C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.

Does anyone have any information on sites where I can ask information on how to rebuild my ltx?

My goals are liter bike stomping performance. Forced induction, solid roller, AFR eliminator competition ported heads, etc.

Is camaroz28.org a good place to ask questions how to do this?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Uhhhh....with over 6000 posts, why are you asking this question?

I guess we should send you to:
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/index.php

BYE!!!

Wait!!!! Brian? Oh Brian? Where are you?

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're here and you're home. There are guys on here that could suck a liter bike in the intake and blow 20 50cc scooters out the exhaust. Just list what your goals are and open your wallet real wide. Some of these guys on here will be glad to see to it that you eat bologna for the next few years. Just wait......here they come

You're going to need some serious power to do the quarter at 10.50 and 145 mph. It won't be real street friendly though. 650 Horsepower at the flywheel should be getting you close. That would be a killer 383 build with a 150 shot of nitrous or some boost. That's possible.

Last edited by 1963SS; 08-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

BYE!!!

GREGGPENN, as a 10 yr member (in a month), I can assure you c4 tech / performance is not the site it used to be.

All those gurus we had stretching the envelope, 5 years ago, either got bored of their projects and rarely post ... or moved on to c5/_c6 based projects.

If I go to c5/6 section there's all kinda of intense engine tech discussion going on. Especially with forced induction.

If I go to camaroz28.org, there's all kinds of insane solid roller turbo ltx bbased projects. Much more so than here.

Now, id like to bring back what I learn from those sites and share it to reinvigorate c4 tech/performance.

Lately, it seems like what most people discuss here is how to fix a broken optispark or something, not how to beat liter bikes (go to c5/6 forced induction and yeah.. those guys are discussing how to do that).

Someone made the comment that a 10.5 car wont be street friendly. I totally disagree. Plenty of c5/6s that do that and more and are street friendly.

In the old days where all you did was went more cubic inches/ big cam / sticky tires and gears then yes you are correct. The cam you needed would have you choking on fumes at idle.

Now people make that same power (and more) and run it on the street, pass the sniffer, etc. They do it via forced induction. Superchargers, turbochargers, etc.

Id like to find out what I can abt building up a mean ltx (as I described in my op) and share what I learn
Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

So...Have you looked at the LT1LS1 site? I'd look around at several. The camaro site sounds promising and that you've already checked it out. Maybe there aren't much in the way of SC builds for LT's anywhere now? I'm guessing nothing in the FI forum either?

Also, just because this "isn't the forum it once was", doesn't mean there aren't archives full of relevant posts.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
1963SS
Drifting

No, I said it won't be REAL street friendly. You will lose some driveability, the torque converter will need to be a higher stall, mileage etc.

I have a Impala that does 11.76 NA in the quarter and it's real friendly on the street and weighs around 4300 pounds. I imagine it's making about 550 at the crank and if it were in a lighter Vette it would probably be in the high 10's. I'm currently building a SR engine for the Vette and look to make a ton and 1/2 of horsepower. There is a little surging at times but not real bad. Performance cams will sometimes rock and roll a little at 1500 RPM's. A build like mine or others on this site with a little boost would get you there.

There has been more performance talk on here of late and I for one hope it's coming back. The knowledge is here. Every forum has many younger people that have lofty goals and broken wallets and even the education of them is interesting. I enjoy sharing anything I know and even some things I think. I will usually try to answer about any question and let someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong. That sets up a sometimes healthy debate but some people tend to take an honest mistake as a personal attack on their intellect. C'mon now, you guys know who you are.

Last edited by 1963SS; 08-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Does anyone have any information on sites where I can ask information on how to rebuild my ltx?

My goals are liter bike stomping performance. Forced induction, solid roller, AFR eliminator competition ported heads, etc.

Is camaroz28.org a good place to ask questions how to do this?

You can ask me anything you want.

You realize that your talking about a car that can get down to the tune of mid 9's at over 150mph in the 1/4 and then still top 180mph....

There aren't many REAL street cars OF ANY KIND that can do that.

As far as the fastest LTX's.... All you need to do is look at the LTX shootout result for the past couple of years... Last year Tony Shepard ran 9.11@152mph.... and his car ain't even close to a street car.

These are the fastest LTX's in the country and only a handful of them are even in the 11's or faster....

Yet everyone on the internet seems to think they can build a 383 with NO2 and run mid 10's....

Last edited by rklessdriver; 08-01-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
You can ask me anything you want.

You realize that your talking about a car that can get down to the tune of mid 9's at over 150mph in the 1/4 and then still top 180mph....

There aren't many REAL street cars OF ANY KIND that can do that.

As far as the fastest LTX's.... All you need to do is look at the LTX shootout result for the past couple of years... Last year Tony Shepard ran 9.11@152mph.... and his car ain't even close to a street car.

These are the fastest LTX's in the country and only a handful of them are even in the 11's or faster....

Yet everyone on the internet seems to think they can build a 383 with NO2 and run mid 10's....
theres nothing special about liter bikes.

Depending who you talk to, the fastest bike runs anywhere from 10.4 to 9.84 w/ a professional rider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Hayabusa

99% of who's going to be riding these is not going to be a capable professional rider who's comfortable wheelstanding it past 100 MPH to turn its fastest time, but rather someone who's afraid / does not know how to achieve that type of performance.

a 10.5 car is going to annihilate these things, especially from the kind of highway-style rolls on the racetrack that you are going to see.

Go to camaroz28.org and read about ltx builds.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

If I go to camaroz28.org, there's all kinds of insane solid roller turbo ltx bbased projects. Much more so than here.
I'm telling you that these people are outright lying or too stupid to be posting their drivel on the internet.

Anyone with that kind of $$$ to spend would be moved on to a real race car or C6 if they had half a brain.

As far as the C5/6 crowd, lots of big money spent on underperforming cars out there. Same with the Surpa, GT500 and GTR crowds. Dyno queens that won't fall out of a tree in a real race of any kind.

The internet is full of know it all's who dream up this bull crap and if you keep listening to them your going to end up spending a fortune and not even have a car that runs before this is all over.

BTW a 10.5 car on the street. Get serious. Who ever told you that dosen't have a clue. My fathers shop builds the engines for an NMRA outlaw car. $52K for the motor alone. 14.1 compression 632 BBF on 3 stages. Powerglide with a 5800RPM converter. Round tube, double frame rail from the firewall back. More bars to crawl around/over/under than a kids swing set..... Your going to drive that on the street?

As for one of those "crazy turbo LTX projects" that use to be on here and z28.... It's sitting in a friends garage broken and is going to cost thousands of thousands of dollars to fix because the builder was an internet god, know it all, who as it turned out was in way over his head and really didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to building this type of car.

Will
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Depending who you talk to, the fastest bike runs anywhere from 10.4 to 9.84 w/ a professional rider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Hayabusa

99% of who's going to be riding these is not going to be a capable professional rider who's comfortable wheelstanding it past 100 MPH to turn its fastest time, but rather someone who's afraid / does not know how to achieve that type of performance.

a 10.5 car is going to annihilate these things, especially from the kind of highway-style rolls on the racetrack that you are going to see.

Go to camaroz28.org and read about ltx builds.
I race my 92 every week. My family builds race engine for a living. I see them every weeks at the track. I ride a Speed Triple and can leave most any street driven automobile. Done so on many occasions.

Local guy has a new 10R and he's no Rickey Gadson. Dead stock it went 6.70's @114mph in the 1/8th mile. Strapped down he's in the 6.30's.... That's almost a second and 10mph faster than my 92.

Crap man anybody in a stock C6Z can surprise a douche ride on a Busa and hand him a few car lengths for a little while. I thought you were talking about actually building the kind of power it takes to out run one.

Again with the 10.5 references. Take it from someone who actually wrenches on one. YOUR NOT GOING TO DRIVE IT ON THE STREET.

My brothers X275 Mustang can whip up on a liter bike. Guess what, your not going to drive it on the street either.

If these clowns on z28 have street cars that are so fast, where are they?? They could be a runaway in 10.5 outlaw or X275, and then crusing the mean streets on off weeks taking down guys like me.

I'm telling you there are a hanful of people in the entire country that have a steeet capable car that is really that fast and they arn't posting the build details on the internet or bragging about how they are taking down liter bikes.

But I'll tell you what. I do this **** for a living and I got the chedder anytime any place. Anybody over there on z28 bragging about their liter killer build that is in Northern VA, DC or MD and wants to come and prove me wrong is welcome to send a PM and we'll go see what they got.
Will
Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Anyone with that kind of $$$ to spend would be moved on to a real race car or C6 if they had half a brain.
What kind of money are we talking?
And could you tell me a little more about the race car and C6... I dont follow what point you are making.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Why couldn't you drive it on the street? Like I said earlier, my Impala goes 11.78 and weighs 4300 or so. I've heard that approximately 100 pounds equals a tenth, give or take. The Vette is a thousand pounds lighter so with my very streetable engine a Vette should be in the high tens to eleven flat. A little boost from a supercharger should easily net another 1/2 second. You're there at 10.5. Again, my car gets over 20 MPG with me and two drunks in it with the A/C going and cruising at 80.

It does stumble somewhat at lower cruising RPM's but after much tuning I feel that is the nature of the beast. I can always grab a gear and keep it away from the 1500-1800 range. I think it's very possible and even probable.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ls1lt1.com is good. ls1tech.com also has a good lt1 section. those guys have no problems taking the 4th gen lt1 camaros into the 9's 10's and 11's
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

You're right, there IS something special about a 10sec C4 though. You really ready to replace the entire drive train and build a motor/SC combo for...IDK $20K+? (How about a nice Z07?)

Is this for street or strip? If strip, do you NEED the fastest 1/4m time possible. I'm betting Will could tell you how much more expense the drivetrain needs to build and HIT something THAT hard! Can you afford to fix/refix with each break?

If it's for fun, I guess a 396 with a FIRST intake, SR, or MR wouldn't provide enough "fun"....How about if it had a 100 shot on top of that? Still gonna break something I bet.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-01-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=dizwiz24;
Someone made the comment that a 10.5 car wont be street friendly. I totally disagree. Plenty of c5/6s that do that and more and are street friendly.

[/QUOTE]

David, I think you need to clarify what you mean by a 10.5 car.
Here in the drag racing world is what is normally considered a 10.5 car http://www.streetcarsupernationals.com/oscontend.html

I may be wrong, but I think you are talking about 10.5 seconds. But FWIW even in a 10.5 second world, its going to be hard to do with any reliability in a street car. IMO 11.xx is about the limit and keeping it street friendly.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

BYE!!!

You rang?

Here's mine

click on my site for details

still breaking in the clutch.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

If I asked about this in the c5/6 section they'd say I can.

If I asked about this hear it seems the answer is 'i cant'.

Back in 1988 a c4 was running 254.176 mph w ac, cats, and was driven a thousand miles to the track and back.

Its been done before.

I've messed arnd with nitrous and don't like it. Specifically how it makes more power on a full tank vs. Half tank even when using a bottle heater to spray at the same psi.

Forced induction is the way to do it and make it streetable.

Get notified of new replies

To can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Sitting around and talking about making HP is great, getting to the pavement and driving that HP is a TOTALLY different story. The latter separates the men from the boys. You can number and internet race all day long....line them up and race them. You might have less HP than some blow hard, but if you drive it and put the power down. It is over.

The BS stops at the Christmas Tree, put up or shut up.

I have noticed that ricers, Mustang, and Camaro guys tend to have a lot of blow hards in their ranks. They talk a lot of crap but never produce any. It is easy to talk smack on forums and stuff, talk it at the track and see what happens.

If you got the $$$, knowledge, skill and vision, you can build anything you want. Look at TachOuts project.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If some "REAL TUNERS" comment here I think they will say what they have dynoed and tuned. I don't mean Joe blow with a laptop and some cables playing with things on his car some one else built. I am sure there are some insane super charged 383- 396s running around in 2011 on the strip and street.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Why couldn't you drive it on the street? Like I said earlier, my Impala goes 11.78 and weighs 4300 or so. I've heard that approximately 100 pounds equals a tenth, give or take. The Vette is a thousand pounds lighter so with my very streetable engine a Vette should be in the high tens to eleven flat. A little boost from a supercharger should easily net another 1/2 second. You're there at 10.5. Again, my car gets over 20 MPG with me and two drunks in it with the A/C going and cruising at 80.

It does stumble somewhat at lower cruising RPM's but after much tuning I feel that is the nature of the beast. I can always grab a gear and keep it away from the 1500-1800 range. I think it's very possible and even probable.
We are not even on the same page with the ternimalogy.

This is a 10.5 car. And us at 7.0's is middle of the field in NMRA (althou consistancy wins races). The turbo guys (Conrad S and Mike M) are capable of 6.50's in qualifying trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRN60Q9N0DE

Your bat **** crazy if you think you can drive it around on the street.

As far as street cars. My 92 6spd runs 11.10's at 127mph on a 315/35R17 radial with a high 1.70 60ft. I stuck there because I can destroy the rear end anytime I want by simply dropping the clutch too hard on launch.

Yea if I stuck my little weak sauce LTX in a race car with a 9" and braked powerglide it would go mid 10's easy and could run a bike to death from a dig. But then it would be a 10 second race car and nothing resembling a street car.

What kind of money are we talking?
And could you tell me a little more about the race car and C6... I dont follow what point you are making.
Your not going to build a 9 second (even 10 second) street car with bolt ons. I have nearly $8K in just the engine in my 92. A cool $800 between the clutch and FW. Nearly $1K in the rear end and still it breaks all the time. 4pt roll bar just so it's legal to race at the track.... well the local 1/8th mile.... No I'll take that one back, because as of now I don't even have enough roll bar for as fast as I'm going let alone what the car is capable of on a bonzi pass with real tires under it. A cool $1K in track wheels and tires. Add in the $11K I paid for a mint condition 40K mile 92 6spd and all the little stuff it takes to get something of this caliber running and driveable. Your now on the good side of $25K in a high 10 second street car (when it don't break) and it's still just a 92 Corvette.

I spent it because I love car. It was a project that I wanted to do for myself and it kinda spiraled out of control for a while - but come on with my credentials and connections I could have easily built the GM equal to my brothers X275 car for the same $$$ and had a race car nearly 2 seconds faster than what I do have (of course the 24mpg, 93 octane gas and AC on a 100* day sitting in DC traffic is nice to have).

A c6Z with a built diff/tranny and bottle or turbo kit would be as fast or faster than my 92 depending - but the cash outlay is going to be more still.

To knock another second or nearly so off of either is going to require a built engine in the c6Z or a bottle/turbo/supercharger on my car. On top of $25K already invested. Requirement for more roll bar, fire suppression system, Both rear ends are iffy now... how about after we slap another 200hp on them....

I just know some clown is going to come along at any min and tell you how he runs faster than me with a bolt on stock bottom end 93 F body, and that it's on an autozone clutch and the stock 2.73 geared 10 bolt never breaks....

Like I said in my post above, bring that BS on. I know what it takes to run that fast. All the BS on whatever internet site is just that.

Back in 1988 a c4 was running 254.176 mph w ac, cats, and was driven a thousand miles to the track and back.
One car in the 12yr span of C4 production. Engine built by one of the highest caliber professional engine builders/racers in drag racing history and the rest of the car built by a legend in the Corvette world. How much was a regular B2K?? MSRP on the Sledgehammer?? Yet there is all this talk about how easy it is to duplicate or even surpass from the b team on z28.....

Yea! Let me have a hit off that crack pipe.

ls1lt1.com is good. ls1tech.com also has a good lt1 section. those guys have no problems taking the 4th gen lt1 camaros into the 9's 10's and 11's
You have been reading too many internet performance claims and it's affected your ability to process a clear train of thought. I linked you to the LTX shootout and there were (get ready for it) 0 cars in the 9's last year. 3-4 cars in the 10's and maybe 10 cars in the 11's. If these internet guys making all the 9 second claims were for real, they would have easy pickings at the most prestegious LTX race in the world.... I'll be there with bells on waiting for them in September.

Like I said at the beginning of this. In the REAL WORLD there are maybe a handful of street cars capable of that kind of performance. That is because there are only a handful of people capable of building them and those people don't really fool with LT1's and definatly don't post about it on z28.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 08-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.