C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 starting problem...need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM
79Rod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 87 starting problem...need Help!!

1987 Corvette L98
Ok, heres the problem: when I turn the key the engine wont cranks. I jumped the starter enable relay (yellow and green wires) and the engine cranks, but just start for 3seconds aprox. then dies.
then I have to wait 1 min aprox to do the same. If I dont want to wait that minute the engine just crank but dont start.
Checked:
spark: ok
fuel pressure: ok
No SES codes
16.3 ohms all injectors

I measure the key pellet resistence: it measure the same on the key and on the plug that its located running down the steering column. so I think it cant be the key cylinder.

what could it be?? I think its a VATS problem. Can anyone post a wiring diagram please??
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Did you try your spare key?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

....... Do the diagnostic check on the Ignition control module ... or have it tested ...... ( most national auto parts chains will do this free ) ... or replace it ...... That should solve the running problem ... the no-start is VATS .............
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Your symptoms are of a defective connection of the ignition lock with the key pellet. VATS won't allow a crank, nor will it allow the injectors to pulse if the VATS module measures the pellet resistance more than 4% from its assigned value. If you do measure the resistance less than 4% from the assigned value and the start enable relay won't close, then you might have either a defective start enable relay or a a defect in the ECM. If the relay is bad you can jump the start enable relay and the car will start and run. That your engine won't continue to run makes me believe that the problem is in the ign lock. A new lock has new contacts that make connection to the pellet. Also, if it is the ign lock you can connect a resistor the same value as the pellet across the two wires in the wiring harness going to the VATS module and your car will crank, start and continue to run.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM
79Rod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfb
Your symptoms are of a defective connection of the ignition lock with the key pellet. VATS won't allow a crank, nor will it allow the injectors to pulse if the VATS module measures the pellet resistance more than 4% from its assigned value. If you do measure the resistance less than 4% from the assigned value and the start enable relay won't close, then you might have either a defective start enable relay or a a defect in the ECM. If the relay is bad you can jump the start enable relay and the car will start and run. That your engine won't continue to run makes me believe that the problem is in the ign lock. A new lock has new contacts that make connection to the pellet. Also, if it is the ign lock you can connect a resistor the same value as the pellet across the two wires in the wiring harness going to the VATS module and your car will crank, start and continue to run.
I jumped the starter enable relay and the engine cranks...but run just for about 3seconds...then dies.
Another test I did was: I grounded the starter enable relay direct from battery ground--> the engine cranks and dies after 3seconds. This test told me that the problem is not the starter enable relay, is the ground source for the starter enable relay. My question is: what gives ground to the starter enable relay???
I think something is cutting off fuel (injection pulse)...because I have spark and fuel pressure.
thank you guys for your post....
Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79Rod
I jumped the starter enable relay and the engine cranks...but run just for about 3seconds...then dies.
Another test I did was: I grounded the starter enable relay direct from battery ground--> the engine cranks and dies after 3seconds. This test told me that the problem is not the starter enable relay, is the ground source for the starter enable relay. My question is: what gives ground to the starter enable relay???
I think something is cutting off fuel (injection pulse)...because I have spark and fuel pressure.
I will bet you $2.00 also like I did with Sammy,
Calderone.................

Scroll down & you will see he has similar starting issues on his 1987 C4 Coupe too.

BROKEN PASSKEY Lock cylinder wires.

NO One believes this ex GM Master Mechanic.

LOL

I have PayPal.

Both You & Sammy deposit your $2.00 each when You find out I am right.

LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
Your symptoms are of a defective connection of the ignition lock with the key pellet. A new lock has new contacts that make connection to the pellet. Also, if it is the ign lock you can connect a resistor the same value as the pellet across the two wires in the wiring harness going to the VATS module and your car will crank, start and continue to run.
Had a similar problem a few years back. Turned out to be a defective ignition lock on the steering column (worn out). Changed it out and it has worked fine 100% of the time ever since.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There may be a delay before VATS cuts off the injectors. You are getting it to crank by bypassing the start enable relay but it sounds like VATS is still cutting off the fuel.

I have a flaky Start Enable Relay, or a short on circuit 965. When I intentionally trigger VATS either by taping the key or disconnecting the wires under the dash my car will crank, catch for a second, but not run.

I explored this in rediculous detail here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-question.html

It sounds like you have a VATS problem. Brian may be correct as to why.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 PM
djoksch
Intermediate

I used a dental hook, reached into the key cylinder and bent the pellet contacts out (very carefully). Next, I cleaned the contacts for all door switches. The ECM needs its VATs ok signal to start (starter, injectors for a start). This worked fine for about a year, and after my wife was stranded, I disabled it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

what could it be?? I think its a VATS problem. Can anyone post a wiring diagram please??
http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Vats%20Electrical.pdf

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
I will bet you $2.00 also like I did with Sammy,
Calderone.................

Scroll down & you will see he has similar starting issues on his 1987 C4 Coupe too.

BROKEN PASSKEY Lock cylinder wires.

NO One believes this ex GM Master Mechanic.

LOL

I have PayPal.

Both You & Sammy deposit your $2.00 each when You find out I am right.

LOL

Sammy has a problem with VATS module not supplying ground to enable relay.
His VATS module is supplying the signal to ECM to allow injector pulse.
His VATS module seems to be very happy with the lock cylinder wires and the input they send.

You owe me $2
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 PM
79Rod
Intermediate

thank you agent86 for the diagrams.
I also have to mention that once I had a code 46
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
79Rod
Intermediate

yesterday I connected the Bakers electronix bypass.
Guess what..... the engine dont start..
I bought the dual frequency..tried both signals and nothing happens.

also I measured continuity from ECM to all injectors: continuity OK
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same symptoms as your orriginal post?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM
79Rod
Intermediate

problem solved.....(I forgot to connect the fuel pump fuse)
that baker electronix VATS bypass do the trick.
awesome!!!
thank for your posts guys.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 PM
silversurfer57
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
Did you try your spare key?
Need some help here, bought an 87 vette, need another ignition key made with chip , only have vin number , is this enough?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Rod Schneider
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer57
Need some help here, bought an 87 vette, need another ignition key made with chip , only have vin number , is this enough?
Take the key to any Chevy dealer. They have a tool that reads the key and they can cut you a correct one.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
silversurfer57
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gurgling noise

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
Same symptoms as your orriginal post?
When decelerating on my 87 vette, it sounds like a gurgling almost struggling noise? Muffler? need some help here.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 starting problem...need Help!!

Quick Reply: 87 starting problem...need Help!!