C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard(er) start after fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklim
Besides "a friend of my friend knows this guy whose brother.....", have you actually seen anyone with that issue? All my car pumps have always run from full to empty and sometimes even empty.

Think about this, IF the pump kept running all day long after it runs out of fuel, you could be right. What do you think happens when you run out of fuel? My car motor stops. When that happens, the pump stops. In fact, it is only on for a few seconds when you turn the key. If it doesn't see the engine run, the FP doesn't get energized. Otherwise, if you crashed your car and didn't turn off the motor, the pump will be fueling the engine still. That could be BAD.

If the pump runs out of gas, engine stops and pump stops. If there is gas, it will pump and cool it. If it gets so hot that it can overheat, what do you think, safety wise, of having such a hot item in an area with pressurized gasoline fumes?
Ran my car till it ran out of gas and the engine quit, it killed the pump. I've heard of this happening many times to other people, and it doesn't make sense to me either.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by tehcarguy
Ran my car till it ran out of gas and the engine quit, it killed the pump. I've heard of this happening many times to other people, and it doesn't make sense to me either.
I have ran many cars till they stop. Gas? Sure. Diesel? Sure. Especially when the wife is around. Why? She gets nervous even when there are 2 bars on the fuel gauge because it says "RESERVE". My usual thing is to run it as far down as possible especially in he car. Her car is an MB and when you call 1-800-FOR-MERC, they bring you 3 gallons of fuel FREE.

Whenever we get close to empty, I whistle the tune "Running on Empty" or "Take it to the limit" to **** her off. Marriage is having a dedicated person you **** off.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by jon0108
I would really like to know what the problem was. Was it a wrong pump in the first place? Please let us know.
Jon,

I don't think the one I used first was the wrong pump as it was an AC Delco that fits my year, just a slightly different build version. To look at the two (EP378 (the 1st and bad one) vs the latest one I installed, the EP375, they look almost identical. I installed it correctly, I had plenty of fuel in the tank so it wasn't gasping for fuel. Also had a brand new Delco fuel sock installed on it. For whatever reason, it just gave up the ghost after just 3 days. New one seems to be running better after giving it a couple days in the car. Fuel pressure seems more steady as well.

I'm having "Tach It Up MotorSports", my local Vette expert, check it out for me to determine if the hard(er) starting is due to a leaking injector emptying the fuel rail volume. He mentioned that if I turn on the key, letting the fuel pump energize and shoot fuel into the system and do this a few times to fill the rail, it would probably start right up without issue, IF, it is emptying due to leak back either into the tank from the check valve or an injector.

I'll let you know when I find out more. As of now, it is running better and the new fuel pump hasn't died yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony A.
Jon,

I don't think the one I used first was the wrong pump as it was an AC Delco that fits my year, just a slightly different build version. To look at the two (EP378 (the 1st and bad one) vs the latest one I installed, the EP375, they look almost identical. I installed it correctly, I had plenty of fuel in the tank so it wasn't gasping for fuel. Also had a brand new Delco fuel sock installed on it. For whatever reason, it just gave up the ghost after just 3 days. New one seems to be running better after giving it a couple days in the car. Fuel pressure seems more steady as well.

I'm having "Tach It Up MotorSports", my local Vette expert, check it out for me to determine if the hard(er) starting is due to a leaking injector emptying the fuel rail volume. He mentioned that if I turn on the key, letting the fuel pump energize and shoot fuel into the system and do this a few times to fill the rail, it would probably start right up without issue, IF, it is emptying due to leak back either into the tank from the check valve or an injector.

I'll let you know when I find out more. As of now, it is running better and the new fuel pump hasn't died yet.
With the new pump, what happened to the fuel pressure?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 AM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my fuel pump I installed a new pulsator just while in there. Needless to say, the new pulsator was bad out of the box and my fuel pressure dropped significantly within a few miles resulting in hard start and no power.

Put the old one in and everything is good.
The "pop" you heard may have been the fuel line inside the tank.
If your fuel pump still makes the typical sound 2 seconds after ign on, I´d check the pulsator.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
When I did my fuel pump I installed a new pulsator just while in there. Needless to say, the new pulsator was bad out of the box and my fuel pressure dropped significantly within a few miles resulting in hard start and no power.

Put the old one in and everything is good.
The "pop" you heard may have been the fuel line inside the tank.
If your fuel pump still makes the typical sound 2 seconds after ign on, I´d check the pulsator.
Not the pulsator as I replaced it with submersible grade fuel injector hose. I'm relatively certain the pop was the fuel pump motor or seal within blowing up. I applied the 12 volts to the old pump and it would do nothing. New pump spun right up as it should.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
With the new pump, what happened to the fuel pressure?
Improved to 41 key on, 38 started, 43 when I pull the FPR vacuum, and stays at 38 for at least an hour after I turn it off.

Quick Reply: Hard(er) start after fuel pump install