C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

no "Enable Fule" signal from CCM??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no "Enable Fule" signal from CCM??

I have a 91, L98 coupe. I am having a crank but no start prolem. I can spray starting fluid and the engine will fire right up, until the starting fluid is all gone. Sometimes it continues to run, sort of. It sputters and backfires and usually dies pretty quick.nnIf it doesn.t die it occasionally will seem to smooth out and run right.

I think I have an intermittant loss of "enable fuel" signal from the CCM to the ECM.

Is the only fix a replacement CCM or can this be bypassed? Does it just provide a 5 volt signal to one of the pins of the ECM? Or something like that?

Last edited by Strike3; 08-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that the "enable fuel" is sent as a data stream over the serial bus (CCM to PCM) and is not just a 5 volt signal. If there is a problem with the fuel enable signal I think you should have a code 54 stored.

I would be sorely tempted to put a gauge on my fuel line and check my fuel pressures to verify you thoughts. Since the problem seems to be intermittent you may need to tape the fuel pressure gauge to your windshield and watch it as the problem occurs. Good Luck
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
stoydido
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strike3
I have a 91, L98 coupe. I am having a crank but no start prolem. I can spray starting fluid and the engine will fire right up, until the starting fluid is all gone. Sometimes it continues to run, sort of. It sputters and backfires and usually dies pretty quick.nnIf it doesn.t die it occasionally will seem to smooth out and run right.

I think I have an intermittant loss of "enable fuel" signal from the CCM to the ECM.

Is the only fix a replacement CCM or can this be bypassed? Does it just provide a 5 volt signal to one of the pins of the ECM? Or something like that?
I see that you followed the thread by SEA4. He was lucky to find the problem without replacing the entire fuel and elec systems.

I would ohm the injectors, hot if possible. verify fuel pressure. a whole list of things before assuming that it is ccm or ecm. a rich condition might behave the same way. the starting fluid would overcome it.

the list is long, but start with some easy tests to get a clue, rather than speculating. if you follow these threads you will see many guys who "believed" if was this or the other and after replacing everything, they were still not running.

if it immediately followed fuel pump change, that cannot be ignored.

jc

Get notified of new replies

To no "Enable Fule" signal from CCM??

Quick Reply: no "Enable Fule" signal from CCM??