C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lets talk dual mass flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 01:47 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Lets talk dual mass flywheels

I switched back to my fatory dual mass flywheel. Bought a new clutch from GM and reused to original flywheel. The dual mass flywheel had just over 40k miles when in was pulled out. With the dual mass back it the trans sounded like it did with a single mass flywheel and a factory style unsprung clutch disk. Also it would not bark the tires on the 1 to 2 shift. The clutch would just slip. I took it real easy for 400 miles to break everything in. Last night I shift into third and it sounded like something came apart. I think and pray it is the dual mass flywheel. The car pulled itself on the trailer. However when it blew there was a vibration and a loud deep resonance. Now idling along the clutch lugs really bad with a metal hitting metal sound.

What changed on the 94-96 dual mass vs. the early dual mass? Can I swap them? Who has the best price on a new one?

[Modified by 93Polo, 12:48 PM 4/19/2002]
Old 04-19-2002, 04:11 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lets talk dual mass flywheels (93Polo)

I think they are interchangeable, I just put a 95 on my 89 and it works great. There seems to be differences in throw out bearings for some reason.

I would pull that down and see what broke before you buy a new dual mass ($$$$). Jeff Koop has great prices on the flywheel and stuff.

Good Luck

Pete
Old 04-19-2002, 05:57 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

did you machine the dual mass???

they are not supposed to be cut. the fluids used to cut them will ruin the material between the 2 parts of the flywheel.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have stayed with the Single Mass Flywheel/Mcleod clutch set up for about 25K miles in both the 350 and 396 with no major problems and minimal noise. Have my original factory dual mass flywheel if you are interested.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Lets talk dual mass flywheels (Red Rocket)

Did you put the weights in the correct holes to balance before the install? Flywheel part number is the same for 91 - 96 by the way. Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2002, 10:58 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You switched back from a single mass set-up? Share why? Too noisy? Those DM's are expensive. I back what Bogus says. The DM shant be cut. However, I offer this:
my current DM was a take-off with 40K miles on it. It was cut slightly by the place that sold it to me to put a finish on the surface. It ran OK (approx. 20K miles). It came off last year when I did my engine. I didn't take it off when I took my engine to the eng shop. When they gave me the new eng back, they had turned it again without me knowing about it. It ran another 1000 miles no probs with lots of hard launches.
Not to say it will last, but just maybe it can hang in there. It's a quite a risk tho. Please update us on the outcome.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:31 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Re: Lets talk dual mass flywheels (89 Paul in Cal)

The flywheel was not machined. We just scuffed it up for a fresh surface. The DM didn't have any hotspots. I went back to dual mass because I have considered selling the car and getting another Corvette. The rear main and intake were leaking. The clutch had to come out for the rear main anyways. Noise on the single mass isn't that bad if you run a sprung flywheel. My single mass is perfect wearing evenly and no hot spots. The tear down is to come so we will see what exactly broke. Thanks for the offers on the dual mass flywheels. I might know where 2 are locally if they fall through I might be e-mailing one of you. One of the flywheels is brand new and comes with clutch disc and pressure plate. It came off of a crate motor that was used in a f-body. Thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk dual mass flywheels

Quick Reply: Lets talk dual mass flywheels