C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

....:-|....cam it.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 AM
Vetster88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ....:-|....cam it.....

Ok I was going to run the 60101LK voodoo cam.... we pulled the intake and to my non-disbelief found a suspected roller cam. So we're changing the cam to a roller to retain originality, life, function, performance, you know the list.

I want an after market cam that is a good strong performer with a port matched stock TPI intake. I'd like 400Ft LBS, and a nice lope/noticed idle... was thinking the 270h cam. I dont want to have a powerband up high, thus I might not get that nice lope. anyone running the 270h? input on it? opinions of it? etc??

Also, anyone running a different cam? street manners? mpg? (yes I said MPG, I was getting 34 on the high-way with stock cam, i'd settle for 30 lol) mpg and ride are important factors however I know there are cams out there that can help reach my goal and retain those two factors. surging associated with a large cam is what I want to avoid.

ideas? input? all greatly appreciated
Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 AM
stevie1dr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM answered.

Steve
Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Why not use the 60101 in roller form? It will have a smooth idle but makes real good torque.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

hi vetster88, i have just put a 60102 voodoo in my 85. but wont be able to run it yet still waiting for heads to arrive,
I did a bit of reading on CF but it pays to to read the manufacturers websites as they have some good info on cam selection and understanding how cams work,
the 60101 is a fairly mild cam, keep in mind that going to 1.6 rockers can alter lift by around .30 thou more.
to get the lope generally it requires more overlap, and that is largely affected by the lobe separation, the standard cam has 114 degrees and the voodoo 60101 and 60102 have 112 degrees, the roller voodoo is around 112 too, any more overlap than that, say 110 degrees will see too much overlap for a tuned port induction with problems such as reversion unless you use short tube inlet systems, but as yours is fairly stock i would suggest that 112 is good.
I see that the compcams xfi series use 113 degree cams.
so what you get at one end you lose at the other, especially with cams, you get more lope, you lose more fuel economy.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You can't determine what'll give 400ft/lbs thru a cam alone. The OP was inadequate. Without info posted on supporting mods, who do you expect to answer questions about a 270h cam? Is that the 270HR (hydralic roller)? What are the specs? What are your mods?

I agree with Vetteoz that 112LSA is a good number to shoot for. Exhaust duration may be as much/more responsible for "lope" than overlap. Though, it's probably both. I have a 111LSA cam with less lope than the 112LSA hotcam. But, my duration is less -- especially on the exhaust.

Edit...In general though, most people would recommend staying under 230 to insure smooth idle characteristics. Actual results could depend on the quality of your tuner/tuning facilities. I'd have to say you wouldn't get ANY issues staying under 224 duration (intake). Unless you have something really good (like AFR) for heads, you'll want more exhaust duration. The hotcam is a good, all-around choice for people wanted to avoid spring/clearance problems, too much lope, or driveability problems. With .520" lift (1.6 rr), it's enough for the type of build you probably have.

If the 60101 is (much) less than a hotcam and you're talking about 400ft/lbs of torque, you must have aftermarket heads, headers....

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-01-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Accel LPE 211 and the TPiS ZZ9 both work well with TPI and retain good torque values. Both are tried and true with lots of users. Also change your springs. The GMPP Hotcam spings will work and are inexpensive.

Get notified of new replies

To ....:-|....cam it.....

Quick Reply: ....:-|....cam it.....