My OEM went over 100K and 30 or so track days.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I think corvetterecycling also has NOS OEM available.
They are pretty reasonable as well. You can choose NOS or top quality used.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
They are pretty reasonable as well. You can choose NOS or top quality used.
Another vote for corvetterecycling. Good people to work with.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Use the cheapest ones you can find. With the exception of keeping your money here in the US there is no reason to buy $300 Delco bearings. I've tried them all, fancy, cheap, tapered rebuildable, etc. None were any better. The tapered fancy VanSteel ones went out in a day on the track.

C4's eat bearings. They eat cheap ones, they eat expensive ones. Buy the cheap ones. The expensive ones are no better anymore, they're just as crappy and built in China but cost 6X the price.

That said, I know you'll still go buy $300 ones "just in case" so I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That said, I know you'll still go buy $300 ones "just in case" so I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Apparently you are unaware that the penalty for committing heresy against the Orthodoxy Gods on this forum is severe. You had better repent quickly before the fire and brimstone begins to fall.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
69mako
Race Director

Thanks for all the input; I especially liked the post on expensive V. cheap…it’s all comparative. The good news is that I shook both wheel assemblies last night and they are tight…and get this they are tight with 149,000 miles on the blue beast –yes Virginia they are the OEMS put on back in Sept of 93’
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Thanks for all the input; I especially liked the post on expensive V. cheap…it’s all comparative.
BTW, that only applies to C4 bearings. In most cases you get what you pay for, just not in this one
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the input; I especially liked the post on expensive V. cheap…it’s all comparative. The good news is that I shook both wheel assemblies last night and they are tight…and get this they are tight with 149,000 miles on the blue beast –yes Virginia they are the OEMS put on back in Sept of 93’
I believe it !

My fronts have more miles than that, but My rears seem to wear out in less than 80K. Probably because mine is more of a straight line stress situation and not so much stress on the steering end..

Look at it this way...
You just made $600 !

Get notified of new replies

To Locating my bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locating my bearings