C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

opti drive shaft question

Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default opti drive shaft question

Just got my new opti.

The drive shaft that goes into the timing chain cover popped out.

I tried to put it back but it wont fit in the same place.

my question is : Do I just slide the new opti there ? I didn't try that cuz i'm at work .

is there any seal I need ?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
active1951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn it

on mine I just turn it a lil in either direction so it will "find" the correct position(must match the groove), like when puttin optifart on, gotta turn it a lil then it will slide in, I have a 94.

Last edited by active1951; 08-02-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spillin
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by active1951
on mine I just turn it a lil in either direction so it will "find" the correct position(must match the groove), like when puttin optifart on, gotta turn it a lil then it will slide in, I have a 94.

I was thinking to do the same but I was wondering why the old drive shaft wont go in.

is there any seal needed for the hole that drive shaft goes in ? or just direct fit ?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
active1951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mohammed_z
I was thinking to do the same but I was wondering why the old drive shaft wont go in.

is there any seal needed for the hole that drive shaft goes in ? or just direct fit ?
Mine is a direct fit. I think seal is in timing chain cover. I will not have mine apart until tomorrow.
Just turn the shaft a lil and try to push it in, it will go eventually, once the flat spot matches up. When puttin optifart on you wull do the same with the optifart bearing, move it a lil until it finds the flat spot on the shaft.
Once everything is lined up it should ALL push on WITHOUT any heavy pushing pressure.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The sleeve in your first picture is for the waterpump NOT the opti.
It goes back on the upper splined shaft.
Your opti slides into the middle hole.
Look at the opti and find the filled gap between two splines.
Shine a light in the hole and find the missing tooth
the filled tooth has to align with the missing tooth, rotate the engine or the opti until you can match the two (I rotated the engine until the gap was on top and then rotated the opti shaft until it aligned)
The opti should "pop" on - any resistance you don't have them lined up.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Drew1Down
Instructor

your new opti should have come with a new gear, use the old gear key to line up the new one, then with little fingers turn the opti shaft a little bit each attempt when trying to slide it on. remember, little wiggles! and it should slide on.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Good idea to change out those seals..15 minute job but you need a special tool to really get the water pump seal in right. I got it off ebay from a guy who makes them..looks like a big aluminum bullit..keeps the rubber lip on the seal from folding in on itself..others have used a magic marker cap..but for 17.00 I would go with the tool..the opti seal just pops out and in..cheap insurance against a water or oil leak trashing the opti...

Get notified of new replies

To opti drive shaft question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: opti drive shaft question