C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What are you running in your crossfire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 775 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohn
My Holley Projection pulls to 6000rpms. Engine breaks up at 5800 however. I suspect the plug gap at .035 is too large. Same with N20 but then breaks up around 5200-5500. I am running a Accel coil in cap(50,000?) and Accel module. Think a MSD remote coil a better idea? Does my stock distributor allow for a remote coil?
The 50kV rating is just the insulation rating. It has nothing to do with the plug voltage, or the energy level which is the important thing in an ignition system.

Have you seen any parts specs to let you know if you gained, or lost, system energy with this "update"?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Rohn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modded the motor in winter of 2004. All wearable components were replaced brand new cept the bottom end. car has 66,000 miles on it. I replaced the coil, module, ign wires, cap, rotor then with accel components. I believed the Accel is an upgrade but now I was told GM is as good or better. with a 210/214 cam 113 lsa and an XRam rear wheel HP was 227 TQ was 267 5200 rpms. A/F on dyno was 11.9. Fuel distruibution as bad cept at WOT with heat sunk plenum. I had no WB back then. Since then I swapped in cam 224/230 114 LSA and Holley manifold and GM 7.4LTBI. Added EBL and perfected tune(12.8WOT). Well not perfect. Have not dynoed. SOP is loss of TQ under 3600 and probable HP gain as now spins to 5800 rpms per comp cams. Sounds like ign failure at 5800 rpms under load. Remote coil a better idea? Especially with N20 shot?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 84cfi
It is obvious that his ported stock intake held his crossfire back by .7 seconds, after his RENEGADE install he had a .7 second improvement.

I don't really see what the point of your post was.
The point was quite obvious...but here; I'll spoon-feed you.

In one thread, you discounded the effectiveness of porting the stock intake. You dismissed the gains and claimed that "porting alone doesn't do much". I have seen first hand, "porting alone" gain .7. Therefore, by your reasoning, a .7 drop in ET "doesn't do much".

Then, in another thread, you celebrate a .7 improvement from a manifold swap. .7=.7, no matter how you slice it...except the manifold swap was .7 on a modified motor, and the .7 on the ported intake was on a stock engine.

Now do you get it now? There is a double standard in you posts.

.7 drop in ET is fantastic for one single mod, whether it be porting or swapping parts.

-Tom
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohn
My Holley Projection pulls to 6000rpms. Engine breaks up at 5800 however. I suspect the plug gap at .035 is too large. Same with N20 but then breaks up around 5200-5500. I am running a Accel coil in cap(50,000?) and Accel module. Think a MSD remote coil a better idea? Does my stock distributor allow for a remote coil?
Remote coil (Accel SuperCoil) with the stock distributor.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
It did. But now wait a second; in another thread, you said:

...about the same .7 second gain that someone got from a ported intake...on a STOCK engine.

So which is it? Is .7 "not do much"? Or is .7 "really woke up"?
I think most will agree that .7 on a single mod is pretty damn good.
I total agree!

So if you have pretty much a .7 second gain from each. Best bang for the buck is the ported intake over the lead time and price of a renegade. Once again the ported intake wins when only makin minor mods

since others have posted there mods to the cfi I will as well.
1 of my 84's is bone stock. 229k and my wife runs a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile.

Mine
Ran a Xram for a while with dart eagle heads and 268H cam with .508 lift

Now
Holley Stealth ram run by a EBL ecm from dynamic efi
Patriot ported heads 190cc/64cc
Comp billet roller cam 230/236, .603 in/.608 ex
ultra pro comp 1.6rr
9.5 in 2500 TC
d44 3:45's
Hedmen elites
LT-1 true dual exhaust/ Borla ZR-1 mufflers
Nitto 555R
It'll move!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
84cfi
Racer

Do you have a 1/4 mile time yet?

Originally Posted by qws
I total agree!

So if you have pretty much a .7 second gain from each. Best bang for the buck is the ported intake over the lead time and price of a renegade. Once again the ported intake wins when only makin minor mods

since others have posted there mods to the cfi I will as well.
1 of my 84's is bone stock. 229k and my wife runs a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile.

Mine
Ran a Xram for a while with dart eagle heads and 268H cam with .508 lift

Now
Holley Stealth ram run by a EBL ecm from dynamic efi
Patriot ported heads 190cc/64cc
Comp billet roller cam 230/236, .603 in/.608 ex
ultra pro comp 1.6rr
9.5 in 2500 TC
d44 3:45's
Hedmen elites
LT-1 true dual exhaust/ Borla ZR-1 mufflers
Nitto 555R
It'll move!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 PM
84cfi
Racer

My point is the crossfire you are fanning about runs low 15's after a ported intake but a stock crossfire runs low 15's from the factory so no gain from rhat port job.

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
The point was quite obvious...but here; I'll spoon-feed you.

In one thread, you discounded the effectiveness of porting the stock intake. You dismissed the gains and claimed that "porting alone doesn't do much". I have seen first hand, "porting alone" gain .7. Therefore, by your reasoning, a .7 drop in ET "doesn't do much".

Then, in another thread, you celebrate a .7 improvement from a manifold swap. .7=.7, no matter how you slice it...except the manifold swap was .7 on a modified motor, and the .7 on the ported intake was on a stock engine.

Now do you get it now? There is a double standard in you posts.

.7 drop in ET is fantastic for one single mod, whether it be porting or swapping parts.

-Tom
Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

I know know Tom will jump on this also .... but it's not apples to apples comparison ... the comps MUST be done on the same motor to get a good relationship .... my motor is not going to be the same as anyone else s>>> period ..... even if they have exactly the same mods ... or set up or anything .... the best comp info comes from one motor ... giving data prior to mod and again after a mod ... comparing my motor ... even with 1/4 mile numbers here in Arizona can NOT be compared to a motor tracking in Washington .. with all the elements being so different ...

My example (comp) was a stock intake to the Renegade (all else very close to equal ... given temperature and climate pressure differences on the day(s) of the run(s). AND given the fact we're still not there with tuning as it should be as explained in the post ....

(edit) it has been confirmed the ported stock intake will improve performance as will the Renegade .... to what degree and the differences in between ..... still to be determined)

((disclaimer .... posted for clarification ... not confrontational))

Last edited by LastC3AZ; 07-07-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Send me one whos owner has already had it at the track.

Then test after he puts it back on.

Any takers?
Oh yeah
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hal1phx
I know know Tom will jump on this also .... but it's not apples to apples comparison ... the comps MUST be done on the same motor to get a good relationship .... my motor is not going to be the same as anyone else s>>> period ..... even if they have exactly the same mods ... or set up or anything .... the best comp info comes from one motor ... giving data prior to mod and again after a mod ... comparing my motor ... even with 1/4 mile numbers here in Arizona can NOT be compared to a motor tracking in Washington .. with all the elements being so different ...

My example (comp) was a stock intake to the Renegade (all else very close to equal ... given temperature and climate pressure differences on the day(s) of the run(s). AND given the fact we're still not there with tuning as it should be as explained in the post ....

(edit) it has been confirmed the ported stock intake will improve performance as will the Renegade .... to what degree and the differences in between ..... still to be determined)

((disclaimer .... posted for clarification ... not confrontational))
I got a kick out of the disclaimer...and in my opinion your absolutely correct.

I also see that this thread will turn into exactly what the OP wants it to, just used a twist off words for the title but still looking to start the same debate over again. (3 years later)

I noticed my earlier post had been deleted about asking the OP about his mods and got no answer. I did notice in his profile he's using the Renegade and am very courious about his experience with the intake? He has used everyone's else's data but hasn't given his own opinion about it....so lets here it please..
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been 1982 & 1984 C3 & C4 Day & Night conversation this Thursday July 07, 2011............

I have to ask,

Is anyone in the USA using one of these engines in NHRA Super Stock Competition ?

Those guys are masters of extracting every last bit of torque & HP from an engine bored .010" over for a rebuild & no cylinder head or intake porting allowed.

They can run any spec camshaft they want & exhaust system and trans & rear differential gearing.

Gut the car of unnecessary weight & install a 8 or 10 point rollbar.

12's, 11's, 10's, high 9's in the past.

What can be wringed out of a CFI 350 ci engine anyhow modded with a heavily ported CFI &/ or a Renegade CFI intake ?

I really don't know.
Why I am asking.

Forgive me for saying this,
But to me the easiest way to get easy HP & torque from a CFI engine is to lose the induction system.
Install a good High flowing modern aftermarket intake or single plane or better yet an intake ported & prepped by WILSON intake mainfolds.
Long tube Hooker Headers or Headman's.
Good 4bbl carb like a Holley H.P. , Braswell, or Bo Laws modified & prepped HP based Holley 4bbl.

Some CFI diehards are PO'd right now I know.
But its just my opinion tonight.

I am totally open to being educated correct if you can prove to me you can wring out 450- 550 Flywheel horsepower in 355 ci , no stroker crank kit & Modified CFI induction system.

You CFI guys are being terrorized daily this summer driving season by C5's, C6's, modded later C4's, Jack Roushe Supercharged Cobra Supercharged Mustangs, V12 Ferrari's modded for 700+ flywheel horsepower, Crotch rocket Haybusa's running over 200 MPH at will, and fast & furious Honda's running around with 28 Psi + turbo boost pushing over 900 HP on the streets at night running for $$$$.

Those are the kind of cars I have seen in Illinois in the past running around & Chi town when driving my 87 Vert around.
I tried racing them all.

LOL

When at a stoplight the awesome low end torque of the L98 TPI shot me ahead 50- 100 feet.
But those late model muscle machines smoked me badly afterwards.

Down 200 to 500 Horsepower.

I drove a 1982 C3 Silver Collector Anniversary Vette for 2 summers back in College when I was studying for my AAS in Electronics technology & Auto Mechanics.
The college girlfriend's Dad's car.
Had 1,500 miles on it when I 1st laid my eyes on it.
2 years later, I racked up 20,000 + miles on the clock.
Was a fun car but not Super fast like a C3 powered BBC.

410 stroker sbc.
Someday soon for me.
Headers.
In she goes.

Brian
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 84cfi
My point is the crossfire you are fanning about runs low 15's after a ported intake but a stock crossfire runs low 15's from the factory so no gain from rhat port job.
I'm only posting to keep the FACTS straight in this thread, not to respond to you, because you, I and a few others here already know that YOU know...that what you're posting is BFS.

The car in question made it's 100's of "before" runs, and 100's of "after" runs, all at 4500' actual elevation, on 7000'+ DA's. That accounts for the reletively slower times.

As hal1phx and qws correctly stated, the GAINS are what matters and this gentleman realized .7 improvement from a ported intake alone. Which by any reasonable person's measure, it pretty darn good for a single, essentially free mod.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Brian ... you are spot on regarding getting the most out of a SB motor.

Some of us however are not about all that ... in fact, if i were to have wanted a monster C3, i would have built an LS2. My goal was to retain as close to original CFI as possible, while getting the most we could out of that set up ....

There's always going to be faster .... just depends on what your goals are going into a build .... I feel we're getting close ... and am happy with the results so far .......
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hal1phx
Brian ... you are spot on regarding getting the most out of a SB motor.

Some of us however are not about all that ... in fact, if i were to have wanted a monster C3, i would have built an LS2. My goal was to retain as close to original CFI as possible, while getting the most we could out of that set up ....

There's always going to be faster .... just depends on what your goals are going into a build .... I feel we're getting close ... and am happy with the results so far .......
Yes,

It is good to have set goals.

You are embarking in the CFI performance territory where GM gave up in 1984.

BBC is still king.

Built right normally aspirated, Supercharged, Nitrous, or Twin Turbo.....

Only a 426ci Chrysler Hemi( monster cube Hemi to match) setup in similar trim can dethrone it.

BBC belongs in a C3.

BR

Quick Reply: What are you running in your crossfire?