C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need diagnostic advice:

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
kvette94
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need diagnostic advice:

I have owned my 94 LT1 coupe for just over a year and it has run beautifully, until yesterday. It started right up, as per usual, then after about an hour's rest the engine took about 10 seconds of the starter running before turning over. The "check engine" light illuminated and stayed on. It was super low on gas (almost to the "reserve" notice) so I put in about 3/4 of a tank of Shell 93, without shutting down the engine. It ran about 1/2 mile, stuttered and shut down completely. Just before it quit I watched the gauges and all read normal. The electronics, power windows and starter run with their normal power. So, it must not be the battery or alternator. I figure it might have something to do with the fuel delivery to the engine.
What are the symptoms of the fuel filter being plugged or the fuel pump not working???
Am I on the right track...?????
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuel pump is a good candidate. There is a tire valve like device on the fuel rail where the injectors are. With key on, press in the valve and see if there is gas pressure in the rails (be careful). You can also spray some starting fluid into the intake and see if it runs. If there is no pressure and/or it runs on starting fluid, you can assume a fuel delivery problem, pump electrical or pump itself.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... There are no sensors to the ECM in the fuel system ... it sounds like you were running in limp-home mode with the SES light on ... check for codes then follow the diagnostic flow charts in the Factory Service Manual
Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C409
..... There are no sensors to the ECM in the fuel system ... it sounds like you were running in limp-home mode with the SES light on ... check for codes then follow the diagnostic flow charts in the Factory Service Manual
Do you think it'll throw the lean fuel code (55 i think...)? That's the only code I can think of off hand that could be caused by a bad fuel pump.

First... FSM.

Get a fuel pressure gauge. You can pick one up at any auto parts store. Tape it to window, drive around and keep an eye on it. Looking for inconsistent pressure, pressure drops, etc. Watch specifically when it sputters or dies.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
bjm206
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link below will show you how to retrieve codes stored on your cars computer.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Depending on what codes are stored you may need to invest in a factory service manual to run the problem down.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm206
The link below will show you how to retrieve codes stored on your cars computer.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Depending on what codes are stored you may need to invest in a factory service manual to run the problem down.

I think this a place to start to at least find out if there is a relevant code. NAVY_VETTE has a point but I don’t really think it will occur based on my own experience of running out of gas completely the day I bought my car. (gas gauge did not work). No codes were set for me.

Whoa….slow down…..not so fast…no need to run out and buy a fuel pump yet.

Not saying the pump can't be bad, but there's almost no data to substantiate that and very little data in the initial post.

Kvette94, you at least need to listen first to see if you can hear the pump run for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON. If the pump does not start every time, then that could be the problem

You might be able to verify NO pressure in the fuel rail by opening the valve and nothing came out. But you can't tell the difference between 15 or 40 lbs of pressure and I don’t think 15 will run the engine. Get some real data before you spring for a pump. Get a fuel pressure gauge and find out what's really going on. You can always use the gauge and will have it for life.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fuel pump problems don't set codes and trigger SES light. The car is trying to communicate with you so read the code.

Get notified of new replies

To I need diagnostic advice:

Quick Reply: I need diagnostic advice: