C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C Blower - not enough volume - anyway to improve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Blower - not enough volume - anyway to improve?

The AC in my 88 is ice cold but doesn't have adequate volume. Any fixes to improve the flow?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the blower motor working correctly? Do you have debris blocking the air intake?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Aside from a tired blower motor, I would pull out the blower module, put it to full cold and look in there and see if anything is obviously blocking.

There just could be a build up on the fins over the years where the air just can't get thru any more.

Does it blow any stronger when heat is selected?

I would also check the electrical connections on the blower module for poor connections which might cause a lower fan speed. Is anything discolored or feel hot after a few minutes of run time?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Do jumper directly to the battery to make sure it's the same as what's punched into the Controls. More than likely, the Ductwork is leaking as it's sealed with foam which falls apart. Remove the Passenger side Hush Panel and if there's a nice air stream pass the ECM, you'll need to remove the Upper Pad to access the Ductwork. Seal it up with Duct tape or whatever you can find at Home Depot. Otherwise, if the Evaporator has been replaced, feel underneath the case and make sure the inlet and outlet still have the Factory goop around the pipes. I've used window ribbon seal from Poop Boys to seal up the case and lines. It's easy to mold and cleans up with denatured alcohol or you can buy some of the real stuff from a supplier like www.ackits.com
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by SunCr
Do jumper directly to the battery to make sure it's the same as what's punched into the Controls. More than likely, the Ductwork is leaking as it's sealed with foam which falls apart. Remove the Passenger side Hush Panel and if there's a nice air stream pass the ECM, you'll need to remove the Upper Pad to access the Ductwork. Seal it up with Duct tape or whatever you can find at Home Depot. Otherwise, if the Evaporator has been replaced, feel underneath the case and make sure the inlet and outlet still have the Factory goop around the pipes. I've used window ribbon seal from Poop Boys to seal up the case and lines. It's easy to mold and cleans up with denatured alcohol or you can buy some of the real stuff from a supplier like www.ackits.com
I can say that when I tried different output settings (bi-level), some old crappy foam insulation chunks blew out onto the floor. Also, I noticed when the air is on auto, which should blow out of the main front vents, I saw the defrost area of the windshield fog up. Is this a sign on poor/failing insulation causing it to not flow properly and leak out all over the place?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Sounds like it could be a leaking Evaporator too which has a foam filter on the inlet side (you can't see it without taking apart the case). Compressor oil destroys it and the leaking gas fogs up the windshield, though it's usually frosty because the gas at normal atmospheres is below freezing. I would get it leaked checked at a shop - stick an electronic leak detector in the vents. Then decide what needs to come apart.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by SunCr
Sounds like it could be a leaking Evaporator too which has a foam filter on the inlet side (you can't see it without taking apart the case). Compressor oil destroys it and the leaking gas fogs up the windshield, though it's usually frosty because the gas at normal atmospheres is below freezing. I would get it leaked checked at a shop - stick an electronic leak detector in the vents. Then decide what needs to come apart.
Can anyone answer to which vents should blow on which settings? When I put it on Auto, it blows out of defroster area on dash, front vents and underneath by the courtesy lights. Is something not closing right or is this normal?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Default a/c blows a small amount through the Defroster - to keep the windshield from fogging - and a small amount through the floor - to keep it cool - with the majority through the vents. Auto 60 is full time a/c and ignores input from the Outside and Inside Sensors. Auto 90 is full time heat again ignoring input from the Sensors. Anything in between can be one or the other, though the compressor will always be engaged in any Auto Position with the Temp Sensors determining where the majority of the air is directed - floor or vents. Bi-Level and Defrost keeps the compressor engaged. If you don't want it engaged use Econ which will use sensor input to determine where the air flows from except at 60 and 90. Also, at initial startup, an Auto setting will direct most of the air through the floor or heat vents for a brief moment which is to keep the windshield from fogging over. Owner's Manual should explain everything.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Blower - not enough volume - anyway to improve?

Quick Reply: A/C Blower - not enough volume - anyway to improve?