C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 - starter motor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 - starter motor question

Hello,
I have a question about starters - specifically for an 85. I posted this in TECH section to get some TECH information.

I DONT (DO NOT) have a question about solenoids, hard start conditions, or anything else. I just have a question about starter motors. Please dont post anything that says buy a new starter - their cheap - autozone this or that ... or whatever. Not interested in that information.

Other than cleaning, painting and whatever, what do they do when they rebuild a starter? What fails on high mileage starter motors (brushes, bushings, the gear ???). In other words what is the end of life scenario for a STARTER MOTOR. What typically wears out after 10/15/20 years? What parts are included in a rebuild kit?

Thanks very much.
Tim
Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say you dont have question about solenoid.

ok
just checking
Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by hitmanpty
you say you dont have question about solenoid.

ok
just checking
Thanks for the reply ... yeah ... just the starter. I get the solenoid.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Brushes,Brush springs wear. Springs lose tension.Armature wears where brushes ride. Bushings etc.Bendix drive wears. You can probably get most of the parts but it will take some searching.Look in the FSM for the procedure to test the armature.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Brushes,Brush springs wear. Springs lose tension.Armature wears where brushes ride. Bushings etc.Bendix drive wears. You can probably get most of the parts but it will take some searching.Look in the FSM for the procedure to test the armature.
Thank you. Yeah, ... I know they turn the armature to get rid of the groove where the brushes ride. I guess the armature could delaminate because of heat over time and cause an open. I didnt realize the springs lost tension.

Thanks again.
Tim
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Look around your area for a good auto electric shop.Local rebuilders..Alternators,Starters etc.. Way better than the parts stores.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Look around your area for a good auto electric shop.Local rebuilders..Alternators,Starters etc.. Way better than the parts stores.
That's the Tip-of-the-Day. You da man!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Well i had a starter fail, the number one cause no shims or clearance checks to the flex plate!!. One day while cranking the engine "Clunk whizzzzzzzzz) the alloy housing with the small gear broke
The rest of the starter was fine....... just needed another starter.
It now has the correct clearances

The other problem is the bakerlite solenoid cap gets hard and cracks when you have headers too close.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having repaired more than a few starters, I try the test.

I'd say the number one failure is worn brushes

Number two would be the moveable contact in the solenoid that acts as a relay to pass high current to the starter motor. On many starters this is just a round copper disc that can be turned over to allow the use of a non-arced contact surface.

Number three would be armature bushings worn allowing the armature to rub on the stator.

Four would be a dirty/gummed-up shaft on the solenoid not allowing engagement. (I know you said no solenoid but it is hooked to the starter.)

Starter repair kits typically have all these parts included. You'll usually get brushes, bearings, bushings, brush holders and contact tip kit. You'll need a can of carb cleaner for the armature shaft and some dry film lubricant for the starter gear shaft. Do not use normal lubricants as they will pick up dirt and fail within a short period of time.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Well ok guys ... let me tell you whats up with this. Talking about failure mode - it wasnt the gear or the ring gear spacing. It wasnt (isn't) the solenoid. Its kind of unusal and suprising.

I think it is the original starter. I replaced the ring gear when the trans was rebuilt 20 years ago.

This is what happened the other day. When I start the car - I usually turn the car and crank it for a couple seconds and pressurize the fuel line. I usually have to do it a second time. When the fuel line is pressurized, it cranks and starts with a second. Its always been that way. When the fuel line is not pressurized, it could crank and crank and crank for several seconds before it starts.

So, I cranked it twice as usual ... on the 3rd try ... nothing ! Nothing at all. Silence. No solenoid noise. No nothing. Lights are bright, horn works, checked for fuses ... every is normal except I get silence when I turn the key to start.

So, what was the problem and what is the fix. I think you guys are saying the brushes are the problem or maybe weak brush springs (no tension). I dont think its bushings although bushings are probably worn pretty well. How do you think i started it? I had someone turn the key and hold the key in the start position ... and i crawled alongside the car and I reached underneath the car and hit the starter with a 5# mallet. Bink bink ... vroom. Just like that, no phone calls, no tow, blink blink vroom. Yeah, i know, get a new starter but I'd rather just replace the worn parts. It doesnt have to be nascar certified ... Its just a driver. I just want to replace the most likely parts so I dont have to carry a pillow and blanket and mallet around with me.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

GM starters are the worst for heat soak of the solenoid. I had a Suburban with headers that would not crank when it was hot. I learned to short the solenoid terminals bumping the starter just enough for it to cranks with the key. Of course this was after pushing the 5800# beast a couple of times by myself to pop the clutch. I was much younger then

Not saying this is your issue but do check for any heat damage as well just in case.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
golfervet
Navigator

have an 85 vette with an 84 steering column installed. My brother says when you turn the wheel, the horn blows. I dont know what to tell him. I said to replace the relay. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfervet
have an 85 vette with an 84 steering column installed. My brother says when you turn the wheel, the horn blows. I dont know what to tell him. I said to replace the relay. Any ideas?
Hold the key and hit the starter with a mallet?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a no start condition sometime,old trick tapping on the armature don't work...in my case went out to be a bad wiring contact inside.Just touching the wiring let it start.Since it is discontinued when it comes on i simply tap on the wiring ...broom

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 - starter motor question

Quick Reply: 1985 - starter motor question