C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard(er) start after fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard(er) start after fuel pump install

Recently found the problem with my bogging 88 vert - replaced the fuel pump.

Before, had no problem starting it, turned over and would catch right away. Now that I've replaced the fuel pump and sock, it turns over and catches a little later than before but if I get it up to operating temp, and have to kill and restart it, it turns over for like 5 secs before it catches.

I set the timing before the pump install (6 DTC) and have heard that timing can make this behavior.

Any ideas fellas?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony A.
Recently found the problem with my bogging 88 vert - replaced the fuel pump.

Before, had no problem starting it, turned over and would catch right away. Now that I've replaced the fuel pump and sock, it turns over and catches a little later than before but if I get it up to operating temp, and have to kill and restart it, it turns over for like 5 secs before it catches.

I set the timing before the pump install (6 DTC) and have heard that timing can make this behavior.

Any ideas fellas?
Do You think any spark plugs are carbon fouled up badly from the engine running poorly before the fuel pump replacement?

Might be worthwhile removing a spark plug or 2 to making a quick check there.

BR
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Do You think any spark plugs are carbon fouled up badly from the engine running poorly before the fuel pump replacement?

Might be worthwhile removing a spark plug or 2 to making a quick check there.

BR
Sorry, I should've mentioned, I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ICM, O2 sensor, and ignition coil about a week prior to the fuel pump. Started fine after those upgrades, just since the pump.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When You set the "Base Ignition Timing" on your '88 Vette,

Did you unplug the Timing connector behind or in the vicinity of the distributor ?

The connector in question has a single wire with a Brown color & very thin black trace on it.

Thin wire of 18 gauge size.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
When You set the "Base Ignition Timing" on your '88 Vette,

Did you unplug the Timing connector behind or in the vicinity of the distributor ?

The connector in question has a single wire with a Brown color & very thin black trace on it.

Thin wire of 18 gauge size.
Yes, we did. A friend with Corvette experience was in town and we did it together and that was one step he ensured we not forget.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you reset PCM?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
Did you reset PCM?
No, should I? And on the 88 is that the ECM? Not heard of PCM. I am a noobie so please forgive my ignorance...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, should I? And on the 88 is that the ECM? Not heard of PCM. I am a noobie so please forgive my ignorance...
The ECM/PCM "learns" fueling information based on the 02 sensor input. If you had a fuel pressure change or erratic fuel pressure you should reset the ECM/PCM so it will "learn" the new information.

I think on your year model it is just a matter of pulling the battery cable for about 5 minutes and turning on the lights to drain any residual voltage.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you hear the pump run for 2 seconds when ignition turned on ?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Do you hear the pump run for 2 seconds when ignition turned on ?
Yes
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
The ECM/PCM "learns" fueling information based on the 02 sensor input. If you had a fuel pressure change or erratic fuel pressure you should reset the ECM/PCM so it will "learn" the new information.

I think on your year model it is just a matter of pulling the battery cable for about 5 minutes and turning on the lights to drain any residual voltage.
Will give this a try for sure! Thank you!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Pretty typical symptom of the regulator going bad. To check, remove the vacuum line from the regulator which is located under the plenum to the rear on an L98. You'll see the small vacuum line running to it. If there is fuel in the line, the regulator is bad. If the line is dry, the regulator is fine.

The ECM doesn't use O2 sensor data at start-up. Other than needing to reset your clock and radio station presets, disconnecting the battery will have no affect.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Go out today to start it, it hard starts cold, runs for about 4 secs, I hear a faint pop, it dies, won't restart. Starter turns over, just not catching. Where do I start? I've checked all the standard dash fuses.

Update: connected my fuel pressure gauge and have absolutely 0 psi. Could the pop have been the fuel pump relay popping and would that cause 0 psi?

Last edited by Tony A.; 05-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Go out today to start it, it hard starts cold, runs for about 4 secs, I hear a faint pop, it dies, won't restart. Starter turns over, just not catching. Where do I start? I've checked all the standard dash fuses.

Update: connected my fuel pressure gauge and have absolutely 0 psi. Could the pop have been the fuel pump relay popping and would that cause 0 psi?
Could be.

Do you hear the pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key to "run"? If not, then it's the fuse, the relay, the wiring, or the pump itself. If you do hear it run then it's either the fuel pressure regulator, one or more of the injectors, or the fuel pump check valve.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Could be.

Do you hear the pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key to "run"? If not, then it's the fuse, the relay, the wiring, or the pump itself. If you do hear it run then it's either the fuel pressure regulator, one or more of the injectors, or the fuel pump check valve.
Running again!

Swapped out the ACDelco EP378 FP for a new ACDelco EP375 FP and she is back roaring.

Before I make a habit of replacing FP's, is there anything in particular that can ruin a fuel pump quickly?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Running again!

Swapped out the ACDelco EP378 FP for a new ACDelco EP375 FP and she is back roaring.

Before I make a habit of replacing FP's, is there anything in particular that can ruin a fuel pump quickly?
YES !

good question.

Running the tank low on fuel abuses them, running them dry kills them. Gas cools and lubricates the rubber impeller inside the pump body. As painful as it is to think of an electric motor overheating sitting inside a tank full of gas and fumes, it happens.

1/4 tank is about where it starts sucking air and where the top of the pump is exposed.

Like others, I built a well for the pump to sit in so that it never is dry and is always submerged in fuel. This also allows it to pick up fuel with a low tank and cornering.

A new tank gasket is also a good idea....re-using the old gasket can result in fuel leakage around the top plate.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
Running the tank low on fuel abuses them, running them dry kills them. Gas cools and lubricates the rubber impeller inside the pump body. As painful as it is to think of an electric motor overheating sitting inside a tank full of gas and fumes, it happens.
Besides "a friend of my friend knows this guy whose brother.....", have you actually seen anyone with that issue? All my car pumps have always run from full to empty and sometimes even empty.

Think about this, IF the pump kept running all day long after it runs out of fuel, you could be right. What do you think happens when you run out of fuel? My car motor stops. When that happens, the pump stops. In fact, it is only on for a few seconds when you turn the key. If it doesn't see the engine run, the FP doesn't get energized. Otherwise, if you crashed your car and didn't turn off the motor, the pump will be fueling the engine still. That could be BAD.

If the pump runs out of gas, engine stops and pump stops. If there is gas, it will pump and cool it. If it gets so hot that it can overheat, what do you think, safety wise, of having such a hot item in an area with pressurized gasoline fumes?

Get notified of new replies

To Hard(er) start after fuel pump install

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it safe to assume that the problem was that the wrong model number fuel pump was initially installed? Looks like the EP375 is the correct one for your 1988.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM
jon0108
Drifting

I would really like to know what the problem was. Was it a wrong pump in the first place? Please let us know.

Quick Reply: Hard(er) start after fuel pump install