C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Hatch Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Alves
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Hatch Question

Hi guys, Im back with another question about the 84 Vet. I was trying to open the hatch and couldnt get it open.
First I tried the center console button, nothing
then both doors buttons (passenger and driver)

i dont even hear a click and even looked for a back up latch but couldnt find anything.

There must be a back up latch or switch of some sort so if someone could point it out I would be really grateful.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

climb back into the rear, under the plastic by the latch you might see a pull wire or chain, pull it. before you do that check your fuse.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like either a fuse, hatch relay, hatch solenoid, or bad connection. Anyway, assuming that your 84 is like my 88 in this, the emergency release may be a little hard to find if it has not been used before so keep looking. Like the previous post mentions, it should be up near the right side of the latch release (passenger side). It may be tucked into the edge of the carpet under the rolled up shade cover at the back of the hatch. It is a short cable about 8 in. long so you will have to crawl into the hatch to pull it. Should pull pretty easily once you find it. When my electric release failed, I could not immediately fix it, so I tied a long boot lace to the short cable and ran it up behind the passenger seat so I can pull it without having to crawl inside the hatch. Works well -- just make sure you don't cover it with tools or the top, etc., i.e., make sure it is on top and a straight shot to the release cable.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the fuses are good the hatch relay may be bad. It is located under the rear hatch trim right by the latch assembly. IIRC there are two relays back there, one for the antenna motor and the other is the latch relay. The hatch one has only 3 wires as opposed to 5 or 6 on the other I think.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Hatch Question

Quick Reply: 1984 Hatch Question