C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a sound system!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need a sound system!

For my 92.
1.)Will the power antena work with any system?
2.) Are the stock speakers worth retaining with the addition of a sub?
3.) What system is has good reviews? Don't need anything with lots of options.. Just CD and a sub outlet.
4.) A while back I seen some aftermarket speaker housings for sale on here. Havent been able to find anything online?

THANKS!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

1.)Will the power antena work with any system? It should (work for me with JVC XR810).
2.) Are the stock speakers worth retaining with the addition of a sub? Bose or no Bose? The specs say the following, "Three sets of preamp outputs let you add amps and subs to your system, including a dedicated subwoofer output that enables you to dial in the right amount of bass quickly and easily."
3.) What system is has good reviews? Don't need anything with lots of options.. Just CD and a sub outlet. See below.
4.) A while back I seen some aftermarket speaker housings for sale on here. Havent been able to find anything online? Can't help there.
Here is something I posted a few days ago. Hope it helps.
"You don't mention whether you have a Bose system or not. I posted a comment few days ago for one with a Bose system as I have gone through this exercise twice in the last 6 months in my 1990 and my son's 1991 (both Coupes with Bose systems) and I believe it should be applicable to your '96. I purchased the same radio for both cars (JVC-XR810). It is a double din and it fits perfectly into the dash. This radio has a USB port in the front and back and it is Iphone ready. It comes with a bluetooth adapter that I plugged into the rear USB port. The radio has a microphone and connects (via Bluetooth) to our Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. I can play all the songs on my Iphone wirelessly and the sound is perfect only interrupted if I recieve a phone call that I can answer hands free. The radio can be purchased for $178.98 at Best Buy. I had the radios installed by Best Buy as they charge less when you buy the radio from them. Best Buy doesn't stock the installation kit (Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051) or the Bose adapter harness (Metra 70-1857 Tuner Relocation and Bose Integration Harness for Select GM Vehicles), both of which are available at Amazon.com. You may want to pick up two PAC SNI1 Noise Isolators as aftermarket radios (this one at least) picks up some high pitched engine noise. Installation cost was about $125 for each vehicle. Make sure that your Bose amps in the speaker housings are in working order prior to the install. If you have a bad amp or two, you can find them on eBay used or send yours in for repair (also on eBay). Both radios work great. That Bose sound is terrific even with 20 year old speakers. BTW using the Metra wiring harness and my old speakers saved me $400 which was the cost to rewire all the speaker housings (speakers were extra). For you purists out there, this modification is reversable if you ever want to put the old radio back in (which Best Buy says it will do for free!)."
UPDATE: Don't see the radio on the BestBuy website anymore. Still available on Amazon.com for about $175.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Forum has a great Audio/Electronics section and you can find answers and recommendations there.

Also contact forum member C5 Bearsfan for some suggestions. He is a CF Supporting Vendor and his business is called Double D Mods. He has systems for C4's. He is also a wealth of knowledge on car audio systems and he willingly provides some fantastic tech support to anyone who asks.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The Forum has a great Audio/Electronics section and you can find answers and recommendations there.

Also contact forum member C5 Bearsfan for some suggestions. He is a CF Supporting Vendor and his business is called Double D Mods. He has systems for C4's. He is also a wealth of knowledge on car audio systems and he willingly provides some fantastic tech support to anyone who asks.
I checked out the Double D website. Nice stuff but it looks like he is into mostly C5s. What I shared on this thread earlier, I learned the hard way. I am not a retailer or professional installer. I just wanted a new radio for the 1991 (which I was giving my son) and the setup worked so well, I did a second identical install in my "new" 1990.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

COOL! Thanks for the help bro's
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
DSPark13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

UPDATE: Don't see the radio on the BestBuy website anymore. Still available on Amazon.com for about $175.[/QUOTE]

JVC KW-R500 according to crutchfield this is the replacement!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
jimmyp90c4
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that info guys, mine is shot and tired of getting it fixed.

Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM
mandingo214
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info, thanks. I need to do something with the stereo in my '96.

Few questions:
1) Why two PAC SNI1 Noise Isolators vs. one?
2) Does one of the Metra kits plug into the back of the JVC, then plug into the two connectors that currently plug into the stereo head, or do new wires need to be run back to the CDM?
3) Does the CDM get removed, or at least out of the loop?
4) Does the antenna go up when the radio is turned on?

Thanks.

Last edited by mandingo214; 03-07-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: More Questions
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just replaced my Bose stereo with an Alpine CDE W235 BT and 4 new Alpine speakers. It sounds great and the stereo fits perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a sound system!

Quick Reply: Need a sound system!