C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'85 Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
TSLinSTL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Electrical Issues

Have begun work on dressing up the '85 I got from my Dad. Car runs pretty well though the interior is pretty trashed. Looking for some advice on some electrical issues I am having.

1. Turn signals. Currently on the exterior all lights work when the signal is switched left or right. When using left turn signal the interior signal light comes on solid and the exteriors do not flash. When the right turn signal is used the interior signal light does not come on but the exteriors do flash. Any ideas where to begin.

2. Tach problems. The tach display does light up on the dash. The tach sensor is NOT plugged in to the distributor. If I plug it in to the dist the car will not start, it will turn over but not start. If I plug it in while the engine is running the engine shuts down. My Dad believes this to be a faulty Tach filter. Is this likely?

I have limited tools but I do have a good Simpson multimeter. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote, buy an FSM and start chasing wires.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

1- Check to see if there is any corrosion in light sockets, check for good grounds and check to see if bulbs are all good.

Some info from my 86 FSM >>http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Exterior%20Lights.pdf

2- Sounds like there is a short to ground in the wire or filter. Years ago my engine just died while driving. No spark, pulled cap to find I had pinched the tach wire between cap and base, which eventually cut through the wire and shorted to ground. Pulled it out and away I went.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I caught an engine harness one time between the bell housing and block. Have you had the engine out, replaced the clutch or tranny work where you may have pinched the tach wire there?

Get notified of new replies

To '85 Electrical Issues

Quick Reply: '85 Electrical Issues