Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Open lid filter mod LT4

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 AM
rosros
CF Senior Member

Default Open lid filter mod LT4

Looking at Mid America open lid mod for the lt4 without the K&N filter for $39. How does the open lid respond to rain showers or car washes? Seems the open element if front of the car may pose problems, especially going with stock paper elements. If it is non-issue I would give it a try.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 AM
MarkBychowski
CF Senior Member

Even with an open air filter lid, the air filter is shielded from the outside by the radiator shroud so water won't be an issue. Some of the cold air induction systems do potentially expose it to water ingestion, but that's a different setup from what you're talking about.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 AM
llong66

save the $39 and just cut your lid, its a good mod
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 AM
rosros
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by llong66 View Post
save the $39 and just cut your lid, its a good mod
Although I read a dyno test with stock, open lid, claw and concluded not real gain, but does not hurt either. I would cut my lid but after that it is not reversible for resale. 39 shipped is cheap enough mod and still have stock lid in need be.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 AM
96 lt-4
CF Senior Member

I believe you may see any gain from it while at speed.Don't know that the extra area will help as much sitting still(dyno).At speed there is a lot of air moving across the area.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
rosros
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96 lt-4 View Post
I believe you may see any gain from it while at speed.Don't know that the extra area will help as much sitting still(dyno).At speed there is a lot of air moving across the area.
That was pointed out with comments afterwards; that the test was done in a static environment. Driving fast in real world conditions, the other cold intake might show more improvement gains over stock. What the test did show was that the stock set up is already very good (the large intake/air cleaner was very efficient) and for the average driver spending extra here is not necessary. The Claw does look cool.

Pretty much the same for the exhaust as the stock lt4 setup is pretty free flowing with little gain using aftermarket exhaust cat backs. Even the LT4 cast exhaust manifold is pretty well engineered. The stock setup on the LT4 has a built in X pipe. However Going to a 3 inch aftermarket exhaust does see more modest gain. The aftermarket cat backs do present a better sound. Apparently Chevy went with the muted route since that is what they thought the average consumer wanted back in 90's. The C5 z06 with the titanium exhaust shows what Chevy could have done if they wanted to.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
96 lt-4
CF Senior Member

The stock lt4 exhaust does not have an x-pipe.It has an h-pipe with a resonator which is the most restrictive part in the system IMO.

I would replace the resonator with an x-pipe and call it good.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
93Rubie
CF Senior Member

Um...unless the LT4 resonator is different than one on a LT1, it is NOT restrictive at all. The tubes are straight thru. They do narrow down just a bit at the ends however, but straight thru otherwise.

I have an open air lid, no issues even in rain. I cannot say I noticed any difference but it has got to be a bit better than the stock unit on my 93.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
rickneworleansla
CF Senior Member

Save some money and cut the lid yourself. It's not really worth any horsepower but it beats giving money away to one of the catalogs. My old setup...

For water to be ingested in the ram air setups the intake would have to be under water. So you would potentially ruin your carpet and have to title your vette as a flood vehicle as well. My current setup which is no longer being sold...

This is the inside of a 95 resonator from another member...

I did an X-Pipe and muffler eliminators before the other exhaust mods and was very happy with the sound. You also drop a good bit of weight and clean up the look in the back...

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 12-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
rosros
CF Senior Member

Rick, very helpful pics. I was looking to modify exhaust with the usual options: replace resonator with x pipe and leave stock muffler, leave resonator and replace muffler with flowmaster, do a complete cat back, or use x pipe/stock resonator with muffler eliminator.

would be nice to hear each options, but not practical. did hear muffler eliminator on a pick up truck, it was loud. was thinking about your set up with chambered tips. not looking for nascar loud, just a sizable upgrade from stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Open lid filter mod LT4

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: