C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Correct Poly Bushing Lube ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Correct Poly Bushing Lube ?

Anyone know what the correct bushing lube is for polyurethane bushings? Is there an SAE spec for it? I'm looking for something I can pick up locally as a first preference. All I see is people either recommending the wrong grease or just "marine grease".

Also, I'm guessing I have to pull the sway bar and end links apart to re-grease these. Any better tips?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

You can order Prothane or Energy suspension grease but it's expensive. I've been using Redline synthetic grease that's in my gun on everything. I've found it doesn't last as long but has less stiction. I found with how I use the car that no matter what grease I use it won't stay greased very long. I added zerks to all my suspension parts. I did not like poly in the end links, I found they took a dent pretty quickly. Search my threads for pix.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Although I have zero road miles since my poly conversion, I also installed zerk fittings to all the suspension bushings. I also notched the bushings slightly to accept and spread the grease. Right now I have a mini grease gun filled with silicone grease. It looked like what comes with the install of most poly bushings. Hummer H1 (HMMWV) use silicone in big packets or caulk gun tubes for use in their runflat tires.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I don't like these poly bushings one bit. The front end is creaking like a **** and the bushings are less than a year old. I used all the grease that came in the Energy suspension kit, too. I don't remember if the bushings were channeled for grease or I'd consider zerks. But then I'd have to find the correct grease in a tube.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A greenish Blue marine grease works really well. We call it tourmaline (spelling).
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Any silicone grease will do, or graphite. DO NOT use petroleum based grease products on polyurethane as it softens the poly and finally causes it to wear. Like diesel fuel does to a windshield wiper blade...so does petro lubes will do to poly.

Those folks that don;t use zerks can use a wet silicone spray but it has to be applied often since its so thin..
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by C4boy
Yeah, I don't like these poly bushings one bit. The front end is creaking like a **** and the bushings are less than a year old. I used all the grease that came in the Energy suspension kit, too. I don't remember if the bushings were channeled for grease or I'd consider zerks. But then I'd have to find the correct grease in a tube.
Creaking could be poor fitment too. The bushings should not be larger than the sleeve. I started a thread about it. Pic:

Name:  bushingbind.jpg
Views: 12718
Size:  34.4 KB
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by leesvet
Any silicone grease will do, or graphite. DO NOT use petroleum based grease products on polyurethane as it softens the poly and finally causes it to wear. Like diesel fuel does to a windshield wiper blade...so does petro lubes will do to poly.

Those folks that don;t use zerks can use a wet silicone spray but it has to be applied often since its so thin..
It is impervious to petroleum.

Name:  bushing.jpg
Views: 12224
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

This is the same incorrect BS that gets parroted all over the internet and what I'm trying to avoid.

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Creaking could be poor fitment too. The bushings should not be larger than the sleeve. I started a thread about it.
I will check the spacing, but I'm pretty certain the problem is the lube. When I installed the bushings I measured the sleeve spacing, which wasn't disturbed, and torqued to FSM specs... How long did that illustration take?!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C4boy
This is the same incorrect BS that gets parroted all over the internet and what I'm trying to avoid.

I will check the spacing, but I'm pretty certain the problem is the lube. When I installed the bushings I measured the sleeve spacing, which wasn't disturbed, and torqued to FSM specs... How long did that illustration take?!

If you're so certain that its BS, Then WHY ASK the F'n QUESTION?

HUH?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

If you're so certain that its BS, Then WHY ASK the F'n QUESTION?

HUH?
I thought I was pretty clear in my original question that I am looking to find the correct lube or the SAE specification for it. And not respones telling me to use the same crap I fix a door lock with.

So, I asked the F'n question in hopes of getting the right f'n answer.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are several manufacturers that make a grease to be used with poly suspension bushings. It's not an internet myth that you shouldn't use a petroleum based grease on poly bushing. Every poly bushing manufacturer warns against using petroleum grease as it breaks down the poly over time.

Yes, a silicone based synthetic waterproof grease is the correct way to lube poly suspension bushings.

Energy suspension makes one w/ teflon;
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...shing-Lube.asp

Spohn also makes one; http://www.alloutracing.com/store/sp...-tube-902.html

Hotchkis also make one; https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...ease-14oz.aspx

Here's another; http://www.polybushings.com/pages/bushinglube.html

Last edited by mako41; 10-30-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
There are several manufacturers that make a grease to be used with poly suspension bushings. It's not an internet myth that you shouldn't use a petroleum based grease on poly bushing. Every poly bushing manufacturer warns against using petroleum grease as it breaks down the poly over time.
FWIW, step 5. in the VB&P All C-4s Poly Replacement Bushings document states;
5. Lubricate the inside of the poly and the outside of the inner sleeve with waterproof wheel
bearing or marine grease.
No mention of using non-petroleum grease.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Bel Ray tourmaline marine grease. If my bushings wear out due to it eating ans softening the bushings, then the ride will be nicer, J/K
Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mako41

Yes, a silicone based synthetic waterproof grease is the correct way to lube poly suspension bushings.

Energy suspension makes one w/ teflon;
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...shing-Lube.asp

Spohn also makes one; http://www.alloutracing.com/store/sp...-tube-902.html

Hotchkis also make one; https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...ease-14oz.aspx
Bingo... I didn't think to look at Energy Suspension's website. Thanks for the links. The closest I could find locally was the stuff on the Spohn/All Out Racing link, which I'm pretty sure is Super Lube Synthetic Grease. It looks and sounds just like the ES prelube, but isn't as tacky. It was $9 a tube at a local hardware store. I'm pretty sure that's what Hotchkis is selling too - Super Lube w/o the label.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Jacki&GeneZ16
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Ace Hardware's Super Lube Synthetic Grease going to be better in a cool area?

Does all Energy Suspension bushings have graphite impregnated in the polyurethane?

Hope adding to this year old post is useful... THE STORY...

I COULD NOT TAKE THE SQUEAKING ANYMORE!!!! My radio is not loud enough and my "No-Master" exhaust (cat-back w/mufflers deleted) isn't loud enough either to cancel my suspension squeaks. I am ready to "redo" my polyurethane bushings, after 30K mi and usually 6 to 8 autocrosses/yr.

First time through (2006) with 148K mi on my 87 Vette I replaced the original front and rear suspension bushings and swaybar bushings with PROTHANE and I used their GREASE packets. HOWEVER, IT SQUEAKED and irritated me, from the get go!!!

I thought I mounted and grease everything right. Possibly I did not lubricate liberally enough - I'm cheap, I did not buy additional Prothane grease (What do you think, a bad move?). Another variable is Anchorage Alaska area's cooler summer morning temperatures (often in the 50Fs, late Apr through Sep), compared to the Lower 48. Typically, after about 100 mi the squeaking would stop, I thought the Prothane lub could be too sticky.

After about 2 months of use I cleaned Prothane's grease out of most of the bushings and substituted MERCURY's Marine Lubricant 2-4-C with Teflon (marine mechanics call it Monkey snot); I assume is it is primarily silicon (comments?). For the good though, THIS CANCELLED MOST SQUEAKING!! And I had a couple years of squeak free driving.

Now (2012), the squeaking has increased to nearly an UNBEARABLE amount during 2011. So I am now taking apart my suspension cleaning and so I can re-grease.

Observation: HEY AFTER 30K mi these Prothane bushings are in GREAT SHAPE!!!!

So as I'm preparing for the next 178K mi on my 87 Vette. I want to try something different, maybe a grease that will last longer than 30 K mi without squeaking.

As I get further into my clean & re-grease project I see I'll need to destroy the upper control arm bushings, cut & drill them out. So I bought a new front set of ENERGY SUSPENSION's bushings. I read theirs had graphite in them, so I am replacing the front Prothane with ES's. They arrived yesterday and I am a little disappointed the Energy Suspension box doesn't mention the graphite, did I buy a cheaper ES line from Summit Racing? (Or are all ES bushing include graphite, comments?)

Now as I procrastinate (hey, we've had a near record winter snow 60 year record and I bet the roads will not be good for another 4 weeks). So I'm reading this thread and other excellent CF threads. I am ready to drive 15 mi in my Chevy truck to buy a tube of Ace's Super Lube Synthetic Grease. (DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE BETTER FOR MY REMOVING MY SQUEAKING CONDITIONS FOR A LONGER TIME?)
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
You can order Prothane or Energy suspension grease but it's expensive. I've been using Redline synthetic grease that's in my gun on everything. I've found it doesn't last as long
Dont feel any different. I do have the "expensive" grease and it doesnt stay there forever.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

This is the awesome lube for poly bushings:

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/bushinglube.html

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Poly Bushing Lube ?

Quick Reply: Correct Poly Bushing Lube ?