C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

targa top headliner template

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default targa top headliner template

anyone replace their targa top head liner... i tore the old headliner out, cardboard and all. anyone made their own cardboard template to mount the cloth too? if so how did you go about making it?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I actualy got the old cloth off the cardboard in my `90. I then bought a roll of black carpeting at Pep Boys for around $20.00. Its pretty thin for carpeting, but it is perfect for headliner material. I then glued the carpeting to the cardboard, trimmed the edges with a razor knife, & reinstalled it. (mine was held to the top with Velcro strips). Looks perfect & only took about two hours.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
I actualy got the old cloth off the cardboard in my `90. I then bought a roll of black carpeting at Pep Boys for around $20.00. Its pretty thin for carpeting, but it is perfect for headliner material. I then glued the carpeting to the cardboard, trimmed the edges with a razor knife, & reinstalled it. (mine was held to the top with Velcro strips). Looks perfect & only took about two hours.

thanks

did anyone make there own cardboard peice
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
raiderz
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes...I made a paper template first. Taped together and folded to size a bunch of pieces of computer paper. When formed i laid it on top of a thick grade cardboard and cut out the around template. A bit more subtle trimming to size of cardboard and it was ready to glue headliner material to

whole process took about 1.5 hrs...looks great
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but these comments got me to thinking about whether it would work to make a headliner similar to described and potentially velcro to my fiberglass Targa? Might would cut a lot of the greenhouse heat out during these bright sunshine, 100F days.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:32 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by cuengineer
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but these comments got me to thinking about whether it would work to make a headliner similar to described and potentially velcro to my fiberglass Targa? Might would cut a lot of the greenhouse heat out during these bright sunshine, 100F days.
Its been done. Some of the Corvette suppliers such as Ecklers, MAM ect. used to sell a pop in sunscreen. Don`t know if they still do.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

you could use posterboard to make your template or newpaper. Trim with a box knife is about all you'd have to do. Then, transfer to your final material...cardboard probably.

there is some leeway for err IIRC. that's because it sits UNDER the rim of the top's frame.

WAIT!!! I might not have used cardboard. To get extra headroom, I glued headliner material directly to the roof.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 PM
DarkBlue88
Pro

Location: Charlotte NC, behind someone going 10 under the speed limit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing to use is corrugated plastic cigarette signs from gas stations. They're throwing them away all the time. I used one and covered it with black headliner material. The material is cheaper to get from an interior shop than a parts store though. $12 bucks I think is what I paid then had to buy the glue.

I actually made it for my clear targa, and wrapped the material over the edges and it ended up stuffing up in there so tightly that nothing is needed to hold it up. Takes away less headroom than the fiberglass targa.

Get notified of new replies

To targa top headliner template

Quick Reply: targa top headliner template