C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Head Install - kicking myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default LT1 Head Install - kicking myself

Reinstalling heads on my LT1 and I mixed up left head from right head. On they went and then the intake. Now, I see that I didn't install the steam tube, I go to install it, and the heads are plugged in the back of the motor and the holes for the steam tube in the front.

I was able to pull the plug out of the driver head without a problem, and even get it into the front of the driver head. Passenger head, the 'square' in the plug stripped and I have nothing to wrench on. It was sticking out just a tiny bit so I tried welding a nut to it so I'd have something to turn but the weld would break when I applied torque. I think I am stuck pulling the head so I can drill/ez out the plug but thought I'd check here so see if anyone has run into such a situation.

Can I put the steam tube on the passenger head in the front? I imagine not since I believe coolant flows front to back so any steam pockets are pushed to the back. Any other solutions that don't require pulling the head?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're not the first to do this. On my Impala I went to install the steam tube and couldn't get the banjo bolts to start. There were plugs in the damn holes.. I tried everything but finally bit the bullet and put the heads on correctly. With the way that water flows through these heads I'm certain that the steam tube wants to be in the back.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. Of course it was the one I didn't want to hear - pull the head!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Bummer dude!!

This is a seal I found at NAPA, that fit the Banjo bolt perfect..

Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Just a suggestion.

Find a 1/2 nut that has an inside diameter about the size of the plug od. Weld around the inside of the nut to the plug & let it cool. You may need several weld passes.

GL
Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well everyone has done something wrong ,at least you were man enough to post it and I don't think I would .

Just buy new head gaskets and fix it right,you are out a little money and some time and I bet it will never happen again. good luck
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Just a suggestion.

Find a 1/2 nut that has an inside diameter about the size of the plug od. Weld around the inside of the nut to the plug & let it cool. You may need several weld passes.

GL
Was one of the first things I tried. I couldn't get a good enough bead on it. There is very little space to get the MIG wand back there, I couldn't do more than a little spot weld. Snapped as soon as I put some real torque on it. When the head comes off and I can put a real bead all around it, that will be my preferred method of removal. I hate the thought of drilling it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought I was the only one to do stuff like that. Really. I try so hard not to screw things up and then....stuff like this happens. Grrrrr.

I say there is a cost for the education you get when you work on cars. The cost of head gaskets is cheap compared to the cost of having someone who doesn't care about you car working on it.

Good Luck!!!

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Head Install - kicking myself

Quick Reply: LT1 Head Install - kicking myself