C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is Driving with a "Knocking Flywheel" OK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is Driving with a "Knocking Flywheel" OK?

I believe I have a knocking flywheel and I was wondering if there is any harm that is going to come to anything, other than the annoying noise at idle by doing this? Is the flywheel in danger of totally coming apart, or is it just some slopiness on the internals of the flywheel? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calvinlc
I believe I have a knocking flywheel and I was wondering if there is any harm that is going to come to anything, other than the annoying noise at idle by doing this? Is the flywheel in danger of totally coming apart, or is it just some slopiness on the internals of the flywheel? Thanks!
A knocking sound means something is not right. It will be cheaper to get it inspected / fixed now, if you wait, you could be sorry, very sorry.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The dual mass flywheel gets too much play in it. That is what is causing the noise..... Don't know if would come apart, but i certainly wouldn't drive it knowing there is a part spinning thousands of rpms right under my legs with a bunch of teeth on it...would you????
Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

A half hearted or full miss fire @ idle will cause the flywheel to rattle. Check compression, insure the tune is good & test the injectors. A fresh set of Bosch 3's from Jon @ FIC eliminated the flywheel rattle @ idle on my 90.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
calvinlc
Instructor

Hmmm...funny that you mention injectors. I just replaced my TPI with a Miniram and just used the SVO parts (24 lb/hr) that were on there. Maybe I should swap back to my "known good" injectors, although it does make the "death rattle" sound when the engine shuts off.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 396 Likes on 325 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You didn't mention and/or confirm if you're running a DMF. If so, rattling is not a death sentence (like some here would lead you to believe). If it rattles the most on shut-down, that's not an issue. If it rattles while at a stop light, you either have a miss or someone converted to a SMF.

The only thing that will cause DMF failure is a compromised seal -- according to the expert, Bill Boudreau. It does not hurt the motor to continue running a DMF with weak springs.

If other things contribute to rattle (like the need for a tune-up, bad injectors, etc..., consider repairing that to minimize annoyance and rattle).

If you have an automatic or non-ZF transmission, ignore this post. You're car is about to EXPLODE!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

As long as you were sure that the knocking problem is indeed the DMF, I do not think it is going to separate and grenade...
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM
calvinlc
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
You didn't mention and/or confirm if you're running a DMF. If so, rattling is not a death sentence (like some here would lead you to believe). If it rattles the most on shut-down, that's not an issue. If it rattles while at a stop light, you either have a miss or someone converted to a SMF.

The only thing that will cause DMF failure is a compromised seal -- according to the expert, Bill Boudreau. It does not hurt the motor to continue running a DMF with weak springs.

If other things contribute to rattle (like the need for a tune-up, bad injectors, etc..., consider repairing that to minimize annoyance and rattle).

If you have an automatic or non-ZF transmission, ignore this post. You're car is about to EXPLODE!

It is a DMF with a ZF, so no explosion here The fact that I just put the miniram on without changing the tune on the computer might be a contributor.

The rattle totally goes away at anything above 1100 rpm.

--Calvin
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my '89 around for almost a year with the "knocking flywheel" while I tried to decide whether to go back to DM or go SM. No issues at all, other than the annoying 'clunking' sound whenever I would shut the car off. But there's an easy solution to that: shut the car down with the clutch depressed. No noise.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Psychored
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flywheel was making the same annoying noise at idle. I decided to change to a SM from SPEC with a stage 1 clutch. My car definitely has a miss, as I need to change injectors (which is next on my list). In any event, is there a market for a used DM flywheel and clutch with only 40K on the car?

Get notified of new replies

To Is Driving with a "Knocking Flywheel" OK?

Quick Reply: Is Driving with a "Knocking Flywheel" OK?