C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HOW FAST ARE YOU???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 04:29 AM
XtremeVette420
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW FAST ARE YOU???

OK, my friends are totally riced out and in love with their turbo cars...don't ask. Like they are really fast, but they bash mine all the time. How fast are your LT1's stock and then with mods. Like they say MOJO is full of poopie and all the rest of you because the magazines post times no faster than 13.7 to 13.9 for my car. They even say that the ZR-1 is only a 13.1-13.3 car because they've never seen anything faster and yet again that's what the magazines have. The magazine article is a valid arguement only because the guys who drive those cars get paid to be professional drivers because that's what they are, but I feel they are wrong and I need proof. They say mojo is either bs'ing his times or he doesn't have a stock vette and no one knows about it because you can't check a car over for that shiznit. Help me out guyz, I don't know what to do. I got so :mad over it I was ready to kill them both. :mad :mad :mad
Old 05-05-2002, 05:26 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (XtremeVette420)

as far as you mentioning Mr. Mojo....and I am sure he will say the same thing Iam about to say.....

but perhaps if they can't make it...I know Frank has got movies of his car running....

and as far as the times go....and cars being stock or not....you can talk until you turn blue to these kinda people.....won't do you any good...so i guess ya just gotta tell them....hey you are entitled to your own opinions....but as for me and the rest of the corvette forum ....

WE KNOW THE TRUTH....

Ricers will always be like Rice Krispies.....Corvettes will always be like Top Soiloin Grade A Choice!

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 05-05-2002, 01:18 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (XtremeVette)

They can talk all the $h!t they want. Even if my corvettes were slow, I would still own them over a "fast" ricer. Don't get me wrong, there are reasons to own a Honda or whatever, but to go fast isn't one of them for me. Unless the ricers are turbo charged to the hilt and all wheel drive, I don't get to concerned with them. Even the nitrous cars are slow. I see them at the track with huge slicks and totally gutted running high thirteens. WoooHooo. The corvette I just built with very little tuning and street tires ran a 12.5@111. These are not inflated times on a cold day at a downhill track with a pro driver. I am sure there is more left in the car, that was just the first time out. I think I will stick with corvettes. They talk $h!t because that's all they have.

[Modified by ANTI VENOM, 9:19 AM 5/5/2002]
Old 05-05-2002, 02:24 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (ANTI VENOM)

Why is it that everyone uses the Corvette as the benchmark for how fast their POS is???? Its funny. No matter what it is either, mustangs, vipers, F-bodys and porsches are one thing but now the economy sub-compacts turned hot-rods are getting ridiculous. There are rare exceptions when a ricer doesnt have to look and sound ridiculous and cost plenty to come close to a Vette. No matter how fast they can get it it will never look as good as a vette and if the ricers were normal they would agree. I cant wait till that crap is out of style again !!! :sad: :chevy
Old 05-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Janaelen
Racer

Any Supras by any chance? I love rice with my meals

Old 05-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There are plenty of fast stock Vettes out there.
Mr. Mojo's LT1 has gone low 13's just about every time out.
He has time slips in the Drag Racing section, take a look.

Vic

Old 05-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The first time I ever took my car out to the track I ran a 13.8. I'd never even been to the drag strip before. Turns out my clutch wouldn't take the punishment at the track. It would hold on the street just fine, but would slip under WOT. Coming from a 4-cyl car, I thought it was plenty fast and never noticed.

After I installed a cam and only ran 13.6 I knew something was wrong. A new clutch later I started running 13.0's Now I run high 12's, with still terrible 60' times. I'll run mid to low 12's if I can get the 60' times down to reasonable levels.

I've got some video's of me and some other's http://www.wku.edu/~nathan.plemons/video/

Look at the f-body wheelstand and show me a honda that'll do that. That car is street driven EVERY day. The best part is that the cars in the video's don't look any different than any other car, fast without trying to make it "look" fast like the ricer's do.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:36 PM
JB'S LT4
Racer

My bone stock 96' LT4 with only a gutted air box ran a best of 12.93 @ 110mph..And i've seen similar 94-95 LT1 C4'S W/A 6SPD running only a few tenths slower :eek: ..Next time one of the ricers brings up times posted from a magizine article just ask them what it posted for a time on there Civic, Integra etc. It's very rare too find one that ran under a 15.5 sec 1/4 mile :rolleyes:
Old 05-05-2002, 02:56 PM
red-y
Drifting

I had an interesting discussion with a jerk, who had his Cobra up on a rack at the local speed shop, tell me that unless you were in the 10 second's your car would not turn you on. (He said make your you know what hard). right there and then I knew I was talking to an idiot. I told him that I spent most of my time hunting Cobras on the street. To bad yours is on the rack or we could see who gets turned on or off. Just after that the owner of the shop said to me was that guy giving you a hard time? I said that he tried to, but with his car up in the air I was not concerned. The owner said that he is full of hot air and you would have blown him away. So the moral is talk is cheep, you want to run or talk...?? Bucko.. :seeya By the way I was there checking on a nitrous system for another 100 HP - At that point I will be around 400 RWHP
and still hunting Cobras or whatever if they ever come off the rack. :lol:

[Modified by red-y, 1:01 PM 5/5/2002]

[Modified by red-y, 5:21 PM 5/5/2002]
Old 05-05-2002, 04:50 PM
XtremeVette420
Instructor

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (red-y)

Hey guyz you got my thoughts exactly but just so you know what I'm up against down here in Dallas here ya go...a 94 TT Supra that's in solid low 12's maybe high 11's with a badass driver....a 94 Dodge Stealth TT that's in the high 12's maybe....94 300ZX AUTO that is bone stock but is looking at future mods. I made a bet with my friend who owns the supra that I'd race the 300ZX and beat him for $20. I can handle this and the owner of the 300ZX doesn't even think he's gonna win, oh well. :D
Old 05-05-2002, 05:52 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Extremevette420, don't forget to invite some of the ZR1 brothers to the party. There's quite a few good and exceptional running Z's in the Dallas - Fort Worth area.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:54 PM
jtjerry
Racer

guys
there is a lot really fast cars not only vettes
I have vette, lexus and mitsu colt.
My 1993 mitsu colt 1.8 litre DOHC 16 valve normally aspirated, has about 170 hp after really small mods (intake filter and custom exhaust), weight is 2100 lbs, and make 0-60 MPH in 5.5 sec. It revs more than 8500 rpm and feel it can do that all day. Fuel economy is 27 MPG city/40 MPG highway.
It looks as normal econo car (almost- has lowered suspension) so beatin’ that fast BMW 325 every time I want is really fun.
My vette is something faster but not so much (5.2 second to 60), and has no chance on twisty roads.
The best in that mitsu is: engine and tranny from mitsu eclipse 2.0 litre turbo fits in engine bay.
After really small perf mods that 2 litre turbo has 250 HP, with more mods you will see 350 HP no problem. Car weight 2100 lbs, any questions?
I know vette look as dream car and I love drive it, but there is a lot another fast cars.
Jerry
English is my week point.
:yesnod:
Old 05-05-2002, 05:55 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (vettl83)

Extremevette420, don't forget to invite some of the ZR1 brothers to the party. There's quite a few good and exceptional running Z's in the Dallas - Fort Worth area.
:yesnod: It never hurts to bring a big brother to a party.:)
Old 05-05-2002, 07:16 PM
XtremeVette420
Instructor

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (vettl83)

I know, you're exactly right...but I don't know anyone over here in dallas yet because my nose is constantly in a book studyin for that next "worst exam ever". I finish this semester this thursday and then start Cal. this summer so I won't be completely free till after July 3. I can't wait to start getting involved, but then again I'm leaving for OU this August. I hate school, gets in the way of more important things like....my car. :D
Old 05-05-2002, 10:28 PM
vette_tweak
Racer

X, it's typical for ricers to use Vettes for benchmarks. Last night I went out to watch some street racing; it was mostly ricers. As soon as I drove through the crowd, I had people walking up to me asking me to race. A guy with a Crx wanted to run bigtime. Having the racing bug, I really didn't care who I ran. He had a Civic SI Motor with NOS and a gutted car. I'm sure he thought my car was stock - he wasn't far off because I'm selling the car so I had stk tires on it. Let's just say on a drag radial, vipers are easy for me. I lined up, we went; I spun through 1st,2nd, 3rd and then peddled back for traction; I was ahead all the way :D ; He said he missed a shift and wanted to go again so we did - same result. At the end he was thrilled about the whole thing - I really don't think he cared if he won or lost; he was running for the fun of it.

Even if could run 10s and he won, to me it's not a big deal. It's all in what you prefer. Drive around in a nice shiny vette that will eat vipers; requires little maintenance and costs $15K or a gutted out CRX with a motor that has little power unless it's revving 9000rpm and on the NOS or turbo'd, requires constant maintenance, and costs $25K?

There's another factor here too - what car would your girlfriend rather be cruising around in? (kinda obvious because the CRX has no front pass seat). " Hey babe, I brought out the CRX tonight!, hop in "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This sort of thing happens on the highway too... That same night while driving home, a Civic pulled up beside me while we were doing 130KPH. He sat beside me for a bit, then the passenger gave me the "let's go" hand gesture. He hit it then I hit it. The 700R4 geared down to 3rd and I left him like he was sitting still. V8s RULE!! :D

Old 05-06-2002, 02:32 AM
jtjerry
Racer

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (vette_tweak)

v8 rule
till you meet big heavy breathing supra :) with guy that made some perf mods...
by the way the fastest stock CRX is only about 8- 7.5 sec to 60 MPH...
Jerry
Old 05-06-2002, 04:16 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZR-1, I saw in person, go 12.65 with nice street tires and a K&N. :yesnod:

Turbo's are cool, on a built motor, not a bandaide to make a slow car go fast. Eventually I will have turbo's. :reddevil

Just for what its worth, my L98 stock when 14.4 stock, and with about $3,400 worth of mods(not including the new bottom end, which, btw was my fault), I'm still 100% street legal, get 28+ mpg, and should turn a high 12. I say should because I'm afraid to break it again before I graduate. Thats $6,900 base plus $3,400 for performance, mmmmm, $20K+ Honda's for lunch all day. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To HOW FAST ARE YOU???

Old 05-06-2002, 04:20 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (jtjerry)

Heavy breathing Supra on a stock motor = oil on the wall at the dyno.

You also have to consider the driving factor. At the end of the day, they still have to drive an econo-box home from the track.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:04 AM
01GT
Racer

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (vette_tweak)

Who in the hell would want to drive those rice SHI#BOXES!With the exception
being the TT RX7 and TT supra.The corvette is and will always be the target
for which all american performance cars will be measured.It has been around
the longest.The ricers mess with me so much in my GT it is almost unbearable.
And let's not forget those damn Saturns-what are they smoking?I have
NEVER seen people drive cars so wrecklessly.
01GT
Old 05-06-2002, 09:07 AM
HTRK-1
Pro

Default Re: HOW FAST ARE YOU??? (NoWorries)

You can make rice fast...but it's still rice. :cheers:

Quick Reply: HOW FAST ARE YOU???