C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing body panel under the door?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 AM
ROME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing body panel under the door?

I'm trying to remove the external body panel that runs just beneath the door. I've removed the two screws in the wheel wells at either end, the eight or so screws that run underneath, and the four star screws inside the door jamb.

Everything is loose except for one point under the panel near the rear wheel well. It seems to be pivoting around this point, but I can't see how its fastened, or if its just hung up on something.

I don't want to damage the panel so I'm hoping someone who's removed this panel in the past can tell me if there is a hidden bolt back there. Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Those are called rocker panels. It's been awhile since I removed mine, but I remember needing to access a bolt that was accessed thru the rear wheel wheel. IOW, I had to remove the inner wheel well liner to get at it.

It might be that operation was required for a rocker bolt or for the rear (short) belt molding. Or, it could have been necessary for both.

Maybe someone else knows for sure. Or you could do a search for Corvette C4 Rocker's on ebay to see a picture. See if there's a hole in said location. Or, search the threads here. Now that you know the correct name for the part, it'll be easier.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Those are called rocker panels. It's been awhile since I removed mine, but I remember needing to access a bolt that was accessed thru the rear wheel wheel. IOW, I had to remove the inner wheel well liner to get at it.

It might be that operation was required for a rocker bolt or for the rear (short) belt molding. Or, it could have been necessary for both.

Maybe someone else knows for sure. Or you could do a search for Corvette C4 Rocker's on ebay to see a picture. See if there's a hole in said location. Or, search the threads here. Now that you know the correct name for the part, it'll be easier.

If I recall correctly it was one of the bolts that hold the inner rear fender (the black piece)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Samhain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a hidden bolt on the inside of the wheel well, you're gonna have to remove a few screws from the wheel well to even see it. I would take out the entire plastic wheel well liner, as it makes it a little easier.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Samhain
There is a hidden bolt on the inside of the wheel well, you're gonna have to remove a few screws from the wheel well to even see it. I would take out the entire plastic wheel well liner, as it makes it a little easier.
I had to replace mine. You need to remove about 3-5 screws enough to pull the rear inner fender well out enough to see the small screw holding it there...should come off after you remove this screw...

Get notified of new replies

To Removing body panel under the door?

Quick Reply: Removing body panel under the door?