C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Pump Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Pump Shaft

Trying to get finished building my engine but can't figure this thing out. I have the screen attached to the pump but how does the shaft stay on the pump? I have the nylon thing but the end of the shaft has a metal collar that is the same size as the nylon and won't slide on either which way. Kills me how all the videos and books seem to just kind of skip over these small deals that end up being a pain.
This is a 1990 L98 engine. Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

The nylon collar is for a stock shaft. If you have the aftermarket one with a metal collar that's all you need. You install the shaft down the hole before installing the pump. (collar twards the pump) When you turn the motor over uprite the shaft should fall into place. When you install the dist, that is what holds the shaft inplace.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
The nylon collar is for a stock shaft. If you have the aftermarket one with a metal collar that's all you need. You install the shaft down the hole before installing the pump. (collar twards the pump) When you turn the motor over uprite the shaft should fall into place. When you install the dist, that is what holds the shaft inplace.
Thanks. I just have the feeling of making sure before I end up screwing something up and not finding out until I am done and the engine sounds like crap.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pump Shaft

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Shaft