C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tall Valve Covers for LT1, is Canton the only Option?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Tall Valve Covers for LT1, is Canton the only Option?

It appears that the factory valve covers are not going to clear my 1.7Scorpion RRs. I have the top end of the motor reassembled, adjusted the rockers and then rested the valve covers atop the heads (gasket is attached to VC). They did not seat. Seems like it is hitting one or more of the poly locks or rocker body. The drip tabs had already been removed from when I had 1.6RR.

I don't particularly want to start grinding away at the valve covers and likely end up ruining them so I am looking into an aftermarket tall set. It seems that the Corvette LT1 valve covers are engineered to clear the alternator and many of the aftermarket covers are specified as non Y-body compliant for that reason. Canton seems to make a compatible set, and really good looking too. Is this the only 'tall' set that will clear the alternator? Any other sets?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't swear these will work, but they do clear my Crane Gold 1.6 roller set and they are notched to clear the alternator, they are pricey.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000050F#
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 168 Posts

I like the look of that set a lot, and it has the breather line in the factory location. Does cost significantly more than the Cantons though.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
I like the look of that set a lot, and it has the breather line in the factory location. Does cost significantly more than the Cantons though.
The oil cap supplied with those covers is a Mickey Mouse plastic one, but the PCV breather grommet is exactly like the factory set up which is nice. I was able to find a nice billet oil cap on e-bay that matches well.
If you choose them you will need to use the older style valve cover gaskets used through 92, the thin style used on the LT1 composite covers will not work.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I really like cantons, have one of their road race oil pans, excellent quality, good fit, and I could afford it, thankyou Dr. Huxtable. if I had the money , i'd buy canton valve covers.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 06-22-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tall Valve Covers for LT1, is Canton the only Option?

Quick Reply: Tall Valve Covers for LT1, is Canton the only Option?