C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS Long Tube Runners

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default TPIS Long Tube Runners

I have purchased an used set of runners for my 86 coupe. TPIS has discontinued the runners. I have read that the stock bolts do not work on the TPIS runners. Does anyone who installed these runners know what size I will need??? Also are all the bolts the wrong size??

thanks for the help...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:10 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If they are like the SLP runners then 3 of the bottom bolts are longer than stock.
( like 3" long)
All you need to do is measure the boss length and add 1/2"
same UNC thread as other bolts ( 6 bolts needed )
Socket head bolts preferred for ease of access

Last edited by rodj; 11-27-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

They are from TPIS.com. Here is the link....http://tpis.com/parts/view/30. I am assuming that SLP's are a different brand.

thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you should read rodj's post again, this time for understanding
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rrt898
I have purchased an used set of runners for my 86 coupe. TPIS has discontinued the runners. I have read that the stock bolts do not work on the TPIS runners. Does anyone who installed these runners know what size I will need??? Also are all the bolts the wrong size??

thanks for the help...
They still have them in the catalog. When did they discontinue them? Are you talking about large tube runners? Maybe they only discontinued the ones with the provision for the ninth injector.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just looked and you're right they are not available at this time. I wonder if the are actually discontinuing them? I'll try to call tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Contact AZ Speed and Marine...I think they are the ones that made those runners
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

TPIS sells the big mouth base and runners. You bought those runners from me. Glad they arrived. TPIS does NOT make those runners and they do NOT make the base. I tried to purchase the base awhile back. Eddlebrock makes the base. They "discontinued" it because Eddlebrock couldn't keep up with the demand for themselves and TPIS so they put TPIS on the back burner. Yes, AZ DOES make those runners for TPIS. I talked to them about it. They are discontinued because once again, AZ put them on the back burner. It cost them more and the customer time to wait until they catch up so they discontinued it. TPIS has GREAT American made parts. Everything they sell is made in america and most is made in house by them.

I just wanted to let you know why they were discontinued. They will really wake your vette up. I rode in a 87 before and after with just TPIS runners and it was night and day. The runners I sold you are slightly ported and the plenum was hogged out. Both done by cusinartvette who you did talk to. Best of luck on the install. it was a bear and takes time. Please do not rush. you want to make sure everything is tight and fits well. In the end, it is worth it.

P.S. you might get bruised knuckles. I did. But I also have big hands.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Default Tpis

Originally Posted by M.J.L.
TPIS sells the big mouth base and runners. You bought those runners from me. Glad they arrived. TPIS does NOT make those runners and they do NOT make the base. I tried to purchase the base awhile back. Eddlebrock makes the base. They "discontinued" it because Eddlebrock couldn't keep up with the demand for themselves and TPIS so they put TPIS on the back burner. Yes, AZ DOES make those runners for TPIS. I talked to them about it. They are discontinued because once again, AZ put them on the back burner. It cost them more and the customer time to wait until they catch up so they discontinued it. TPIS has GREAT American made parts. Everything they sell is made in america and most is made in house by them.

I just wanted to let you know why they were discontinued. They will really wake your vette up. I rode in a 87 before and after with just TPIS runners and it was night and day. The runners I sold you are slightly ported and the plenum was hogged out. Both done by cusinartvette who you did talk to. Best of luck on the install. it was a bear and takes time. Please do not rush. you want to make sure everything is tight and fits well. In the end, it is worth it.

P.S. you might get bruised knuckles. I did. But I also have big hands.
Thanks for the reply...I thought you knew I have them because of the confirmation..sorry. I guess Edelbrock has the name with the demand. I don't think its right but; that's business. Right now they are at the powder coater. I did purchase a stainless steel bolt kit so it would all look the same. I will let you know when I am done hopefully after Christmas.

thanks again..matt

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS Long Tube Runners

Quick Reply: TPIS Long Tube Runners